Random n’at

1. October is kicking my ass, you guys. In so many ways.

Today, I actually said to my husband, “I can’t wait for winter so I can get snowed in for a week and get caught up on shit.”

It’s okay. I bitchslapped myself so you don’t have to.

So this post is me, getting caught up on LOTS of shit.

2. I’m in the early stages of researching my 2012 Yinzer Gift Guide for Pittsburgh Magazine and I’m hoping to have the list of suggested Burghy Christmas gifts go live right around Black Friday, so if you know of something uniquely Burghy or you are a crafter or businessperson that sells something either made in Pittsburgh or Pittsburgh-themed, please email me and let me know so I can check them out.

I’ll narrow it all down to about 12 items.

You can email me via the “Contact” link on the top of this site.

3. New Fresh Factory shirts!

4. I am not making this up. From the Eat ‘n Park Smiley Cookie website:

Best hostess gift ever?

You can also buy a mini version for the much more affordable price of $26.

5. New Benstonium Steelers video: Skyfall

YouTube Preview Image

6. Headline: “Missouri City poisoning pigeons to reduce numbers.”

Me: “MERRY CHRISTMAS!”

(h/t Kelly)

7. New post up at the magazine where I talk about the putrid pumpkinification of every single thing, preceeding the putrid pepperminitifcation of every single thing. Also, BONUS 12 Days of Pittsburgh N’at video sung to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas.

8. And yet another movie trailer where the bridges, tunnels, and skyline of Pittsburgh play a supporting role.

YouTube Preview Image

(h/t Charles)

9. Help a local Burgher raise funds for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh via gaming!

He only needs about $170 to reach his goal, which is part of a bigger goal of his entire team to raise $50,000!

Awesome Burghers.

10. Pedestrian penalty cards.

I need these in my life.

(h/t Goob)

11. Pittsburgh, this boy needs a service dog. Please please help him get one even if you only do it for the good karma it puts out there that you never have such trials in your life.

(h/t Jaime)

12 Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo, and Channing Tatum are in town filming a movie here in the New Hollywood.

Calibrate those Stalk-O-Meters to stun and self-unite.

But step off.

Srsly.

[awkward kung fu moves]

1. Observacious
    October 18, 2012 11:29 am

Yet another post that leaves me craving Smiley Cookies (and possibly being buried alive in Smiley Cookies).

2. Marcy
    October 18, 2012 11:44 am

Ginny, I love the sentiment (giving kids cookies) but am I being too sensitive when I think that a coffin isn’t the best thing to send to a building full of sick people, regardless of the holiday?

• Butcher's Dog
      October 18, 2012 11:49 am

I gotta agree, Marcy. Sick people probably want to see coffins about as much as Pirates fans want to see Nate McLouth come back. Again.

• Virginia
        October 18, 2012 11:52 am

Oh my God. Can you imagine? I would have won my own Most Embarrassing Moment contest! Post edited. :)

3. Butcher's Dog
    October 18, 2012 11:50 am

OK, the oversized umbrellas probably don’t make for much fun on a city sidewalk. But they’re the only size that lets you walk in the rain and be, you know, dry. At least more than your head and shoulders dry. Just sayin’.

• Bojack
      October 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I carry a large (not quite golfer’s-max) umbrella, but I am very aware and careful when walking by anybody!

Is that not just common courtesy?

I notice many, many people are simply rude and ignorant with their regular umbrellas!

Don’t hate the game, hate the player! :-)

4. Noelle
    October 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Ginny, Are you aware that your twitter feed is no longer being updated on your blog banner?

5. Bojack
    October 18, 2012 1:06 pm

PS- I bet most “rude-brellas” (I just coined that term) are mean-spirited republicans!

JUST KIDDING!! :-)

October 18, 2012 1:27 pm

There’s Pittsburgh in that trailer? All I see is a woman in black lingerie. At 0:17. Again. And again …

Reading “The law has limits … he doesn’t” makes me think that is going to suck, and suck hard. (Eventually, I got past 0:17).

Anyway, I got a beef with both Christmas and Halloween. They are holidays meant for children that adults have selfishly and greedily stolen and refuse to give back. Stolen Christmas by turning it into a “can you top this” buy-a-palooza, against everything the day was meant to express, and stolen Halloween by making the kids trick or treat in the daylight while the adults use it as another excuse for amateur drinkers to get shitface, like New Year’s Eve and St. Patrick’s Day, and crowding us professionals out of the quiet and solace of the bar.

7. LisaB
    October 18, 2012 9:53 pm

As much as I love my Burgh, and as much as I love the fact that many movies are being made here, and as much as I LOOOOVE the Jack Reacher books…no way am I going to spend my money to see pipsqueaky freaky Tom Cruise play a 6’5″ blond ex-Army MP.

Of all the actors who could have been chosen, they picked HIM?

:facepalm:

8. Emily
    October 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Next month I’m voting for Snowmageddon. Come on ‘week off work!’

9. Steelergurl