Random n’at

1. You’ll want to scroll down to read Jonathan Wander’s guest post about Steve Jobs’ generosity to Jamie and Ali McMutrie after the Haiti earthquake in 2010.

It’s a great story.

Now, let’s get some stuff talked about!

2. LOVE this shirt!

(h/t Cassie)

3. A Burgher is up for The Goulet Award for the Mustached American of the Year award.

I thought it was mustachioed?

I like mustachioed better.

Mustachioed is a great word.

Why isn’t there a band called Mustachioed?

Mustachioed Marsupials.

BAM. There’s your band name.

4. I’m still not 100% sure this isn’t an Onion News article:

Several decades after hurricanes first got formal names, some blizzards in the USA this winter will get their own names, too.

The Weather Channel will assign the monikers, “the first time a national organization in North America will proactively name winter storms,” the network reports.

Most of the names on the list have a Greek/Roman theme — the first three are Athena, Brutus and Caesar.

Well that’s just boring! They need to learn from SyFy and give things ridiculous names.

Blizzardopolis

Snowepicopolous

Megasnowathor

Doomigeddon.

ENDOFDAYS.

5. The History Center is kicking off their new sports exhibit Gridiron Glory this weekend complete with Steelers and Power players and something called the Steelerettes.

What are the Steelerettes?  Please don’t say cheerleaders! We don’t need no stinkin’ cheerleaders!

6. So, the Buccos. [vomits violently]

I wrote about ’em. [headdesk]

And I wrote about the bandwagon. [flicks lighter]

And I wrote about the Zoltan.

A snippet:

The Zoltan started as a questionable and quite dorky-looking gesture as the Bucs mysteriously started flashing the Z on extra base-hits, leaving Pittsburgh to try to figure out what they were doing. But winning makes even the dorkiest things cool and you better believe that if the sign of Zoltan was a self-butt-slap paired with a crotch thrust, when the Bucs were 16 games over .500 ball, all of Pittsburgh would have been thrusting their crotches at each other in celebration. The Zoltan now? Let it rest in peace. It’s a painful reminder of what could have been, and of that lame Dude, Where’s My Car?movie. Let that RIP too, Ashton Kutcher.

Have a read.

7. LOL.

8. Grant Street was named one of the Ten Great Streets for 2012 by the American Planning Association.

It is a beautiful street.

9. “Perks of Being a Wallflower Director Shares Love for Pittsburgh.”

10. My brother-in-law married to Princess Aurora of Cincinnati nee Wexfordhampsminstershire is a doctor who is raising funds to go to Belize on a medical mission for their church.

If that’s something close to your heart, you can donate here to help.

11. Christianpalooza 3 is taking place soon in honor of Christian Connelly, a young Burgher who died from cancer a few years ago. His mother is raising funds for Make-A-Wish to grant other sick children’s wishes.

Info here on the fun family-friendly event that features music, games, auctions and more is here!

Donate here!

Christian Connelly

1. Burghbird
    October 5, 2012 11:05 am

The Steelerettes WERE a thing. For a very short time in the 60’s. They’re a close-knit group still and do charity events and parades.

2. Observacious
    October 5, 2012 11:08 am

Anyone who was wondering what to get me for Christmas need look no farther than that Braddock t-shirt. (Ladies size medium, please!) If some Eat n Park Smiley Cookies made it into the box I wouldn’t complain.

Love,
    A steel mill and Smiley Cookie loving ex-pat

• bucdaddy
      October 8, 2012 1:03 pm

I once bought a shirt for someone here and all I asked in return was that a photo of said person in said shirt be posted here.

Never happened.

Fool me once …

October 5, 2012 11:14 am

if I’m not mistaken, the steelerettes were the 1st set of cheerleaders in the NFL. yikes.

as for naming the snowstorms…..how come they always name hurricanes (and, now, snowstorms) after white people? I’m still waiting for “hurricane laquisha” or, now, “snowstorm d’brickashaw”.

4. Guido
    October 5, 2012 12:24 pm

The “20” shirt kicks ass – must have!!

5. AngryMongo
    October 5, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks, Ginny. ;) I love the Braddock one, too. Reminds me the night I stalked Fetterman in Irwin Target. I was like, “That’s *#$^ing John Fetterman! IN MY TARGET!” Then, I nonchalantly kept my distance as to not end up with a beat down.

6. bluzdude
    October 5, 2012 2:02 pm

Mustachio sounds like a hybrid ice cream… part mustard, part pistachio.

• Observacious
      October 5, 2012 3:48 pm

My dad once told me that if you mix yellow mustard with vanilla ice cream it tastes like raspberry. I have to assume that mixing mustard with pistachio would taste like raspberry-pistachio or that my dad was just trying to get me to eat something gross.

7. Rob Pfaffmann
    October 5, 2012 9:10 pm

From your friend David Conrad (used with his permission):

On the corner of 23rd street and Overton in Portland Oregon, arguably the country’s “hottest” city, there’s a handsome plaque. It was put there by the city government. It commemorates the process by which a group of neighbors fought the city itself and a development company to save 7 historic homes in 1989. The developers said their project wouldn’t be financially feasible if the homes remained standing. The city didn’t want to be “liable” for them.
    They’re still there.
    The neighborhood is now one of the wealthiest parts of Portland.
    The city of Portland lost this fight. Its elected officials then put this plaque in place honoring the battle which they claimed “helped define who we are as Portlanders”.
    Wouldn’t happen in Pittsburgh.
    How far away are we from this sense of civic responsibility, from this political maturity, from common sense.
    Our mayor Luke Ravenstahl and our City Solicitor Daniel Regan just decided to let the Catholic Diocese tear down St Nicholas Church on the North Side. Without consulting City Council they gave it away. Without a process due the people of Pittsburgh, they wrote it off.
    So when St. Nicks, the first Croatian catholic church in the United States, is a pile of rubble and the site is cleared to make way for absolutely nothing you’ll probably read on page 4 who got the pay-off ; the highway commission, LAMAR advertising, the Diocese itself, the Mayor, Regan. It’s anyone’s easy guess.
    We’re a joke. Every Pittsburgher should be ashamed. For St Nicks, for the 3rd rate sewage control coming to the Strip, for the parking lot once known as the Hill, for the day when the first fracking pad gets dropped within city limits. We let our politicians hand over huge chunks of our city, pieces of our heritage, to developers who don’t even have investors, whose half baked site plans are nothing more than excuses gussied up to wave over the letter of the law, we give the best parts of ourselves to these visionless bean counters and we call it growth.
    Well done my old hometown. Ah, Pittsburgh that fine exemplar of working class values. Garbage. Those jobs are gone and so are the people who had the backbone. We’re not tough we’re numb. We’re not blue collar we’re on a leash. We’re gonna get what we deserve.

David Conrad
    Braddock

• bucdaddy
      October 8, 2012 1:16 pm

“We’re going to tear down this teetering old building before it falls on somebody and we get sued for a bajillion dollars.”

“You can’t do that.”

“Why not?”

“It’s historic.”

“It’s old and ready to fall down.”

“It’s historic.”

“Well, why don’t you buy it and fix it up and maintain it?”

“Oh, we can’t do that. We don’t have the money, and besides, it’s not our job.”

“Well then, we’re going to tear it down before it falls on somebody and we get sued for a bajillion dollars.”

“You can’t do that.”

• Butcher's Dog
        October 8, 2012 3:06 pm

Isn’t this what’s commonly referred to as Catch-22? And raise your hand, please, if you’ve actually read the novel by the same name. Just curious.

PS…put your hand down before typing any responses.

• Christina
        October 8, 2012 6:16 pm

There was attempt to buy it from the Diocese for the reuse as a museum for immigration, but the Diocese turned it down .

• bucdaddy
          October 9, 2012 11:51 am

So I understand.

I was just riffing on the general way these types of debates always seem to go (see: Mellon Arena).

8. Bram R
    October 5, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh man, David had me with him there, until he got snarky and fatalist at the end.

9. Christina
    October 6, 2012 3:11 pm

@ Pfaffman & Conrad comment:

What ever you think about St. Nicks in particular – the problem goes much deeper just like David says. It’s about a general mindset towards historical structures.

One of the reasons St. Nicks is so run down now and high costs attached to keep it up and renovate is, that all tries to buy and reuse it were blocked by the city and the diocese for YEARS. And there were good plans and not all of them would have cost many tax $.
    This is in particular a big bummer for me – a lover of Croatia and Croatian culture – because the Crotian history of Pittsburgh is widely underrepresented although Pittsburgh was once the biggest Croatian city outside Croatia and ten thousands of Croatian workers in the mills made this city Steel City. This is part of Pittsburgh’s history and identity and the perfect place to pay tribute to this group is just getting lost. Just in case you do not know: a museum for immigration – especially from East and South Eastern Europe – was one of the concepts for reusing the building.

The next building at stake is the Produce Terminal at The Strip District. Again there are magnificent plans for developing the riverfront in a way that connects with The Strip and its special atmosphere, culture and history INCLUDING the terminal – with and without extensions of the 17th street.
    But was does the mayor favor? The horrible Buncher plans which include tearing down big parts of the terminal – a building that gives the produce district and Smallman Street its face and character. The Buncher plans have several other weaknesses and they will cut deep into what most of you love about the Strip. Don’t let it happen.
    I am an out of towner – mostly even out of country person living in Europe and just a guest in Pittsburgh. So I cannot do much since I cannot vote or demonstrate. What I am doing in case of the Strip is investing my upcoming stay together with my friend and photographer in an art project portraying the Strip like it is now capturing a moment in time before that is of value for us.

Do not get me wrong: I am not a “no change” person. A city needs to move forward and embrace change, but it needs to be done in a smart way connecting past, present and future. This is what gives a city an identity and makes it special and loveable – just like l want my Pittsburgh.

To tie both ends together you can click on the link below. This is the Dicoletian’s Palace in Split, Croatia. It is 1700 years old. It is still the vibrant center of the old town of Split. It is not just a museum. There are shops, small hotels, people live there, concerts make it swing in summer nights. It IS Split. So be careful with blowing up the old rubble – it can be your future:

Okay … I am off buying this cool Braddock shirt now ;)

10. Jennifer
    October 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Ginny..thank you for getting the word out about Christianpalooza!!!