Fun with Google’s “Visually Similar Images”

I worship at the church of Google Image.  If it exists on the vast expanse of Internet, Google Image can find it. Lately I’ve noticed that Google Image will provide you with “visually similar images” to the one you’re searching for.

Ending sentences in prepositions is the new black.

This is how it’s supposed to work: Sometimes Google nails it and sometimes … it doesn’t.

1. Steely McBeam Similar to everything from SpongeBob to … well … YOU figure out what all the rest of that shit is. Speaking of mascots, let’s try …

2. The Pirate Parrot: Parrot. Parrot. Rose. Parrot. Parrot.

Makes sense.

3. James Harrison:

Watches, widgets (I assume that’s a widget), and a dog with a giant leaf in his mouth.

Close enough.

4. Jeff Reed:

Congratulations, Jeff. You look like old people. And what appears to be Jon Gruden?

I’m actually kinda surprised Lady Elaine Fairchilde didn’t show up in there. Which gives me an idea…

5. Lady Elaine Fairchilde Dear Mister Rogers, Google Image search has determined that your somewhat terrifying puppet is visually similar to a pierced uvula.

Make of that what you will.

Also, I don’t need to tell you, do I, that The Pierced Uvulas would make a kickass band name?

1. Pensgirl
    October 26, 2012 10:07 am

Little known fact: Rep. Waxman is totally known as “Skippy” around the Capitol.

These are amazing. I foresee oodles of wasted time in my future.

2. WIMom
    October 26, 2012 10:40 am

Umm- that is a tulip, not a rose.
    And I don’t understand why all those watches show up for James Harrison. Any ideas?

• Pensgirl
      October 26, 2012 11:30 am

Looks to me like the algorithm appears to favor color and spatial positioning in the shot as opposed to things like presence of a human face, exact shape of the object, etc. So it reads James’ shirt as visually similar to the watch faces because they’re the same color and in the centrally positioned, whereas his legs/pants and to a lesser extent his head are being read as similar to the watches’ bands (darker, and below/above the shirt). Same for the dog – darker color surrounding large, centrally-located yellow object. The flower in the Parrot grouping appears to be there due to color as well.

That site “My Heritage” has (or had, I haven’t been to it in forever) that feature where you could upload a photo and get celebrity lookalikes. At least when that started, if you had curly hair you’d get other curly-haired people, or if you were wearing glasses you’d get other people with similar-looking glasses, and if you were sorta facing to the right you’d get results with celebs who were sorta facing to the right, regardless of whether you actually had any facial features in common with them. Led to a lot of results like the second guy in the Jeff Reed grouping.

• StacyfrPgh
      October 27, 2012 3:12 pm

It’s a Parrot Tulip. How about trying visually similar images to Frankenstorm?

3. Butcher's Dog
    October 26, 2012 10:58 am

Not sure how clear the vocals would be on the Pierced Uvulas first album. Perhaps digital enhancement would be in order. Still, as a name…..very kick-ass!

4. Sue
    October 26, 2012 11:09 am

Pierced uvulas???!!! How would you keep from gagging if your uvula was pierced? Kids these days!!

5. Monty
    October 26, 2012 12:21 pm

How do 10 pictures of Bill Clinton not pop up for the Lady Elaine search?

6. AngryMongo
    October 26, 2012 12:28 pm

I loved when Inflamed Epiglottis opened for them.

7. Suzie-Q
    October 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I hope the incarcerated members of Pussy Riot do not leave prison as the Pierced Uvulas!!!