Random n’at

1.Well Snowmaggedon 2012 has turned in LOLmaggedon and all the local weather people who told us to expect anywhere from 6 to 8 inches of snow are looking like the boy who cried wolf. But NO ONE cried wolf longer and louder than Fake Julie Bologna on Twitter:

My God, if SyFy doesn’t make a movie called River Tsunami soon, they have epically failed.

2. A local 16-year-old girl from Beaver is up for Black Enterprise Magazine‘s 2012 Teenpreneur Award for her business, Amber’s Amazing Animal Balloons, and check out her creations on her website and in this video:

YouTube Preview Image

Did you see the parrot and the penguins?! Wow. Do you know what I can make with a balloon? A loud popping sound. It’s quite impressive. It’s less of a KA-POW and more of a ZA-BAM!

Vote for Amber here!

(h/t John)

3. If you haven’t seen this yet, a first-grader from Pittsburgh won a national penmanship award and the amazing thing is she was born with no hands.

My heart almost can’t stand it.

(h/t my Dad)

4. It is imperative that I get this on a shirt or in a cross-stitch pattern.  Or tattooed on my body.

(h/t Nancy)

5. If you’re looking for something to do this Saturday, the cool all-girl comedy variety act troupe Frankly Scarlett will be performing at the Cabaret!

The crazy part, without meaning to, half of their troupe has appeared in my Burghy Weddings series over at the mag! Robin Hitchcock is the bride that stopped at Fathead’s with her groom. And in this picture of Robin’s wedding, you can see other troupe members Abby Fudor and Liz Labacz. Then you’ve got Addi Twigg here.

They describe the show to me as this:

Lots of clever writing mixed with entirely goofy ideas. We have bits mocking the all-male subcommittee hearing on reproductive rights (all-female subcommittee hearing on male pattern baldness) …and we also do 90s rap and dance moves as Salt-N-Suga, a touring edutainment group. In addition to sketch and improv, we have local musician (and funny lady) Addi Twigg on stage the whole time as our ‘band’. She does hilarious and beautiful covers of songs, and sings between sketches to help give a cabaret feeling to the night.  And finally we do video (writing, editing, etc.) Sisters doin’ it for themselves!!

GIRL POWER!

More info here! Or on Facebook here.

6. My Dad sent me this and maybe some of you would enjoy it too. A look at Monroeville in the early 60s to 70s:

YouTube Preview Image

Thrift Drugs and Victoria Station. Man, that is a blast from the past and I feel old and I’ve fallen but I’ll just stay down here and take a nap.

I wonder if my sisters remember going to Victoria Station to eat.

7. Light of Life Rescue mission asked me to take part in this little project for the upcoming Tunch and Wolf’s Walk for the Homeless. YOU try saying no to that. Luckily I’m only in it for a second or two.

It’s a great cause and I’m looking forward to visiting the place soon.

7. Sixteen things Calvin and Hobbes said better than anyone else.

Also, if I may add, “Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy discordant images at such a rate as to render linear thought impossible.”

I just typed that from memory, but I bet I’m not more than three words off.

Me is to Calvin and Hobbes as David Conrad is to Shakespeare. That’ll be on the SATs I bet.

(h/t Jonathan)

8. You. With the face. Tell me where I can buy these online:

Because I will rock that thing to the fullest.

(h/t Mikey)

1. Noelle
    April 23, 2012 6:56 pm

If you like the Monroeville video, you’ll like this! http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html

2. ketchup is a veggie
    April 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I said to my better half on Friday nite, “I could go for some Pup-A-Go-Go” My boys had no idea.

• LaReina
      April 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Dahn the sahth hills, dahn Upper St. Clair, it was the “Moo Shop” or the “Hot Shoppes.”

3. Woy
    April 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I saw Frankly Scarlett a couple weeks ago thanks to a kind invitation from @andreadisaster and @carmanavenue. A great performance!

Check out this video of the Monongahela Mermaid from that show – awesome!

4. SusanV
    April 23, 2012 9:21 pm

My husband and I were both giggling about Fake Julie’s tweet yesterday! Whoever writes @FakeJulieBologna is so clever! (I like to think it’s really REAL Julie Bologna just faking us out…)

5. Larry
    April 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow… Kuehn’s dairy! My grandfather used to swear by their milk, so on a regular basis, we’d pack up the (returnable) bottles and troupe over from West Mifflin to Kuehn’s! (I don’t remember ice cream, but I have vague memories of their buttermilk!)

Also, when they showed the fountain at Horne’s in the mall, my first thought was “the ice rink! show the ice rink!”. Ahh, that place where I fell a million times and still couldn’t stand up on skates, lesson after lesson… (when I learned how to play hockey, years later, I wished I could’ve gone back to the old MM rink and skated a few times around it…!)

6. Liz
    April 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for the write up! We’re all That’s Church fans, so it means a lot!

April 23, 2012 11:17 pm

2. Balloon animals are a lost art. Bravo, Amber!

6. Gotta love those ’60s cars. Bigger than aircraft carriers, every one of them. Pittsburgh steel and Detroit muscle, both gone forever.

I split a job between Monroeville and Greensburg for awhile and lived in Swissvale for a year in the early ’80s. Much of that stuff was still around then (certainly the mall; I worked out of the ExpoMart, which I guess came along later).

Memory lane, right there.

• MattDC
      April 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Kind of like watching Mad Men and forgetting some of those things existed. Electrical poles and wires, everywhere. Even the “small” cars were so freakin big they had to invent suburban sprawl just to park ‘em. We stuffed a whole refrigerator in the trunk of the family 62 Mercury. And just looking at some of those interior shots has me hacking from the sheer memory of second hand smoke. The musical accompaniment is perfect.

8. Clare
    April 24, 2012 12:45 am

Amber is a lovely young lady. She was hired by my friends mother to come to a birthday party last summer, not only did the kids love her… but she loved them and was wonderful with them! A true good business woman! Very impressed. Thanks for sharing :)

9. YinzerInExile
    April 24, 2012 7:46 am

Ok, I have been googling every permutation of “green parrot pirate winter hat Pittsburgh” since the game and I CANNOT FIND THEM. But I need one. Oh, sweet baby Jesus, I NEED ONE.

Anyone? Please? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

10. TripleC
    April 24, 2012 8:19 am

And Monroeville still looks exactly the same today.

• mmd
      April 24, 2012 10:33 am

I wouldn’t say Monroeville looks exactly the same today. A lot of different buildings and a lot of remodeled buildings.

• bucdaddy
        April 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Is the Penn Monroe still there?

Used to eat/drink there some.

Also, a history question: When was the bypass built?

• mmd
          April 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes the Penn Monroe is still there.

The Bypass opened in 1962 according to Wikipedia.

11. Shawna
    April 24, 2012 8:39 am

We bought that Parrot head hat for my daughter at the game on Sunday. She’s 2 1/2 and rocked it way better than Greg Brown & Steve Blass.

12. empirechick
    April 24, 2012 10:34 am

Best C&H strip was with Calivn hammering nails into the coffee table. His dad screams ‘What are you doing?!?!’ Calvin: [blink] Is that a trick question?

Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

13. hello haha narf
    April 24, 2012 10:47 am

MUST HAVE THAT HAT!! as soon as i saw mikey post that picture i fell in love with it. promise me you’ll clue me in when you find them.

14. Erin
    April 24, 2012 11:05 am

Gimbel’s! Would love to see more videos like that, of other parts of town.

15. hello haha narf
    April 24, 2012 11:23 am

a friend works for the pirates. she called the team store and apparently they are $24 and sold out over the weekend… they are in the process of re-ordering.
    i’m officially stalking these hats and will keep you posted.

16. Aileen
    April 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Here’s what I found on Merriam-Webster’s on-line dictionary after typing in “inclimate”:

inclimate
    The word you’ve entered isn’t in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

1.intimate
    2.inclined
    3.inoculant
    4.machinate
    5.incommode
    6.militant
    7.Midianite
    8.inelegant
    9.incondite
    10.enigmatic
    11.intonate
    12.intimidate
    13.machinelike
    14.uncommitted

Well, there you have it.

By the way, I love Craig Wolfley, but is he going with a Keisel-like tribute? I would not have known that was him without the caption.

17. Addi
    April 24, 2012 12:49 pm

We’d be remiss not to remind you that Abby Fudor was featured along with her beau last fall for their amazing karate kid costumes, too! Members of Frankly Scarlett have been on That’s Church so much that we probably should’ve called “BINGO” by now.