The badassitude … is in.

YouTube Preview Image

Oh snap, indeed.

While the rest of the world is referring to this as a “bad attitude” or “prick behavior” or “douchebag behavior,” I refer to it as “awesome.”

You know they probably had the camera on him for minutes prior to this, just waiting for the announcers to cut over to him, and he’s no Kim Kardashian who would shrivel up and die if the camera didn’t properly appreciate her presence at the game for an appropriate length of time, so yeah, “You got enough, bro?”

Get on with your badass self, coach.

[snap snap]

[throws signs]

(h/t Charles)

1. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 20, 2012 11:17 am

Sorry…part of the job Coach Tomlin…

Chill the eff out….

• Mike Frazer
      February 21, 2012 8:31 am

No, it’s not part of the job. Just because we (collectively, as a nation) choose to invade the more “private” moments of the lives of celebrities (i.e., the times when they are not doing their jobs) does not make it right. Would any of us like to have an entourage of cameras following us around night and day, 365 days a year? No. Just because he is good at coaching football and has made it to pretty much the premier coaching position in all of football does not make it right for us to stick a camera in his face when he is trying to relax and enjoy the few moments of rest he likely gets. So, no, it’s not “part of the job” just because the public insists on being a collective douchebag to anyone of celebrity status. I applaud anyone who tells the cameraman where he can stick his camera.

• unsatisfied
        February 21, 2012 12:14 pm

wha’chu said.

• Dan (Not Onorato)
        February 21, 2012 7:50 pm

I disagree Mike. Coach Tomlin is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and will garner attention whereever he goes. Do I agree with the hounding that “celebrities” get in public? Absolutely not. I could care less to be honest with you BUT others will.

2. Julie
    February 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I don’t have a problem with his reaction. It’s not football season and he’s not at a football related function. Leave him alone if he so wishes. So many people accuse Tomlin of not being animated enough on the sidelines, of being too cool of a cucumber (because apparently you can only show your love for the game by spitting all over your players – according to my husband, anyway) and here he shows a little attitude, and people think he’s being a jerk. Ah, fandom in Pittsburgh…

3. JMetheny
    February 20, 2012 12:07 pm

You gotta love coach.No nonsense.No bullshit.Play the game.

4. Julie
    February 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Yeah, I just read that and it didn’t come out like I’d liked…I was extrapolating to the general attitude about Tomlin…in case anyone missed that…lol. ;)

5. Erin
    February 20, 2012 12:45 pm

I appreciate your lip-reading ability; would not have been able to decipher that! I have no problem with this reaction. He was civil about it.

6. Tampa Amy
    February 20, 2012 1:10 pm

As a UK Grad, I watch every game, LOVE that our coach is from the Burgh and brings in “friends” from all over, including many a Steeler! Though I wish they would have not bothered him or at least cut away sooner, all the famous people who come to UK games get covered and they have to expect it. Lebron James, Jay Z, Ashley Judd, Josh Hopkins (Cougar Town) – they all have been there and it’s part of the game. Our head football coach, Joker Phillips, was sitting right beside Tomlin and was laughing when it happened. I think it was just a moment that got overblown – the biggest UK sports blog, http://www.kentuckysportsradio.com posted about it many times, and the head moderator actually came to Tomlin’s defense:

People shouldn’t overreact to the Mike Tomlin thing on press row…yes, he snapped a bit at the cameraman, but haven’t we all been grumpy at some point in our lives? The difference between those in the public eye like Tomlin is their grumpiness is magnified, while the average person’s is often ignored…I sat next to Tomlin the entire game and after a rocky start (he said NO! to me when I asked if he could do an interview for television…I jumped a bit and then he explained that while he didnt mean to sound harsh, he was there to watch the game and not to work, which I can respect), I found him to be extremely nice…he was FIERCELY into the game, clapping and jumping up on all the big moments, even doing the mock “hold my friends back” thing when Darius Miller made his dunk…he signed autographs throughout and seemed to genuinely enjoy his Rupp experience…one bad moment, that he probably wishes he had back, when a camera was in his face isn’t worth making huge personality judgments about him as a human…especially when he was wearing such a sharp hat.

Everyone just needs to chill! :)

7. bluzdude
    February 20, 2012 2:00 pm

People are upset about THAT??

Geez, lighten the eff up. It was like, “Dude, I’m not the story, watch the game.”

I’m sure he then explained about the standard being the standard, even for cameramen.

February 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for reminding me “House” is on tonight.

9. AngryMongo
    February 21, 2012 8:49 am

He smiled at the end…. what do you want?

10. Marc
    February 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Maybe I’m a homer, but I thought that he was calling the cameraman’s attention to the fact that the game was about to be in progress.