Oh, poop.

Before this made its way to Gawker, Mikey and Big Bob tweeted it. A look at the cover of the Lifestyle section of the Tribune Review today.

Do they mean “shit yourself laughing?” Because I’m getting pretty close. It’s not even an optical illusion where if you look at it one way it’s a vase and another way, it’s two faces in profile. No. That very clearly says “Shit yourself.”

Oh, Trib. Hugs. Tomorrow’s a new day, with no mistakes in it, Anne Shirley.

(h/t Paul)

1. Holly
    May 4, 2012 12:14 pm

My paper has that insert but it doesn’t look like that. The water is not reflective and it clearly says “suit yourself” I am kinda disappointed lol.

2. Tony
    May 4, 2012 1:10 pm

Well, chances are that anyone who still reads the Trib is wearing Depends, so no harm, no foul.

3. Joel
    May 4, 2012 1:50 pm

they took it down online – they removed the wording…guess they caught on

4. bigslacker
    May 4, 2012 2:08 pm

What words?

5. Rachel
    May 4, 2012 2:29 pm

How did no one catch that?

• Tom
      May 6, 2012 7:54 am

Because we knew what the headline said. People DO proof these pages. But then, I’m sure you have NEVER missed anything before. EVER. Since you obviously have all the answers to life.

• unsatisfied
        May 7, 2012 12:02 pm

so, tom…which sections do you edit for the trib? lifestyle, perhaps?

May 4, 2012 2:45 pm

Way many years ago I worked at the Trib. My old friend Jim was the sports slot guy there, and also the outdoors writer. One time he wrote a story about building birdhouses for birds who don’t fly south for winter, and when he laid out the day’s section with that story in it, he teased to it from the front page with his headline:

Happiness is a warm box

I spotted it and told him, “Jim, while I agree with the sentiment, you might want to word that a little differently.”

He looked again and said, “Oh shit.” Then he laughed. “I always say the best copy editors have dirty minds.”

• Butcher's Dog
      May 4, 2012 9:24 pm

Shit! And I wasted all that time teaching English instead of being a copy editor!

• Tom
      May 6, 2012 7:56 am

See. Someone who understands how things can happen. That page was proofed, as I’m sure you know. But sometimes, things just get by. Errors everyday in every paper. Suit happens.

• MattDC
        May 6, 2012 2:01 pm

Easy, big guy. I think most of us are just fine with this little slip. Some errors are more entertaining than the intended words, and in this case, a more accurate description of how the model probably got to be so ridiculously skinny.

On the other hand, Bucdaddy’s definition of “happiness” seems like just a factual observation to me. No need to change that one.

• Erin
          May 7, 2012 10:29 am

Yes Tom, no need to be so defensive. And hey – comfort yourself by reading the PG, where you’ll no doubt see at least 5 typos a day. Spellcheck-able typos!

7. bluzdude
    May 4, 2012 5:09 pm

I bet there were ‘runs’ on that edition.

May 7, 2012 12:07 pm

not suggesting that you need an editor from the trib, monty. but, dan patrick has always had me thinking that it was, dare I say, “en fuego”….not “el fuego”.

“el fuego”, is “the fire”, methinks.

9. Pingback: Random n’at | That's Church

Switch to our mobile site