A sad commentary on a Mister Rogers-less generation

This is what happens when you don’t air Mister Rogers every day and therefore we are raising a whole generation of kiddos who don’t know that Lady Elaine Fairchilde isn’t a demon clown and that the Purple Panda doesn’t want to eat your soul:

(h/t to Mikey at Kiss FM who tweeted and blogged a link to this video which then got picked up by Deadspin, but then the Observer-Reporter which shot the video, set it to private on YouTube, thinking you can actually kill anything on the Internet LOL. Also, Observer-Reporter, Mister Rogers would have laughed his butt off at this video. Get a sense of humor!)

1. mike
    April 9, 2012 11:40 am

A crippling fear of Purple Panda has nothing to do with lack of familiarity; I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and freeze in terror when I see that creepy creature. Some characters are just scary. Purple Panda sits atop that list.

• Julie
      April 9, 2012 12:05 pm

I would venture that it may be the color, because both Barney and Grimace are frightening as well…moreso Barney because of the *sickening* songs he sings…..

• empirechick
      April 9, 2012 12:56 pm

Agreed – my nieces are afraid of ‘character’ costumes: Iceburgh, Pirate Parrot, even Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc (with whom they are very familiar and LOVE). Same thing for clowns, but they’re OK with any princesses, I think because there’s a real human face involved.

2. Monty
    April 9, 2012 12:09 pm

The problem may have a little less to do with Purple Panda himself, and a little more to do with what Purple Panda was packing.

Someone really ought to put a good tailor on the payroll if that’s going to be at eye-level for the munchkins.

3. Butcher's Dog
    April 9, 2012 12:14 pm

And yet Mr. McFeeley kept his stuff together during the meltdown. Good for him.

4. Scott
    April 9, 2012 12:56 pm

“Mr. McFeeley”…….how that became a character name on a childrens’ show, I’ll never know.

5. Moxie Bestos
    April 9, 2012 1:27 pm

I’m with @mike. Purple Panda scared the heck out of me as a kid and still makes me shudder. That robotic monotone was just wrong and terribly impersonal for such a gentle, personal show. Does anyone have any memory of Paul and Pauline, the boy and girl from Planet Purple who also spoke like that? Or did I just imagine them in a nightmare?

6. DG
    April 9, 2012 1:51 pm

The Purple Panda never scared me at all. Lady Elaine Fairchile, however, was a whole other affair.

April 9, 2012 2:23 pm

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

That warmed my cold, evil heart.

8. Dan (Not Onorato)
    April 10, 2012 7:51 am

Yeah thats probably why the furries still freak me out to this day.

9. sillywalter
    April 10, 2012 12:00 pm

That’s really funny. I wonder how long Purple Panda just stood there?! I imagine my daughter’s daycare playmates had a similar reaction when Santa walked into their classroom. The group picture showed many red, angry, swollen faces.

10. Max
    April 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Way to go observer destroyer. lol.