Le BOOM!

Reports are that fans began lining up at 4:00 a.m. this morning for the noon unveiling of the Mario Lemieux statue at the Consol today, and I think this was worth the wait. Here are some AP and Reuters photos of the statue unveiling:

That’s Mario’s mother, Mrs. Le Magnifique, I believe she is called.

I will visit the statue on Sunday to pay my respects and maybe lick it if I won’t get arrested for doing so.

However, all of this reminds me, where are we on the Gene Kelly statue?

1. Caroline
    March 7, 2012 8:40 pm

I was just sitting here tonight watching the game and thinking “Wow, there are so many great statues in Pittsburgh….now what about Gene Kelly?!”

2. AngryMongo
    March 7, 2012 10:03 pm

I think the statue is great, but there was a lot of talk that it should have been done in the pose of Mario holding the Stanley Cup above his head after the first championship. Is that a bit egotistical or is it an appropriate depiction of what Mario’s impact on the club and the city was? He helped bring two cups to the city, as a player and one as an owner; rescuing the city from the potential loss of the club.

That being said, I think they could put up the Gene Kelly statue right outside the Student Union on Pitt’s campus. I just don’t know if they can get it done in the cultural district.

March 8, 2012 12:11 am

They’re going to have their hands full keeping the “Kick Me” signs off the butts of the two guys on either side.

• Butcher's Dog
      March 8, 2012 10:46 am

The signs may appear, but since it’s a bronze statue no one is going to take them up on the offer. At least not more than once.

4. Jayne
    March 8, 2012 1:02 am

And in the background, the half way gone Civic Arena.

5. WI Mom
    March 8, 2012 8:23 am

Who are the other two guys in the statue supposed to be?

6. Dan (Not Onorato)
    March 8, 2012 8:48 am

I cant wait to see it. Im sure its going to look amazing when its lit up at night. As for the Civic Arena, I still like the idea of etching it into the glass of Consol.

The Gene Kelly statue should have been a done deal by now.

7. PK
    March 8, 2012 8:50 am

The scene is from the Dec. 20, 1988 game against New York Islanders when Lemieux skated throuhg defensemen Rich Pilon and Jeff Norton, who then collided into each other. I think that was the first time Mario was called Le Magnifique.

As for the Gene Kelly statue, meh. I’m boycotting support of any more oversized bowling trophies (to borrow a phrase from the inimitable Tom Sokolowski) in the city until there is one honoring a woman.

Cuz guess what folks? There ain’t one. At least not of a real woman from history. (The sculptures at PNC Firstside and EQT Tower don’t count.)

• bucdaddy
        March 8, 2012 10:57 am

That seems like an odd choice. He’s mostly between those two guys before he gets the puck, and they sort of get whirled around in his vortex.

I seem to recall seeing Mario skate in and score while more or less carrying a defender piggyback. THAT would have made a statue.

• Washpa
          March 8, 2012 12:00 pm

Must be nice for those two Isles to have their defensive “prowess” immortalized in bronze.

• MN
          March 8, 2012 12:25 pm

I agree about an odd choice for that goal to be chosen. He was pretty much past the defenders by the time the he got the sweet pass by Errey…and the defenders didn’t really collide. Mario said he didn’t even remember that goal!
          A better goal was the one scored against the North Stars in the Stanley Cup 1991 games.

• empirechick
            March 8, 2012 1:37 pm

Phil Borque told the story of this goal on DVE yesterday morning. Barasso made a save, and Borque picked up the rebound. He heard Mario call for it (“Yiip!”), and because his momma didn’t raise no dummy, he passed it to him. Then Borque skated straight to the bench. He was already sitting down by the time Mario scored. So Borque got the assist, but no +1 since he wasn’t on the ice.

• Pensgirl
            March 8, 2012 3:54 pm

The MN goal is widely considered his finest of all time. My favorite, though, is this one where he made Ray Bourque look like an amateur.

• Magus Patris
      March 8, 2012 10:13 am

There is the Rachel Carson Bridge.

• bucdaddy
      March 8, 2012 10:36 am

Sophie.

Make. It. Happen.

8. Julie
    March 8, 2012 12:25 pm

If there is going to be a Sophie statue…there has to be a button where you hear her utter her favorite phrases…lol. I LOVE her voice!! If she is unavailable for the recording, I’m sure Jim Krenn could handle it….he sounds more like Sophie than she does!

9. jmarinara
    March 8, 2012 12:41 pm

UG-LEE. If it was just Mario, it would have been awesome. Instead it’s two guys mooning us and Mario in between. Easily the worst statue since Mr. Rogers.

Yes, let’s immortalize the woman who made Malaria a problem again in a statue. Or you know, the shrill mayor who did less than Lukey and embarrassed the city in Dan Quayle/Joe Biden fashion on a regular basis. Sounds like a smashing idea.

Frankly, I’d rather see Mr. Rogers get a more fitting tribute than the current abomination that mildly bears his resemblance.

10. Sam's Dog
    March 8, 2012 6:51 pm

I don’t recall Mario ever wearing a Centurion’s helmet in a game, although the way he was “protected” by the refs he sure could have used a sword and shield.

11. VAgirl
    March 8, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes where is the Gene Kelly statue let’s start a movement and then on to Sophie. Love the idea Julie!