#happythanksgiving, @mayorluke!

Last night had the potential to bring a great deal of devastation to our area with Superstorm Sandy threatening to dump enough rain on us to completely saturate the ground, and when the ground is saturated, bad things happen.

However, it appears that outside of some without power, downed trees, downed wires, and other moderate issues, Pittsburgh sat in the sweet spot between the feet of snow in WV and the feet of water to our east.

Throughout what actually turned out to be the storm of the century for New York and New Jersey, the City of Pittsburgh and the County of Allegheny took very different tacks in keeping their constituents informed.

Here’s the entirety of the City of Pittsburgh’s tweeting last night:

Allegheny County and Chief Executive Rich Fitzgerald? It’s a miracle they weren’t put in Twitter jail for how much they were tweeting “as it happens” updates regarding downed wires, signals out at which exact intersections, rock slides, etc.

The @allegheny_co account tweeted almost 140 updates from the time Fitzgerald declared a state of emergency up until right now. They tweeted everything from the speed of wind gusts measured, amount of rain that fell, roads to avoid and more. Those updates were also simulcast on their Facebook page.

City of Pittsburgh’s Facebook page?

[crickets]

[tumbleweed]

[tumbleweave] (tm some genius)

Last night people began to notice this jarring difference between the two and started talking about it on Twitter, and wouldn’t you know it, the City noticed too because this morning?:

[golf clap]

But then again, for all we know the City could have been updating the SHIT out of their Plurk last night.

Also:

Never forget.

1. Relieved
    October 30, 2012 10:57 am

I’m no fan of Fitzgerald, but I’ll be the first to say he did a good thing last night. The city offices don’t seem to grasp how social media (FB, Twitter) work. Emergencies aren’t a 9-5 thing.

2. Butcher's Dog
    October 30, 2012 11:03 am

Could turn out to be all just a “tweet” in a windstorm, eh?

Sorry…couldn’t resist.

3. Sheila
    October 30, 2012 12:00 pm

I was impressed – was up at 3am with baby & Fitzgerald was stilll updating although at that point they realized we escaped the worst of it so there wasn’t much to update. But still definitely a great job.

4. Mimi
    October 30, 2012 1:27 pm

I didn’t monitor each and every update, but it’s great that some officials were going the extra mile, encouraging extra precautions, and communicating often via social media (even though there are a lot of older Pittsburghers like my mother, for example, who won’t step near a computer or smartphone and gets her updates the “old-fashioned way”).

And usually I don’t pay that much attention, but I don’t get all the critical comments out there about the city/meteorologists/closings/etc. This was a pretty serious weather event, and we are lucky that we came through fairly unscathed in our area.

5. PittinDC
    October 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I think that it is interesting that people were looking to those sources for information on the storm. I live in the DC metro area – I followed the Washington Post updates for various sources that they have, and followed the Fire, Police, and EMS twitter accounts of my community. Do those organizations in Pittsburgh not have twitter accounts? It never would have crossed my mind to check with the county.

6. Michelle
    October 30, 2012 7:48 pm

I also laughed at this, as my old neighborhood (Princeton, NJ) excelled at using social media to update citizens in times of crisis. It was invaluable when we lived there during Hurricane Irene last year. They had an interactive Google map up noting every downed tree and utility pole, where electricity and corresponding street lights are out, and which roads are completely or fully blocked. Citizens and police alike could post new information to it.
    But I suppose all that pales in comparison to holiday cheer.

October 31, 2012 9:52 am

I know, I know, it’s some kind of miracle, but somehow I managed to get through all this without Twitter at all.

Snow fell on my driveway. I shoveled it off.

All without Twitter!

I drove to work.

All without Twitter!

I put in my eight hours and drove home.

All without Twitter!

I opened a beer and got in bed with Mrs. Daddy.

Most definitely without Twitter.

Really, I don’t know how I survived.

• Butcher's Dog
      October 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Nothing about drinking the beer before you got into bed, I see. Idle minds may wonder at the ramifications of that. Even without Twitter.

8. Cono de Mierde
    November 1, 2012 2:15 am

HOS SIT DOWN.

9. Minister of Truth
    November 1, 2012 6:57 am

Who does this chirpy ass slampig think she is? Pittsburgh’s only cooter? I think not. I don’t care how much fucking you think you are doing, you aren’t the only wide open axe wound in town. Hell. go read the dirty, they have a way you can see a bunch of skanks like you throwing it every which way.

• Butcher's Dog
      November 1, 2012 10:41 am

Save the recreational drugs for after you respond to the blog, minister.

• ditgramps
      November 2, 2012 10:25 am

Minister…….. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt !
      Just thought I’d throw that in ’cause if it ever applied to anyone it applies to you first and foremost .
      Have a nice day , Dick .

Switch to our mobile site