Oreo killed the flash mob star

Such a beautiful Burgh day and so many things to talk about like the Mario statue, n’at. More on that later.

Yesterday was the flash mob at Market Square rumored to celebrate the 100th birthday of the Oreo cookie, and that’s what it ended up being, so basically it was the worst kept secret ever.

Zachary over at PMI was good enough to put this on YouTube for me, and I gotta say, this might be the video that finally has me convinced flash mobs have jumped the proverbial shark:

I don’t know. Flash mobs aren’t novel anymore and it seems that there’s a flash mob every week now.  New product launch? Flash mob. Proposal? Flash mob. You pooped normal today? FLASH MOB.

With the market so saturated, if you want a flash mob to be impactful (not a word) and viral, it’s  got to be in a league of its own and it’s got to be WELL DONE. Remember how you felt when you first saw that G20 Point Park flash mob? Let me remind you:

YouTube Preview Image

THAT’S how you do a flash mob, Internet.

So, please. For the love of Nutella, the next time you’re in a marketing meeting and someone comes up with the genius idea of a flash mob, shoot a hellstorm of gumbands at that guy, because the year of the boring flash mob is hereby concluded.

1. PA Girl in VA
    March 7, 2012 1:48 pm

I’m sorry to say that my absolutely favorite flash mob was done in Reading Terminal Market by the Philadelphia Opera Company: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmwRitYO3w

2. spoon
    March 7, 2012 2:05 pm

Most things jump the shark once they’re in an AT&T commercial.

I thought the whole point of a Flash mob was supposed to be unannounced, just like Rick Rolling. Nice fail by another big company.

• SteelCityMagnolia
      March 8, 2012 9:24 am

Exactly.

I heard there were plans for a flash mob on the morning news and on at least 2 radio stations. The whole idea of a flash mob is to be a surprise and for the participants to be as anonymous as possible beforehand (and afterwards). They were all hanging out in their all-black outfits so it was pretty easy to figure out who was in it and who wasn’t.

And if you weren’t sure – the ones who weren’t were all holding cameras at the ready.

3. sleepgh
    March 7, 2012 2:52 pm

The funniest part is the Eat-n-Park Smiley cookie hanging out all jealous of the Oreo’s attention!

• Sheila
      March 8, 2012 9:40 am

I thought the same thing! The smiley cookie always has to find a way to get in on the action.

4. Scott
    March 7, 2012 3:38 pm

I love that AT&T ad precisely because it perfectly captures why flash mobs are incredibly embarrassing….for everyone involved.

5. hello haha narf
    March 7, 2012 5:29 pm

awwwwwww crap, one has to poop normal for a flash mob? NO MOB FOR ME!

March 8, 2012 4:54 pm

flash mobs. planking. all the same crap to me.