1. You’ll want to scroll down to read Jonathan Wander’s guest post about Steve Jobs’ generosity to Jamie and Ali McMutrie after the Haiti earthquake in 2010.
It’s a great story.
Now, let’s get some stuff talked about!
3. A Burgher is up for The Goulet Award for the Mustached American of the Year award.
I thought it was mustachioed?
I like mustachioed better.
Mustachioed is a great word.
Why isn’t there a band called Mustachioed?
BAM. There’s your band name.
4. I’m still not 100% sure this isn’t an Onion News article:
Several decades after hurricanes first got formal names, some blizzards in the USA this winter will get their own names, too.
The Weather Channel will assign the monikers, “the first time a national organization in North America will proactively name winter storms,” the network reports.
Most of the names on the list have a Greek/Roman theme — the first three are Athena, Brutus and Caesar.
Well that’s just boring! They need to learn from SyFy and give things ridiculous names.
5. The History Center is kicking off their new sports exhibit Gridiron Glory this weekend complete with Steelers and Power players and something called the Steelerettes.
What are the Steelerettes? Please don’t say cheerleaders! We don’t need no stinkin’ cheerleaders!
6. So, the Buccos. [vomits violently]
I wrote about ’em. [headdesk]
And I wrote about the bandwagon. [flicks lighter]
And I wrote about the Zoltan.
The Zoltan started as a questionable and quite dorky-looking gesture as the Bucs mysteriously started flashing the Z on extra base-hits, leaving Pittsburgh to try to figure out what they were doing. But winning makes even the dorkiest things cool and you better believe that if the sign of Zoltan was a self-butt-slap paired with a crotch thrust, when the Bucs were 16 games over .500 ball, all of Pittsburgh would have been thrusting their crotches at each other in celebration. The Zoltan now? Let it rest in peace. It’s a painful reminder of what could have been, and of that lame Dude, Where’s My Car?movie. Let that RIP too, Ashton Kutcher.
It is a beautiful street.
10. My brother-in-law married to Princess Aurora of Cincinnati nee Wexfordhampsminstershire is a doctor who is raising funds to go to Belize on a medical mission for their church.
If that’s something close to your heart, you can donate here to help.
11. Christianpalooza 3 is taking place soon in honor of Christian Connelly, a young Burgher who died from cancer a few years ago. His mother is raising funds for Make-A-Wish to grant other sick children’s wishes.