Ride the Laser Loop!

Thanks to a comment by A.J. on Sean Collier’s wonderful Bizarro Kennywood guest post, I learned something so amazing.

When Kennywood got rid of the Laser Loop back in 1990, it sold it to an amusement park in Mexico City, where the ride still exists!

Now many of us never got to ride the Laser Loop because we were too short back then or too scaredy pants back then (me), but now via the magic of the Internet, if you can’t get to Mexico City, you can virtually ride the Laser Loop, which is now called Cascabel!

YouTube Preview Image

I’m not going to lie. I cupped my hands around the sides of my eyes and put my nose to my laptop screen to try to give myself the IMAX experience.

It kinda worked because now I’m craving Potato Patch fries.

It makes me happy to know it’s still out there giving joy like this:

YouTube Preview Image

My next mission: hunt down the Noah’s Ark whale’s tongue and install it in my house’s entryway.

1. Sean Collier
    July 25, 2012 10:57 am

New million-dollar idea: VIRTUAL Bizarro Kennywood. Do this for every bygone ride. Sell “I Threw Up on the Rotor” t-shirts. PROFIT.

2. MeganE
    July 25, 2012 10:59 am

YES. I can’t be the only one who wants an “I Made Out in the Old Mill” T-shirt.

3. Amy
    July 25, 2012 11:08 am

I was just trying to describe what the Laser Loop was to my kids! I will have to show them this video!

4. Gina
    July 25, 2012 11:11 am

I want the silver rockets – they were WAY back when.

5. Alison
    July 25, 2012 11:17 am

Man, even just watching this on a youtube video made my stomach all twisty and turny. I can’t do the going backwards thing. Barf.

6. dahcheet
    July 25, 2012 11:24 am

Wait. Wait. WAIT!

Was there no seat belt or lap bar in the second video with the kid and his dad?! How much more fun/exciting would that ride be without that safety feature??

7. Kim
    July 25, 2012 11:25 am

Okay, the thought of that Noah’s ark squooshey tongue make ME want to barf… not enough hand sanitizer on the planet to kill all of the microbes living in that thing!

8. L A Caldwell
    July 25, 2012 11:40 am

My first roller coaster ever, except for the Rollo Coaster at Idlewild.
    It’s weird that I could be tall enough for the Laser Loop but not tall enough for the Thunderbolt.
    Anyone remember the story about the Laser Loop going non-stop for 2 hours and all the people on it got sick? True or Pittsburgh Urban Legend?

9. Annie B
    July 25, 2012 11:41 am

Ours was called the Tidal Wave. So much fun.

10. AngryMongo
    July 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I’m taking, ‘I stood up on the RACERS and lived’ as a shirt. Cuz… um… I make shirts.

11. Erin
    July 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I love that dad!

12. L
    July 25, 2012 1:20 pm

L A Caldwell:

Legend. If the braking mechanism on the Loop failed, the car wouldn’t have enough momentum to keep going through the loop indefinitely. Instead, it would get stranded, on one side of the loop or the other (I recall it getting stranded, but don’t remember how many times — if memory serves, it got stranded on the ‘back’ (i.e., station) side.)

And, the hydraulics couldn’t go on indefinitely — in fact, if they ran the ride too quickly, one run after another, the ride would shut down.

13. hello haha narf
    July 25, 2012 1:33 pm

i love that dad and want to ride a roller coaster with him. and i love you for wanting to get that stupid whale’s tongue back.

14. Amy
    July 25, 2012 1:47 pm

I’m sure you’ve seen the series “Kennywood Memories”, but it’s in 7 parts online. This one begins with Noah’s Ark and then into Le Cachot!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fKe6NxPEgY&feature=relmfu

15. Scott
    July 25, 2012 1:54 pm

This is awesome – I had no idea that it was still in existence. I actually rode the Laser Loop at Kennywood shortly after it opened in 1980. My date, who was far more of a roller coaster enthusiast than I, coerced me into riding it multiple times, including once in the front seat.

16. Dan
    July 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Even better, Real Bizarro Kennywood, with all the old rides next door.

17. Sue M
    July 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Yes! It was called Tidal Wave at Great America in Chicago. Front car was the best seat.

18. Emily
    July 25, 2012 7:08 pm

I may be late to the party, but isn’t the Noah’s Ark tongue reinstalled somewhere in the “ride”? I could swear stepping on it somewhere else. It’s been a few years since I was last there!

19. Becky
    July 25, 2012 9:10 pm

So awesome. I love that dude!

20. Robin
    July 26, 2012 9:31 am

Who didn’t make out in the Old Mill? Watch out for the rattlesnakes!