Random n’at

1. I have an epic story to share with you about my mother. I am just bracing you now that you’re not going to believe the story and you’re going to think I’m making it up, but I swear to you on a stack of Bibles as tall as your mom, it is 100% true.

Soon.

2. I accidentally stumbled on this picture of the, I don’t know, badge? patch? of the Wings Over Pittsburgh Steel City Airmen division? unit? squadron?

Man, I have a lot to learn about the military. Either way, how cool is this Steelers hypocycloid logo-adjacent design?

Love that.

2. Also in love with this panorama HDR view of the point from Mount Washington by local photographer Brad Truxell.

3. Burgher Jesse Langis-Eigsti of Jesse Reviews the World has another amazing review up. This one reviewing the May edition of Cosmo.

Jesse uses humor while making some pretty brilliant commentary on what Cosmo’s real message is.

A snippet:

The downside to Cosmo’s occasional moments of actual seriousness is that they make the rest of the articles seem all the more regressive and pessimistic by comparison. Despite the carefree tone in the writing, Cosmo holds a pretty cynical worldview. If you only had Cosmo as your guide to learn about humans, you’d assume that all women all shallow, fragile, insecure drips** who fret constantly about securing a man (A sample article tagline: “It’s not like women sit around all day, thinking about getting hitched. Only on Sundays. Kidding!”). And men, or “guys”, as they always seemed to be called in Cosmo, are arrogant, sex-crazy, meatheads who need an ungodly amount of guidance and patience in order to do such tasks as carry on a conversation. Yes, this is the material of a thousand stand-up comedy acts, but it’s depressing to see a magazine continually feed its readers these low expectations.

You have got to read the whole post. So much hilariousness and perfection in tone.

Ginny’s grade of Jesse’s review: A+

4. Terry Bradshaw’s 24-year-od daughter Rachel Bradshaw is going to be releasing a country album soon. This is she:

If I was blogging back in 1974, I’d have coined Terry the Duke of Fug, so my question is, how does so much fug spawn so much hawt?

5. I meant to write about this last week. As a business owner in Market Square, this story scared the beetlejuice out of me and made me so thankful for our law enforcement:

The plan was to “go down to Market Square on St. Patrick’s Day with the intention of killing at least 15 women,” Lt. Jeffrey Korczyk said. “It seems he had issues with women and God.”Police say Notman intended to use an assault rifle and a .357 handgun, two firearms that he legally owns.

“He also noted it would be easier and have a much higher body count because the people would be drunk and wouldn’t be very coordinated,” Korczyk said.

People just suck.

6.  Headline:

Me: Wouldn’t the dog therefore be dangerous simply by virtue of the fact that he fatally mauled a baby?

But what do I know? I’m no expert; I just know the definition of dangerous.

7. This is kinda badass and if I was braver, I’d totally do it.

Seven Springs’ Mud on the Mountain 7-mile 20-obstacle race set for May 12!

The Cheese Grater obstacle sounds like it will chew you up and spit you out in tiny pieces.

8. So cool! A look at all the planned skyscrapers for Pittsburgh, where they’ll be, what they’ll look like and when they’re coming. A little glimpse into our future in the next five years.

(h/t Kevin)

9. Kate and Peter’s mother Amy has a new post up at Callapitter, her first in many many months, and in it, she lets us know how she’s doing, what her emotional state is as the third anniversary of the deaths of her children recently passed over Easter weekend, and then she shares a picture at the end that just took my freaking breath away.

Wow.

10. This North Shore Connector parody promotional video from Benstonium is so well done. My favorite parts? “Suck it, Egyptians,” and “Port Authority: Sit your ass down, Pittsburgh.”

11. This Pittsburgh Dad made me LOL.

YouTube Preview Image

Man, I remember browsing the VHS tapes at Giant Eagle when we were younger on those special evenings when dad would … are you ready?

RENT A VCR!

I can’t believe I just typed those words. It’s right up there with “churn butter” or “read the papyrus.”

The newest episode is up today and it’s Pittsburgh Dad watching the Penguins.

YouTube Preview Image

“Ain’t nothing good ever came out of Philadelphia … [points toward kids sternly] … except the Constitution.”

[falls down laughing]

1. Butcher's Dog
    April 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Pittsburgh Dad is almost as awesome as Ginny. Just sayin’.

2. Kevin
    April 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Living out of the area, I love this stuff.

• Brett
      April 10, 2012 6:28 pm

I can’t agree more about living out of the area, well country in my case. I thoroughly enjoy Ginny’s style of writing and when she also includes some great content that gives me further glimpse into PGH and the surrounds, I love it more.

3. Leenyburgh
    April 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for sharing the Callpitter blog — I didn’t know she had one, and I’ve been wondering about how she’s doing.

4. Guido
    April 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Ginny – the “patch” is specialized for that particular air show. As I’m sure you know the 911th Airlift Wing plays host to that show every year. Unfortunately, with the 911th scheduled to close, I don’t know if there will ever be another “Wings Over Pittsburgh.” The planes on the patch resemble C-130s that are flown by the 758 Airlift Squadron. KC-135s (air refuelers) also come from the 911th and fly with the 171st AW (I got to ride in one while stationed at Cannon AFB, NM).

There’s good history at Pittsburgh IAP, you ought to check into it.

• Dr Kevlar
      April 11, 2012 7:05 am

The 171st is part of the Air National Guard and is not part of the 911th, which is Air Force Reserve. While they are often thought of as one outfit, they are two different organizations and two separate bases that share the common runway complex at Greater Pitt.

For a number of years the 171st ANG was a fighter, not a refueling wing. The 758th, as part of the 911th, has always been airlift, first as a Group and then becoming a Wing in the early 1980’s, I believe. They have operated C-119 Boxcars, C-124 Globemasters, C-123K Providers and most recently the C-130 Hercules.

Be a shame to see both the ANG and the AFRES bases close down completely there.

5. ketchup is a veggie
    April 10, 2012 7:45 pm

The Cosmo of my youth, run by Helen Gurley Brown, was devoted to woman, who in her words, “loved men,babies, and puppies and treated all with respect above all herself” The trash they publish today isn’t focused on making yourself or the world a better place, it’s focused on turning young woman into kim kardashinan who HGB I don’t think would have a very high opinion of.

• bucdaddy
      April 11, 2012 1:26 am

I think the best description of a typical Cosmo article I’ve seen is:

Men are scum, and how to dress for them,

You women are suckers. Cosmo will run the same article a dozen times a year and just give you a different number (“87 Sex Tips,” “78 Sex Tips”) to fool you into reading it.

• Dr Kevlar
        April 11, 2012 7:10 am

I am always fascinated with the “426 and 1/2 Secret Ways to Drive Your Man Wild In Bed!!!” articles, which appear monthly. While one can never discount humankind’s ability to be creative, I wonder if there aren’t some repeat items in there….Of course, maybe there are some new techniques such as releasing a passel of live ferrets in the bed at a crucial moment or installing a motorized trapeze…

• Joe K.
        April 11, 2012 12:35 pm

The Two Ways to Impress Men:

1. Show up naked.
        2. Bring food.

• bucdaddy
          April 11, 2012 1:16 pm

See, Cosmo knows: Every month, another million American girls hit puberty and go from texting to sexting, from The Disney Channel to “The Client List,” and from dressing like Miley Cyrus to undressing like … well, like Miley Cyrus.

And Cosmo is there.

Cha-ching!

6. Null Register
    April 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Umm, Ginny – where is Las Velas in the Gardens rendering!?!? It looks like someone shaved the second floor off the building. Please say the omission is a mistake!

7. Julie
    April 11, 2012 8:40 am

Gin,

I’ve been following the story of the dog that killed the baby. Apparently, according to investigators and dog behavior specialists, the dog was “playing” with the baby when it fatally injured him. The crux of the case is that the dog (Who the owners only had for a couple of weeks) thought the baby was something to play with, not attack, according to those defending.

I’m not trying to trivialize the death of a newborn, its absolutely horrible, but I don’t think this dog deserves to die because his owners were complete boneheads. Who in their right mind puts a two day old baby ON THE FLOOR in the house and leaves the room when you have FOUR dogs, one of whom you’ve only owned for a couple of weeks. That is NOT a sufficient time period to learn the personality of a dog to trust it in every situation. If anyone needs to be euthanized in this case its the idiots who owned the dog!

• Butcher's Dog
      April 11, 2012 8:47 am

As a retired teacher, euthanizing parents (at least selectively) is a concept I could support.

• Michelle B
      April 11, 2012 9:53 am

Agreed, Julie. We had our dog for 3 years before having our daughter, and despite the fact that I trusted her completely to not harm our daughter, I knew that she is an animal and never left my daughter on the floor unattended. Even now, our dog needs to be reminded to be gentle around our daughter, not because she is aggressive, but is very playful. Of course, my heart goes out to any family that has lost a child, but I also don’t believe a dog that confused a newborn with a toy needs to be euthanized.

8. Scott
    April 11, 2012 10:36 am

“Wings Over Pittsburgh” is the massive air show held every year at the airport.

• bucdaddy
      April 11, 2012 11:46 am

“Wings Over Hartford” is a terrific place to get cheap grub.

• Sam's Dog
        April 11, 2012 6:52 pm

“Wings over America” was a live album from Paul McCartney and Wings after the Beatles went their separate ways. Where are we going with this?

9. Kacie
    April 11, 2012 10:50 am

You know the recent commercial with Terry Bradshaw saying how he was tired of looking “old” and “fat” and “ugly”? Makes me LOL so hard! He’s such a character.

We tried going to Wings Over Pittsburgh one year. Showed up a little later than we planned. HUGE backup on the Parkway. Thought there was a wreck. Officers directed us back onto the highway. Turns out, there was no more space! Didn’t get to see the show. Crap.

April 11, 2012 11:49 am

4. She’s pretty, but I don’t know about “hawt.” Are women good evaluators of hawtness in other women, or should that be left to connoss … conosew … connase … men?

Speaking of which, somebody owes me a photo of her hawt self in a T-shirt.

11. Joe K.
    April 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Love that panorama shot. I can never get that feature to work right on my camera, you can almost always tell where it’s stitched at, amateur that I am.

12. Al Luccioni
    April 11, 2012 1:05 pm

it is not a question of “deserves” or morals or right or wrong. That dog is no more inherently “evil” than a faulty power tool or a defective pinto that causes an accident. This anthropomorphism of animals is really getting out of hand. just put the dumb dog down and problem solved, it, it is not a matter of debate of who deserves what.

• bucdaddy
      April 12, 2012 11:33 am

Al Luccioni … Al Luccioni … sounds familiar … hmmm …

“Harry, where’s Cheswick?”

Do I have that right?

13. Lucy
    April 12, 2012 1:29 pm

I’m signed up for Mud on the Mountain! Sounds like it’s going to be treacherous, but you get a coupon for a freed drink at the Foggy Goggle when it’s over. So really, where’s the downside?!

I will make a point of reporting back about the Cheese Grater when it’s over. That one scared me… a lot! I have enough trouble making my butt look good! Adding massive brush burn seems like a questionable strategy on my part!