The Duke of B.Ed.

I honestly had no idea that Ben Roethlisberger left college to go pro. I assumed he finished college but that isn’t so because he just graduated this weekend after spending time over the last few years completing the coursework necessary to receive his Bachelor’s in Education, nine years after he left Miami University.

These are photos provided to the media from Miami University:

You know that Ben is one of my least favorite Steelers ever, but even I am forced to admit that this is pretty freaking admirable.

Don’t you try to make me love you, you magnificent jerk.

1. Noelle
    May 7, 2012 1:05 pm

Shaquille O’Neal received his PhD this past weekend in Organizational Learning and Leadership.

• G-Man
      May 7, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for mentioning this, Noelle. I honestly thought you were joking and I Googled it and found you are 100% right. Congrats to Shaq. Whatever misdeeds Big Ben may have done, he and Shaq have sent a very strong message to young people about the value of education even whe one is a superstar millionaire many times over.

• Noelle
        May 7, 2012 3:39 pm

He has chosen to go back for a law degree next because he loves to challenge himself intellectually. I hope he makes a lifetime of donations to all his alma maters.

• Lisa
      May 8, 2012 5:17 pm

He received the PhD but sadly I have to question if he actually “earned” it. I have a friend in the same PhD program who said that Shaq NEVER showed up for class. So I wonder, did he actually earn it or just receive it??

May 7, 2012 1:24 pm

Props. He could have coasted the rest of his life and many more lifetimes on his $100 million.

Still wouldn’t want him in the same bar with my daughter tho.

• jann
      May 7, 2012 1:33 pm

Or teaching my daughter’s class.

• G-Man
      May 7, 2012 3:28 pm

I agree, bucdaddy. I don’t want him near women anywhere anytime. But that said, redemption has to start someplace. Not always but sometimes people do change for the good. I hope this is an example of that.

• ketchup is a veggie
        May 8, 2012 7:51 am

Why do your daughters go to bars when they are underage? Do they get so drunk they have no memory of the evenings’ events? If that is how your daughter behaves, perhaps you should have a talk with them about personal safety and responsibility. I don’t recall there being any accusations against Ben in a classroom.

• bucdaddy
          May 8, 2012 9:40 am

Bucdaughter is 26.

But I get your point, and I think you’re right. But be prepared to be accused of blaming the law-breaking, blackout drunk-off-her-ass victim.

3. JenEngland
    May 7, 2012 1:45 pm

I’m with you Ginny. Not a fan of Rothlisberger. Big fan of this though. And the photo op video of him talking to the Girls Softball players was the most human I’ve ever seen him.

4. Butcher's Dog
    May 7, 2012 3:04 pm

I’m guessin’ he won’t be filling out too many teacher job applications, but having a degree could help him land a job coaching at a college, say, if he wanted to do that when he got tired of being hit.

It can’t be too easy to do the coursework in the off-seasons, since there aren’t too many off seasons. Anyone who finishes who doesn’t need to in order to feed a family deserves some props, as bucdaddy says.

And I don’t have a daughter, so my views may be slanted.

5. Cassie
    May 7, 2012 3:23 pm

This is setting a good example. I’m impressed.

6. philmatt24
    May 7, 2012 3:39 pm

The Duke of Bed? Sounds shady.

7. Calamity Jane
    May 7, 2012 4:42 pm

He’s still a dirtbag.

• Trish
      May 9, 2012 6:55 am

This. He only cleaned his act up–at least in public view–when his job was threatened. It’s not reform if you’re forced into it.

8. Lisa
    May 7, 2012 5:10 pm

I am curious how he met the student teaching requirement…….but maybe he didn’t need it to get the degree…wonder if you need it to get a teaching certificate.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
      May 7, 2012 6:20 pm

Most states only require the student teaching where the person is seeking certification, and even them, those requirements vary from state to state. He technically got either a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree and majoredin Education, which at many schools covers can be different things.

9. bluzdude
    May 7, 2012 7:35 pm

I think everybody deserves a chance to make themselves better, in the eyes of their friends and family, and in this case, the public eye. At some point, you have to let the past be the past.

I’d say he’s still on probation, but doing the right things.

10. Vivian
    May 8, 2012 7:36 am

Congrats to Ben.

11. Jaime
    May 8, 2012 10:44 am

Maybe he finally decided it was time to grow up and fulfill all of those glorious media soundbites of contrition. Good for him. Maybe now the name on the back of the jersey will start to live up to the logo on the helmet. (That metaphor works much better when there’s a logo on the front of the jersey.)

12. Mimi
    May 8, 2012 12:59 pm

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but I think Ashley is adorable. I mean this as a compliment–she looks refreshingly NORMAL