Everyone hates the Penguins

Let’s recap the Penguins hate that has been unleashed in just one short week, shall we?

• First we had the Flyers coach Peter Laviolette losing his shit during a game and then calling Dan Bylsma “gutless.”
  • Then Flyers assistant coach Craig Berube called Sid and Geno “the two dirtiest players on their hockey team.”
  • NBC hockey commentator Mike Milbury went on Philly radio and ripped on the Pens, calling our captain a goody-two-shoes punk, which, OXYMORON, and our coach a girl.
  • Then late last week, Rangers coach John Tortorella flipped out, referring to the Pens as “one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.”  He also said of Crosby and Geno, “They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens. They’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they, starting with their two (expletive) stars.”

This? IS AWESOME.

Also awesome? That the Pens aren’t taking the bait:

I vaguely have an idea of what he said,” Crosby said Friday, referring specifically to Tortorella’s comments. “I’m sure he’ll apologize today about it and everything will be forgotten.”

This is all very good news. So much hate being spewed at our team from so many different places means we’re getting under their skin at exactly the time we need to become the maddening itch they can’t scratch.

In all of these hilarious spats, it seems only the Penguins are holding to one very important truth:

Goals speak louder than words.

1. Aileen
    April 9, 2012 10:47 am

To the exodus of Flyer and Phillies fans:

1. Thanks for coming;
    2. Mayor Skippy thanks you for spending your $$$
    3. Don’t let the Turnpike gate hit you in the ass when you get on in Monroeville headed East..

April 9, 2012 10:49 am

Some excellent and thoughtful and loving parent is teaching that kid the classics. Bravo! I made absolutely certain bucdaughter was quotingly familiar with the Holy Trinity of comedy (Marx Bros., Three Stooges* and Monty Python) before she was allowed out of the house.

*–This is in no way an endorsement of the Stooges movie that comes out Friday, who knows what a mess that might turn out to be, but … well, damned if the trailers didn’t make me laugh.** If it’s 90 minutes of eye pokes, head slaps and similar mayhem with just the flimsiest of plots, it’ll be great.

**–The trailers do not, however, include even a hint of a pie fight, which heightens my suspicions to Terrorist Threat RED levels that this is gonna suck. There BETTER be a damned pie fight.

• Sam's Dog
      April 9, 2012 11:11 am

Bucdaddy, you are a credit to parenting. I hope one day bucdaughter blesses you with grandkids, it would give us all hope for future generations having you there to instill such great knowledge.

• Butcher's Dog
        April 9, 2012 12:11 pm

Holy Grail Monty Python, bucdaddy? Or Flying Circus Monty Python? Inquiring minds want to know. However, I second Sam’s Dog’s view that you’re a credit to parenting. If bucdaughter listened patiently and channeled the Trinity, so much the better. Gives me hope for future generations, much like the little girl in the photo.

• Cassie
          April 9, 2012 1:30 pm

My Mother raised me on the Holy Grail and I’ll tell you, I see a rabbit, and I cringe.

• bucdaddy
            April 9, 2012 2:34 pm

By a wonderful coincidence the Pythons would appreciate, one of the judgin’ shows (I couldn’t tell you the name, the one with the younger male black judge that comes on noonish and isn’t Joe Brown) had a case today where a woman was suing a petting zoo owner because she got bit on the finger by … a rabbit. A rabbit that charged at her as she was making cute little bunny noises at it.

I said to Mrs. Daddy, “Ah, it’s just a harmless little bunny, isn’t it?”

Then I remembered she needs to see that movie some day. Bucdaughter has a silly streak, Mrs. Daddy … not so much.

• bucdaddy
          April 9, 2012 2:27 pm

Grail. And “Life of Brian,” but she’s also been exposed to some of the better “Circus” routines.

3. Christina
    April 9, 2012 10:59 am

Yes, common hate us. I love that, because that means they are jelous and afraid of us like they should be.

Now lets beat the crap out of the flying shit and send them home down the turnpike.

LET’S GO PENS!

4. Pensgirl
    April 9, 2012 11:52 am

Meh. It’s no coincidence that the teams that fixate on us are the Flyers, Rangers, Capitals, and maybe Bruins; those are the organizations that whine the most in general (see, e.g., Tortorella accusing the league and NBC of conspiring to give the Flyers a power play at the end of the Winter Classic). They are the sports version of the people who believe the moon landing never happened.

5. G-Man
    April 9, 2012 1:56 pm

Speaking of Penguins Hate: my local paper (Richmond Times Dispatch) has a Sports Quote of the Day each morning and today it is a picture of Flyer Scott Hartnell who says “There’s a lot of hatred by the city [Pittsburgh] against us. We thrive off that… It’s going to be a bloodbath.”
    All I can say is this: If the Flyers thrive on other fans hatred of them, why haven’t they won a Stanley Cup in more than 40 years? I don’t think there’s a sports franchise anywhere (well, except New England Patriots and NY Yankees) that is more universally hated than the Flyers.

• bucdaddy
      April 9, 2012 2:36 pm

Agree.

–bucdaddy

Hating the Flyers since 1967

• G-Man
        April 9, 2012 8:04 pm

I need to correct my mention of 40 years. It’s closer to 35 years since Flyers last won the Stanley Cup. But it will be 40 VERY SOON.

6. bluzdude
    April 9, 2012 4:37 pm

Someone needs to get started on a sign for Wednesday, that reads, “Death awaits you all, with big, nasty, pointy teeth!” [including hand gesture].

7. Brett
    April 9, 2012 7:46 pm

If it wasn’t so sad, I’d find this ‘b*tching and moaning’ about the Pens amusing.

I look at it this way, to the non-Pens fans out there, all they see are these coaches and so-called impartial analysts running off at the mouth about the Pens organisation and players so think wow they must be a bad team.

Yet being hockey fans they’ve probably watched HBO’s 24/7 show from last year and this year and realised that the Pens organisation is down to earth where as the two teams from this year seem to want to whinge about something. Not to mention the great “In The Room” series the Pens also post up.

I’m new to the NHL this year and picked the Pens based on how they portray themselves as a team both on and off the ice. I just haven’t seen the team in the light that they have been painted recently. I didn’t know one player from the next, I ashamedly, say that I’d never heard of the likes of Crosby, Malkin. Fleury, or even some fella called Mario before this season, yet out of all thirty teams in the NHL the Pens as a close knit team of ‘players’ appealed to me more than any other.

8. Butcher's Dog
    April 10, 2012 7:53 am

This is why this blog is so great: a post on Pens haters turns into a Monty Python thread. Stream of consciousness, anyone?

April 11, 2012 11:57 am

Look, “everyone” does NOT hate the Pens. Judging from the NHL’s TV ratings, hundreds of millions of Americans couldn’t possibly care less one way or the other, and of course most Pittsburghers don’t hate the Pens. That’s just something you tell yourselves because … well, I don’t really know. But I do get tired of athletes pulling that “we don’t get no respect” card, and it’s barely excusable among your favorite team’s fan base either.

This kind of thing irritates me irrationally. I get equally irritated by the breathless “EVERYbody’s watching Show X,” “EVERYbody’s reading Novel Y” hype. No, everyone isn’t. Even the top-rated TV shows are being watched by only 20 million people or so, or maybe even 15 million (“American Idol”?), but that leaves 280 million people who AREn’t watching and don’t care. And that number is exponentially larger than for most best-selling books.

Yeah, yeah, Ginny, I know this was all meant lightheartedly, but like I said, “Irrational.”