Random n’at

1. Whew. What a crazy month December was. But what an amazing month and a busy month. My sisters all came home for the holidays and that meant lots of laughter and drinking and pudding shots, all before 11:00 a.m. most days.

We also crafted because Ta-Ta and Princess Aurora LOVE to craft. The only thing they love more than crafting is drunk crafting. So each Christmas they come up with a new craft to do together and this year they forced us all to take part in their little glue gun club.

Here’s what we made, and I have to admit, it was a blast:

Scrabble tile epoxy sticker necklace thingies! I’m sure that’s what they’re called.

You’ll never guess which one of those is mine.

Hint, it rhymes with Bombie Talvin.

2. Here’s our Christmas card, built by my son and I:

You’ll notice my wine glass is empty. Someone should rectify that.

Don’t worry, we’re going to the doctor soon to see about that bizarre thing growing out of my husband’s head.

3. New Year’s Eve brought my first ever taste of the Prantl’s New Year’s Good Luck “pretzel” wherein “pretzel” stands for delicious, iced, rolled, cinnamon-y pastry.

I have never tasted anything so amazing. And I ate so much of it that I’m pretty much guaranteed the luckiest year EVER.

Also, the jiggly-cottage-cheesiest winter butt ever.

Which will gave way to my slightly-less-jiggly-cottage-cheese Spring butt.

Which will give way to my “Oh, who are you kidding. Cookies are delicious.” summer butt.

4. Also over Christmas break, the Dread Lord Zober LOST HIS SHIT.

I mean, he lost it.

First go read the article about Lukey being very quiet about his new home, which, I don’t honestly see any problem with. It’s his personal life. It’s his home. Let it be.

But then read this:

And nine people actually liked a comment from the Dread Lord Zober for digging into the personal life of a constituent who dared badmouth Snoop Lukey Luke.

If that’s all it takes, they must have a file ten-inches thick on me, with a big stamp on it that reads, “TO BE DESTROYED.”

Anyway. Shit. Lost.

(h/t Becky)

5. Also over Christmas break, the Steelers lost and lost and lost and sucked and sucked and didn’t even make the playoffs because of a lot of reasons and one of those reasons is that Ben seems to throw interceptions at just the WORST POSSIBLE TIMES.

Never in the first quarter.

Always in the fourth quarter with the clock expiring and the game and playoffs on the line.

But I’m not bitter.

[punts a pigeon that resembles Ben into the Mon]

6. Long lost footage of Roberto Clemente found.

All I want them to find is an entire reel of footage showing off his throwing arm. Srsly. Because you get a little glimpse of that heaven at :40 in.

Right field to home plate. Boom.

Sigh.

7. A woman made the news for buying a bogus Steelers jersey from a Chinese website.

I should have called WTAE when my husband purchased this completely legit Merril HOGE jersey.

Nothing suspicious about that at all.

8. Joey Porter got arrested and not because his dogs ate a horse.

9. The fountain comes back in June. Dance of joy!

I practically forget what it looks like.

10. Shopping cart rage is a thing … in Fayette County.

And ONLY in Fayette County.

11. A local five-year-old girl held a fundraiser for an animal shelter and managed to score $1,500 in donations!

FIVE!

When I was five I was busy eating all the cookies.

12. It’s time to start getting excited for the Buccos of Suckitude and that means SQUEEEEE! at their newly unveiled alternate uniforms.

LOVE ‘EM!

THIS IS THE YEAR!

SHUT UP!

1. Cassie
    January 2, 2013 12:29 pm

#11: That’s my kid! WOO! (Sorry, proud mama moment.)

2. Bill
    January 2, 2013 12:42 pm

When my brother and I were kids he took me to a Pirate game at Forbes Field for my birthday. We sat in the first level box seats behind home plate on the third base side looking up the right field line. I saw Roberto pick up a batted ball from the ground at base of the right field wall and throw it to Manny Sanguillen at home like he threw it from the mound! It was thrown right in line where we were sitting. Had he thrown it higher we would’ve caught it. The base runner wisely stayed put on third base. It was one of those things you never forget!

3. SteelCityMagnolia
    January 2, 2013 1:55 pm

So the woman who bought the bogus Steeler jersey couldn’t figure out that something about that site MIGHT be amiss what with the poor grammar and the “nicesteelers.com” URL??? If the Obama jersey wasn’t a tipoff that something wasn’t quite right, the Jeff Reed jersey ought to SURELY have been!!!

I just can’t feel sorry for stupidity.

PS – Cassie, what an awesome little girl you have!!!

4. Butcher's Dog
    January 2, 2013 4:05 pm

Plenty of us have anecdotal Roberto-throw moments. Too bad more of them aren’t on video so that the young ‘uns don’t think we’re all just a bunch of old farts with fading memories. We are. But that’s not a factor in Roberto’s case.

• bluzdude
      January 2, 2013 6:59 pm

My dad told me that back in the day, he’d watch warm-ups from the right field bleachers at Forbes Field, while Roberto would throw balls from right field into a bucket sitting on 3rd base.

It really is a shame there’s so little footage of his arm. The one we always see, where he almost throws out Merv Rettenmund at 3rd, from near the right field line? You have to remember that he was 37 freakin’ years old when he did that… which is ancient in baseball years. I only wish I was around to see his arm when he was in his prime.

• bucdaddy
      January 3, 2013 1:48 am

And Maz turning two.

5. LeslieF
    January 2, 2013 5:27 pm

Watching the video where the new uniforms are unveiled reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine hosts that bachelor auction and Kramer is up for bidding…

Cutch, however, looks like a million bucks!

6. bluzdude
    January 2, 2013 6:53 pm

Quick tip: If the NFL jersey you’re buying is $20, it’s probably a counterfeit site. (Unless it’s a #34 or #17.)

7. Larry
    January 2, 2013 9:05 pm

re: Lukey, Zober, and shit- losing…

I dunno about that. I mean, if the commentary was “hey! Lukey gave money to your wife’s church!” (or his kid’s Brownie troop, or his mom’s bridge club), then yeah, I’d agree with you. but, if this guy is gonna say “Lukey’s an asshat”, and part of his household income has ties to initiatives Lukey put in motion, well… I don’t think that rises to the level of invasion of personal life…

(Formal disclosure: I don’t live or work in the city, and I don’t have any affiliation with any of the people in the story. And I haven’t publicly called any elected official an asshat. Yet.)

8. Johnaz6312
    January 2, 2013 9:19 pm

In regards to the Pirates showing off the new jerseys, Did anyone else hearing the LAUGHING in the back round?

9. Bean
    January 2, 2013 10:07 pm

Love the Christmas card!

10. facie
    January 3, 2013 9:43 am

Claire rocks, as does your Christmas card.

I think you may be right about the Buccos this year. I knew from the moment I saw the Steelers throwback uniforms that the team was going to have problems. Simplicity is the way to go, and it cannot hurt going with a uniform from a winning era.

11. Observacious
    January 3, 2013 10:35 am

I love your Christmas card. So much easier than trying to get everyone to look at the camera and smile at the same time. (This year our cards featured a picture of my son hitting my daughter in the face with a snowball. Holidays = love.)

12. sillywalter
    January 3, 2013 1:53 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who gorged on Lucky Pretzel Cake. The candied cherries top it off too!

13. Julia
    January 3, 2013 2:21 pm

Holy crap re: Zober/comment thread in general!! I can’t believe I didn’t read that sooner. I don’t think it’s a big deal where the mayor lives either, but it was such an innocent question. “How do you like your new neighborhood?” I had neighbors, friends, and family ask me that when I moved to the South Hills three years ago. My response was something along the lines of “it feels great not to be taxed to death and poorly represented like living in the city.”

14. Tim
    January 4, 2013 10:18 am

Number 4:

Doesn’t anyone get why Zober went off on this guy? The guys is bitching about the mayor not wanting to talk about his personal life and then people are saying Zober shouldn’t have spoken about a publicly funded project that this guy’s family benefited from? That wasn’t prying into that guy’s personal life. It was exposing his hypocritical statement.

Julia:

How are you overtaxed in the city? Yes, the Earned Income Tax (just your salary, not investments) is 2% higher if you live in the city. However, your property taxes (city and school) are lower than many of the other places to live in Allegheny County.

Property Tax millage rates (excluding Allegheny County’s 5.69 millage rate)

Pittsburgh: 24.72
    Mt. Lebo: 32.56
    Upper Saint Clair: 30.318
    Baldwin Township: 32.9
    Bethel Park: 27.92
    Dormont Borough: 34.03

Also, if two similar houses are in the city of Pittsburgh and the South Hills, the City of Pittsburgh house is cheaper to buy and the property taxes are even lower because your assessed value is lower (unless you live in some of the hotspots of the city such as the East End or Lawrenceville).

15. Butcher's Dog
    January 6, 2013 9:23 am

On another note…THEY’RE BAAAACK! Hockey lockout ends and your Pittsburgh Penguins will soon be skating on a frozen indoor pond somewhere near you. Break out the “Great Day For Hockey” shirts, boys and girls!