Aaron Smith says farewell

Here’s why you should read the newspaper every day — former Steeler Aaron Smith took out a 1/4 page ad in this Sunday’s Post-Gazette to tell you thank you!

047

048

049

051

050

052

This is perfection.

1. Rachel
    March 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Aaron Smith is a class act all the way.

2. Susan Helene Gottfried
    March 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I met Aaron and Jaime … years ago. I was sitting at a birthday party with Jaime and asked what she’d do if her husband was… *transferred*, as I put it. She told me even then that Pittsburgh was their home. And then she thanked me for the discretion in my speech, as most of the other moms there only knew her as the mom of a little girl at the party.

I’m quite proud to call them (literal) neighbors.

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 12, 2012 2:28 pm

A friend sent me a picture of this yesterday. I was on the train back from NY. I got all teary reading it and my seatmate asked me if everything was ok.

4. Leigh
    March 12, 2012 2:36 pm

I’m impressed. In a world of professional sports where you hear a lot about about greed, egos, money, etc. it is refreshing to read this. However, I am not surprised since Aaron was never that showboating or controversial player you heard about in the media. When the media talked about him, it was for all the right reasons. Hats off to Aaron for a stellar career and best wishes to him and his family.

March 12, 2012 2:39 pm

“This is perfection.”

Yes, it is. I note he properly uses “Steelers fans” and not “Steeler fans” for his shout-out to Steelers Nation.

• Butcher's Dog
      March 12, 2012 2:46 pm

From this we can imply two things: A Brigham Young education is worth something, and the P-G either didn’t proof it closely enough to “correct” it or the proofreader had a valid education as well. The second half of my latter implication is far-fetched, I know.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
        March 12, 2012 3:03 pm

A good proofreader is very difficult to find. Early in my career, I worked as a legislative proofreader. Extremely arduous and tedious work! I did enjoy it, though. I still get called in from time to time on the big bills and amendments. I blame the reliance of many on spell- and grammar-checking features of most word processing programs for some of the errors that make it into print.

• Dan (Not Onorato)
        March 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Brigham Young? He went to Northern Colorado…Didnt Hoke and Kiesel goto BYU?

Regardless…as everyone has stated…he’s class act and the way it should be done

• bucdaddy
        March 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Heh-heh.

• Bob
        March 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Proofread?? You mean there are people that still do that? It would appear that they do not do at the P-G.

6. MissChris
    March 12, 2012 2:46 pm

A total class act proving once again that being a Steeler is about more than playing football.

7. Jaime
    March 12, 2012 3:25 pm

That’s Church.

8. Christina
    March 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Indeed. That’s Church.

9. gunnlino
    March 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes indeed a class act .
    He will be sorely missed on and off the playing field .

10. cmd_45
    March 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Methinks Aaron should be on the NFL committee that teaches the rookies how to behave. Nothing could have been better that that letter at demonstrating that all the showboating in the world will never play better than plain old class.

11. Deb
    March 13, 2012 6:24 pm

So glad he was a Steeler! What a great example he sets. We’ll miss you Aaron!

12. Jenna
    March 14, 2012 7:31 am

I just got teary reading that. Class act.