ZOLTAN!

I am shamed to admit that I have not seen Dude, Where’s My Car?

You would think that like all educated Americans who have taken the time to see the great American classics, I would have seen this masterpiece by now. But I haven’t. I also haven’t seen Glitter. I cannot hang my head any lower.

When Rod Barajas hit a walk-off home run (!!!!!) last night in the bottom of the ninth with the Pirates down two runs with two outs, to send the Pirates over the Nationals, I didn’t get why the Buccos crowded around home plate to welcome him home while making some weird sign with their hands:

But now I know thanks to the Post-Gazette, the origin of sign:

As Barajas rounded third, he found the rest of the team standing with interlocked fingers forming the letter ‘Z,’ a trend that Neil Walker helped start in Atlanta. The sign references Zoltan, a character from the movie “Dude, Where’s My Car?” and a sign now given after a hit.

“We just started doing it, we’ve been raking ever since,” said starter A.J. Burnett, who got Barajas with a shaving-cream pie in the face after his winning homer. “That was my favorite part of the night, seeing 20 guys behind home plate doing that. It shows you what a group we have.”

Here’s the clip!

YouTube Preview Image

I’m not gonna lie. I lost my shit a little when he popped a bubble on the one dude’s space suit.

Anyway, if you haven’t seen the home run and the ensuing celebration, watch it here.¬†Watch it all and never let it be said that the Pirates don’t care about winning. These guys care about winning.

When are the Buccos going to break out Blue Steel, is my question. Because seeing 20 guys crowded around home plate to welcome their teammate home while making this face:

… would pretty much make my life.

1. Christina
    May 9, 2012 10:48 am

Ahhhh – the world makes so much more sense now. That was definitely too much American pop culture for me to understand without this posting.

BTW … I could get used to see the Pirates win like that. Uppsss … is that a bandwagon I am standing on? Yeah – looks like it ;)

2. bluzdude
    May 9, 2012 10:57 am

Go figure… Zoltan is the new We Are Family…

3. Butcher's Dog
    May 9, 2012 11:07 am

Not to be picky, but the Bucs were down one run when the walk-off happened. Hammer gave up a two-run dinger to put them behind by a run in the top of the inning, then Rod hit a two-run shot to win it.

That’s all. Resume your normal lives now.

4. empirechick
    May 9, 2012 11:31 am

Greg Brown’s call of it is awesome! For all the soul crushing losses that guys has to describe every night, I’m glad he gets to have a little fun every once in a while.

His call is in the second half of the clip:

5. Craig
    May 9, 2012 11:49 am

Wow, the “We Are Family” reference just gave me goosebumps.

6. rickh
    May 9, 2012 12:02 pm

If they start winning now, you know we’ll see bubblewrap space suits in the crowd. Kewl!

7. AngryMongo
    May 9, 2012 12:10 pm

Everybody got all cheery when Cutch hit his homer.

It’s a great thing… but it’s his first of the season.
    And it’s May.

• PittinDC
      May 9, 2012 1:08 pm

Maybe that will be the start of something good though! It’s the little things :)

8. PittinDC
    May 9, 2012 1:06 pm

Now I want to go re-watch Dude Where’s My Car? again. Such a good movie. Oh Ashton Kutcher, you had so much promise.