I care too much.

If you saw any of my tweets on Saturday night, you realize how absolutely positively overboardly batshit I am about Pirates ball this season. It appears this affliction of mine is getting worse with each losing season.

Here are just a few of my tweets from the SECOND game of the season:

And I mean that. There is no way I can handle the Buccos ever playing October ball, so it’s probably better if they just keep losing until I’m ready to depart the Earth.

I can’t explain to you how sick I was to my stomach those last few innings. I don’t know if it’s because we were playing Philly, which, PATOOIE, or if I was just terrified the Buccos would start their season with six losses. All I know is that when pinch-running Fort McKenry, my fake baseball boyfriend, touched home plate and then Alex Presley beat the tag at first, I was jumping around my living room like it was my own personal World Series celebration. My couch was jumped on, Tom Cruise.

Fast-forward to yesterday afternoon as I stood in my kitchen baking my first ever carrot cake from scratch, and I was shouting enough that my kids stayed out of the room. When Pedro went long, I ran Mazeroski laps around the kitchen table. A bit later in the game, my entire family, including my husband’s sister and her husband and four children from Mexico City sat glued to the television in my parents’ living room, Easter dinner ready and piping hot on the buffet table, we watched the last several innings with the palpable energy of a game 7 Stanley Cup. Cheering every base hit. Groaning at every man left on base. Evil-eyeing every spot of red in the crowd.

When Andrew drove in the winning run down two strikes and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, the room exploded. I was leaping about six-inches in the air, if I know my vertical. There was screaming and high-fiving and hugging and maybe some chest bumping and praising Jesus by my father, and the Mexicans were probably all, “I guess they just won the World Series. Good for them!”

It’s a total overreaction and I can only hope it subsides a bit as this interminably long season stretches out in front of us. Otherwise, I’ll have a major heart event by July when I inevitably lose my shit on Nate McLouth.

Also, I’m sure you’re wondering how my carrot cake turned out. It tasted just fine. However:

I don’t know what happened, but it looked like someone opened my oven and punched my cake. So I’m going with that. Someone opened my oven and punched my cake.

1. empirechick
    April 9, 2012 10:44 am

Judging by the players’ reactions, the Mexicans aren’t the only ones who think we won the World Series…

2. Cole
    April 9, 2012 10:49 am

I would like to get this printed on a shirt.
    “I have so much adrenaline I could kill a dinosaur with my bare hands”

3. RichD
    April 9, 2012 10:51 am

It must have been a long ride back to Philly for those fans. Spanked in hockey, spanked and respanked in baseball! Still, it probably did them good to visit civilization for a change.

This is the year, 85-77!

• G-Man
      April 9, 2012 2:05 pm

Indeed, seeing those obnoxious Philly fans in our arena and ballpark and knowing they spent tons of cash to attend and went home with nothing is just about the best feeling on the planet. One of my friends posted Sunday on Facebook that “This proves Jesus loves Pittsburgh more than Philadelphia.” I call it an Easter Miracle.

4. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    April 9, 2012 12:05 pm

As far as I’m concerned, you can never care too much. I was at all three games and was seriously contemplating calling in sick — with Bucco fever — and hopping a flight to the west coast. Every time the Phillies fans tried to start their stupid cheer, the Pirates fans did whatever they could to cheer over them. After Saturday’s and Sunday’s wins, it was awesome to see the Bucco fans stay in the stands to cheer the team and hear the post-game interviews (someone please tell Root Sports to get rid of Lacee, she is awful).

I’ll be back on the 20th for the next homestand! Let’s go Bucs!

5. Butcher's Dog
    April 9, 2012 12:07 pm

In a nutshell, this is why we love Ginny so much. There’s just no “average” there.

6. Leslie in Dayton
    April 9, 2012 12:20 pm

Could it be your leaps of joy made your cake fall? Also, I LOVE Juanita!

7. Cindy T.
    April 9, 2012 1:12 pm

As kids me and my brothers were always told not to run and jump around if Mom was baking (usually angel food cake). I thought it was just a way to keep us guys quiet. Go Buccos. Flat cakes forever if you keep winning!

8. G-Man
    April 9, 2012 2:08 pm

It kind of makes me sad that Bucco fans have been so accustomed to losing over the last 19 years that two wins – in games 2 & 3 of a 162 game season – makes me so euphoric. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the hell out of those two walk-off wins. It’s especially sweet that so many Phillies fans drove all the way here and spent $$$ and had two wins snatched right out from under them. I feel like Pittsburgh just won a Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and World Series all in one weekend.

9. bluzdude
    April 9, 2012 3:01 pm

Man, I wanna watch the game at your house. Hi-fiving… carrot cake… bewbs…

10. ClumberKim
    April 9, 2012 3:28 pm

Wait just one minute. Fort McKenry is MY fake baseball boyfriend. I met him on Saturday, wearing my 55 shirt (bought last season, when none were available. ahem.). He is more than deserving of our worship. You’ll want to see this pic of him and his adorable dimples. http://instagr.am/p/JIdOl4gdRZ/

11. SportsDistraction
    April 9, 2012 7:44 pm

Read this article recently, thought of it again after reading this post of reactions about games 2 & 3 of a 162 game season…

• bucdaddy
      April 10, 2012 10:46 am

That’s damn good advice, right there. Pittsburgh fans might remember that the next time Mario threatens to take the Pens to Kansas City or the Rooneys threaten (however mildly) to move the Steelers to Morgantown.

… What? Well, it’s not MY fault yinz have short memories.

12. red pen mama
    April 11, 2012 8:50 am

I’ll be honest, I’m a one-sport-at-a-time kinda girl, and playoff hockey has my full attention right now. However, Ginny, you make me want to care about baseball. We’ll see where we are in June. Maybe I’ll check out that bandwagon thingie.

Switch to our mobile site