To Catch a Texter

WTAE’s report on the new texting while driving ban that went into effect today is chuckle-worthy.

First, they’ve blocked this guy’s face out in the still image that goes with the online story:

Because “EEK! He’s texting! SHAME. What will his neighbors and his boss think?!”

However, if you watch the video, you will see he is texting while stopped at a red light, which is still legal:

The law states that offenders can only be pulled over while driving. The car must be in motion to break the law.

Not only that, if you watch the video, you can see his face:

Caught ya!

Doing something completely legal.

1. AngryMongo
    March 8, 2012 2:42 pm

Does this mean State Police can’t either, because I still see them texting while driving, on occasion.

2. Michelle B
    March 8, 2012 2:42 pm

Wonder how many people did a double-take thinking that that was their Dad.

• AngryMongo
      March 8, 2012 6:00 pm

How many here think their Dad even knows how to text? I can’t get mine to set up his voice mail on his mobile phone.

• Michelle B
        March 9, 2012 8:37 am

You’d be surprised. The other day, my Dad (who I spend hours each month trouble shooting tech issues for, and I’m not a tech person, just younger) texted me, and used the phrase LOL. For a brief moment, I thought the end was near.

3. Ry Co 40
    March 8, 2012 2:53 pm

wonder what their feelings on “snapping pictures of other drivers texting” while driving are…

hahahahaaa!

March 8, 2012 4:26 pm

between this and WPXI being duped with “hines ward signs with the ravens”..and, the marty griffin “hoarder” story…….wth is going on with pittsburgh news coverage?

• bucdaddy
      March 9, 2012 11:27 am

Your question supposes there was some golden era when local TV news was any good to start with.

• Butcher's Dog
        March 9, 2012 3:42 pm

I kinda liked Bill Burns back in the day. Patti did OK, too, I thought. Sweet Old Bill Curry was a hoot even when he made sense, which admittedly wasn’t all that often.

5. Butcher's Dog
    March 8, 2012 6:28 pm

Between creating an abomination of the spelling of words in the English language and the dangers inherent in texting while driving, texting may have done more to advance mass stupidity than any other 21st century “improvement” to date.

• Sam's Dog
      March 8, 2012 6:37 pm

Butcher’s, couldn’t agree more. But in their defense, all those texts are really,really, important, an’ at.

• bucdaddy
      March 9, 2012 11:31 am

How about the abomination of spoken English on radio and TV newscasts? Or haven’t you noticed the annoying trend in dropping verbs (usually “is”) out of sentences to save, what, .005 of a second? So they can cram more vital, highly important, ground-shaking news in, no doubt. Such as “Your dental floss COULD KILL YOU!” Because that’s important.

• Butcher's Dog
        March 9, 2012 3:41 pm

I have to admit I haven’t noticed that, bucdaddy. Been watchin’ local TV news down here in Myrtle Beach for the past two and a half months, though, so that may just be the least of their failings. Apparently no one reads the graphics used, either, on the newscasts themselves or in the commercials. At least, no one reads them who can, you know, actually read.

And if my dental floss could kill me, of course I’d want to know.

• bucdaddy
          March 10, 2012 1:37 am

I’ll try to approximate:

“Shots fired at a local bank, a man dead in a holdup. Good evening, I’m …”

6. KGC
    March 8, 2012 8:50 pm

The video, IMHO, is inconclusive as to whether he was texting or dialing becuse the video was too short.

While texting while driving is absolutely ludicrous, elevating to a traffic offense doesn’t make sense. If someone has an accident, then charge them accordingly. Don’t we have enough laws on the books now? Geez, there are many. many other distractions… smoking a cigarette while driving; smoking a cigarette while talking on a cell phone while driving; eating; farthing (and farting); changing the radio station; yakking with passengers; screaming at the rug rats…

I have handsfree, but I still need to pick up the phone to dial. I have fat fingers and, therefore, it takes me a more than just a few seconds to dial a number. Someone may infer that I am texting simply because of the time it takes me to dial.

7. Driven to Distraction
    March 9, 2012 8:25 am

Forget texting – this is the true distraction while driving:

8. Dr Kevlar
    March 9, 2012 8:30 am

A fun game to play while driving is to spot the cop who is NOT on their cell phone while they are driving.

Survey says!: Not many. They are more connected than your average teenager, it seems.

9. Sara
    March 14, 2012 1:01 pm

I haven’t been texting while driving since the ban. But I HAVE been tweeting while driving, Instagramming while driving, and Googling while driving. I’ll be sure to make that distinction to the cops when I get pulled over though.