Random n’at

1. There will be a new history post next week. Over the course of the last week, I have probably put six hours of research time into it and all it has done is give me about 30 other things I want to research about Pittsburgh’s history, particularly the 1885 to 1930 period.

I seriously might need an intervention soon, you guys. Or a time machine.

2. Corporate speak!

Are we stuck in a Dilbert strip? Is that an actual organization? What does it even do?

The preeminent worldwide organization for mergers and acquisitions and corporate professionals.

This reminds me, how is the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Organization for the Actualization of Increased Revenues doing these days?

3. Go check out this picture of a telephone pole in Connellsville, Fayette County.

I refuse to believe that’s real. I have made mud pies that were more structurally sound. And there’s no warning. No caution tape around it. No orange cone. No sign that says “HERE BE CERTAIN CRUSHING DEATH.”

God bless Fayette County.

4. Pittsburgh has an all-girls FIRST robotics team named Girls of Steel made up of female high school students who dress like Rosie the Riveter and take part in robotics competitions and I AM SUPER IMPRESSED! You must go read all about them, check out their awesome build pictures, and be inspired.

As a zombie once said, “Brains are hot.”

(h/t Kelly)

5. A Fayette County prisoner hid a cellphone and a charger in his prosthetic leg.

This is called taking the lemons life throws at you and making lemonade. Just like I can take the lemon life threw at me (being super deaf) and make lemonade (turning my hearing aids off when my kids start whining).

6. Pedro Alvarez looked in the mirror and said, “OMG. You suck. Stop it.”

Or the ghost of Robert Clemente visited him in the night and said, “OMG. You suck. Stop it. Also, give to the poor.” Because Pedro has managed to bring his hilariously atrocious, grotesquely vomitous .067 batting average up to a merely anemic, slightly putrid .156.

TRIPLE DIGITS, BABY!

But seriously, he seems to have turned the bend and God I hope it’s Roberto showing him the way.

7. Two friend things for you, meaning they are about my friends who I actually used to just know virtually but now I know them well enough to call them a bitch to their faces:

• Burgh Baby’s Getting Started with Your DSLR photography classes are still going on thanks in part to demand by Burghers interested in learning what all the buttons and doohickeys and numbers mean on their DSLRs.  As you know, I took a class and I can’t even tell you how valuable it was to me. My pictures have life now. Although I still need help getting my white balance right. That’s a killer.
  • Mindy Bakes is my new favorite recipe blog joining Burgher Michelle’s Brown Eyed Baker blog. I made this meatloaf for my family and I can’t even tell you. Best meatloaf ever. MEATLOAF! IT HAS BEER IN THE SAUCE! BEER! And she is so right about not mashing your meatloaf to death. I was totally making that mistake.

8. Dear Lukey, “doohickeys” is actually a word. I dare you to use it in a press release. Speaking of which, three times was the charm because his staff managed to finally put the correct word in the press release. Someone needs to make a shirt all “inclimate inclemate inclement!”

9. CHILLS. From Benstonium:

YouTube Preview Image

10.  A little girl in Children’s Hospital, Lanie, who is fighting leukemia, and hopefully will get some smiles out of all that gaming Make Room for Kids delivered, has a wish … to meet iCarly. You can help by liking or sharing her Facebook page!

You can see that yesterday her parents almost lost her, but she fights on. Would that I could punch cancer in the throat for her.

(h/t Gina)

11. If you’re going to Saturday’s Pittsburgh Power game, be sure to let the Power know that you want your ticket proceeds donated to Team Tassy, which is the nonprofit charity chosen to benefit from this game. Tassy will even be there to do the coin toss!

I wish I could figure out how to buy tickets online, because their webpage is a giant bag of fail on that.

12. I always thought Andrew McCutchen’s hair was in braids. I never realized they were dreads. How unobservant of me. Either way, watch this. It’s kinda swoony and a bit [smolder].

YouTube Preview Image

(h/t MostlyMartha on Twitter)

13. This video is raw footage of Rick Earle touring the Florida house where alleged [snort] murderer Ken Konias was captured. Start at 1:17 in and pay attention to the girl in the background. She is a superstar! Then jump to 2:28. LOL.

3:07, she blatantly eye-bangs the camera.

Get this girl a reality show.

(h/t @thisisunique)

1. tehamy
    April 27, 2012 1:30 pm

I made Mindy’s meatloaf over the weekend. I can say that hands down, it is the best meatloaf that I’ve ever had. That sauce is to die for. I really did want to just eat it with a spoon.

2. PA Girl in VA
    April 27, 2012 3:04 pm

That interview is SO funny – no matter what the reporter asks, her response is, “I don’t know.” What a waste of time.

3. rickh
    April 27, 2012 3:15 pm

13. Get her some Hittsburgh gear pronto!

4. Chris
    April 27, 2012 3:18 pm

My niece Mackenzie is part of Girls of Steel! They are in St. Louis as I type this :-)

• Suzie-Q
      April 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Congratulations to Mackenzie and all the Girls of Steel….that is AWESOME !!!

5. Magus Patris
    April 27, 2012 3:37 pm

OK, on the ‘Cutch video at 1:42, did anyone else think badass Princess Leia hair, or just me?

6. Erin
    April 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Omg that was the most painful interview ever.
    “What was his plan?”
    “He was going to Jamaica.”
    “So where was he going?”
    “Jamaica.”
    For some reason I found that background girl to be charming, not annoying. I hope she isn’t a prostitute but I have a bad feeling, given what I’ve read of this house and what she said about Summer.

7. biggeorge
    April 27, 2012 5:45 pm

you need to get a gray card of a lens wipe that is 18% gray. Hold it up in front of your camera to get your exposure set to the middle, then you can adjust as needed. Just remember that for every “click” you raise on, the f-stop or speed, the other one goes down.

it is confusing but once you get that, you just check and adjust.

Biggeorge

8. Janelle
    April 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I’m going to my parents’ house this weekend, and I’m really tempted to drive into Connellsville just to see that telephone pole in person.

9. AngryMongo
    April 27, 2012 9:30 pm

2. Suck it Portland!

3. facepalm. We all passed the pic around Facebook yesterday. I’d say the wires are doing most of the work. That’s right in downtown West Side, about five minutes from my parents’.

April 28, 2012 10:57 am

10. I’d let you punch me in the cancer, but I only have one left.

(PSA: Check your sack, Jack)

13. No. No, she doesn’t. Absolutely not. The airwaves are polluted with far too many famewhores and talentless shmucks as it is.

And what the hell do we need to see the Konias house for anyway? They sent Rick Earle to FLORIDA for a house tour? To show us what? Konias is George Washington or something? “He slept here. He f***ed Miss Eyebang over there …” Couldn’t they have just called a Florida affiliate and asked it to run somebody over there? Damn, the economy must be doing better than everybody thinks, if the station has that kind of cash to throw around.

Unless Rick went to Florida on vacation and wanted to write it off as a business trip or something … that I could understand.

11. LisaB
    April 28, 2012 8:23 pm

I never realized what a beautiful smile Cutch has, or just how smokin’ hot he really is.

Rawr.

12. Suzie-Q
    April 29, 2012 2:20 pm

The video from Florida….ohhh my….the young girl is applying makeup as the older (and bewildered) woman speaks!!!!

13. Sue
    April 30, 2012 1:27 pm

10. Lanie is from my hometown and, sadly, she lost her battle with cancer on Saturday. She sure had a lot of people praying for her and trying to help her meet iCarly but it just wasn’t in the cards for her. Sweet, sweet little girl. Thank you for helping to try to get her wish to her.

Switch to our mobile site