What They’re Really Thinking: Mini-camp Edition

While we’ve all been wrapped up in the glory of the Pittsburgh Pirates — That’s right. The GLORY of the Pittsburgh Pirates, although if you believe any of these analysts, this is an early-season fluke that will wind up with us anywhere from fourth place to the seventh circle of baseball hell where demon-scavengers feed on our carcass. I choose to believe that all those so-called baseball experts can bite me and the ghost of Roberto Clemente. (Also, Tabata’s throw to second in the 9th to nail the Indian trying for a double? I wonder if that’s how Roberto threw.)

While we’ve been wrapped up in baseball, the Steelers, minus Mike Wallace who is holding out, have been holding mini-camp where some things are the same and some things are not.

Casey Hampton continues to host zip codes in his belly button while hunting down his ever-missing fluffernutters.

Meanwhile, there’s a new punter wearing Daniel’s number 9 and he has wisely chosen to shield us from his non-Sepulvedian face lest the ladies of Steeler Nation lose their collective shit.

That bubble better never pop, sir.

Ben, forever missing his TLA B.A., is having trouble understanding his new coach Todd Haley who might as well be Charlie Brown’s mom:

Even worse? Haley introduced Benny to his new offensive line which now includes a little person, a dog, and a Mexican Lucha Libre.

Neither Charlie nor Ben seem too happy with Haley’s methods right now:

I can’t wait for the first time Haley and Ben go at it on the sidelines.

[gasp!]

CAN I BE SLAP BET COMMISSIONER?!

P.S. I intentionally left this picture out because DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF, JAMES HARRISON?!?

1. WI Mom
    June 18, 2012 11:45 am

Thank you Ginny- I miss your blogs and truly hope that you will continue your unique view of the weekly Steeler adventures. And I am PRAYING that the Bucs do not do their usual post All-Star game swoon this year. I will be satisfied with an 83-81 season.

2. Butcher's Dog
    June 18, 2012 11:49 am

Others can confirm, but no, that’s not how Roberto threw. While the throw in the 9th yesterday was on the money, it came in high and never bounced. Most of what left Roberto’s hand were frozen ropes about waist high that one-hopped into the glove of the waiting fielder, usually right on the bag. Meaning Roberto threw better than that.

Maybe bucdaddy and others have differing memories, but that’s what sticks in what’s left of my mind sittin’ here at age 64.

• Bob
      June 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey I can remember Roberto throwing a frozen rope on the fly to the first baseman to pick off a batter who singled to right but rounded first base too far.

3. JenEngland
    June 18, 2012 12:00 pm

What the eff is up with the hats? and the masks? AND THE TOY DOG???? And really, that picture of Harrison, priceless.

4. rose
    June 18, 2012 12:05 pm

james harrison: air sword swallower.

5. MizzPenz
    June 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I don’t think she was thinking “air sword” in that picture… but I guess you could call it that if you want :)

6. Magus Patris
    June 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Last Thursday night, I took my 9 year old to Northland Library to see a guy named Greg Kenney, who performs 30 minutes as Jackie Robinson and 30 minutes as Roberto Clemente. He was awesome. It was as much about overcoming adversity, standing up to bullies and believing in yourself as it was about baseball. The spirit of Roberto is still influencing kids 30 years later.

PS, Mr. Kenney also performs as Bill Cosby, Louis Armstrong, MLK Jr. among others.

7. John
    June 18, 2012 1:56 pm

are my eyes deceiving me bigtime, or has BIGBen lost some weight? one can only hope…

8. MissChris
    June 18, 2012 2:05 pm

No Daniel Sepulveda….
    No James Farrier…
    sigh…

9. Al Luccioni
    June 18, 2012 2:18 pm

while it was a nice throw on the money it was a pretty easy out for any major league calibre outfiielder given that Cabrera was jogging down to first thinking he hit it out of the park and did not turn on the speed until he got past 1st base trying for a double when he saw it bounced off the wall, you need ot do a lot more than that to be be compared with #21

10. Dash66
    June 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for the Mini-Camp WTRT. When you announced that you were going to be cutting back on your writing, I was thinking it was going to be the end of them, and they are what got me started reading your site in the first place.
    I laughed out loud at the “little person, dog and Lucha Libra” offensive line! :-)

11. SteelCityMagnolia
    June 19, 2012 9:14 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ginny!!! I have SO missed the “What They’re Really Thinking” posts! You just made my day!!!!

12. Hawki72
    June 19, 2012 12:54 pm

“Clemente could field the ball in New York and throw out a guy in Pennsylvania.” – Vin Scully

See throws at 6:07 and 6:37 — or just watch the whole thing (4 parts)

Simply the Best!

13. afan
    June 20, 2012 12:16 am

I am surprised you haven’t had anything bitchy to say about Big Ben jr on the way! I would have thought you would first in like to make a snooty comment about the little bundle of joy.

• Trish
      June 21, 2012 8:38 pm

“Make sure you’re pregnant before a year’s out.” Way to go holding up your end of the Rooneys’ contract, Ashley.

Switch to our mobile site