Switched at birth.

Last night. My daughter’s bedroom.

Her: I got this from my teacher’s library. Can you read it to me?

Me, aloud: Uh. Sure.

Me, internally: SON OF A MOTHERLESS HAIRLESS FATHERLESS LEGLESS ASSHOLE GOAT.

Three minutes later.

Me: The end. So as you can see, the moral of the story is that pigeons shouldn’t drive buses because they are the very incarnation of evil.

Her: [blink]

Me: Night night. [kisses her on her head and turns her light out]

Her: Mom?

Me: Yeah?

Her: I wish I had a pet pigeon.

Hey. Are you an animal lover who gave birth to a half-Mexican girl in December of 2006?

I think I might have your daughter.

Because this one ain’t mine.

1. Craig
    January 25, 2013 10:50 am

What’s the pigeon word for karma?

2. Michelle
    January 25, 2013 10:50 am

Instead of the pet pigeon, you can get the rest of Mo Willems’ pigeon books out of the library :) I jest, but I do love his books. Also check the Knuffle Bunny books. They may make you a little teary, though, especially Knuffle Bunny Free.

3. Clair
    January 25, 2013 11:07 am

that book was my son’s absolute FAVORITE (and likely still is, even though he is 9 now)…there are a couple more Pigeon books as well hahahaha :)

4. John
    January 25, 2013 11:13 am

Sounds like something my boy would do. Same age and he can push my buttons. Sounds like your daughter knows your button to push.

5. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 25, 2013 11:35 am

The Legion of Pigeon Defenders you always annoy? They’re sitting around thinking “Our curse on her is working! Bwahhahahahahahah!”

6. AngryMongo
    January 25, 2013 11:46 am

My daughter brought me this one to read to her before bedtime, once.
    Tikki Tikki Tembo http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/tikki.html

I wanted to rage quit the English Language after page three.

• empirechick
      January 25, 2013 1:03 pm

I love that one! I remember a slightly different version, though: Tikki Tikki Tembo Nosarembo Charley Barley Roochy Pip Berry Pembo. No idea why that is stuck in my head after all these years.

7. facie
    January 25, 2013 11:58 am

Hahahaha! I needed that laugh today.

8. Rob Carr
    January 25, 2013 11:58 am

I read this post to Cirrus the African grey parrot.

Her response? “Heh heh heh.” It was very much an “evil villain quietly chuckling over the successful progress of a nefarious plot” laugh. She has wings, so she couldn’t rub her hands together in stereotypical glee.

9. WI Mom
    January 25, 2013 1:02 pm

There is actually a whole series of that pigeon book, so be prepared.

10. LisaB
    January 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Ginny, is your version “Throw All the Pigeons Under the Bus”? Because I’ll volunteer to illustrate that for yinz.

11. Suzie-Q
    January 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Hmmm children begin rebelling against their parents at such a young age these days… !!!

12. Butcher's Dog
    January 25, 2013 10:31 pm

You think things are rough now? Just wait ’til puberty. Just sayin’.

13. KatieB480
    January 26, 2013 10:58 am

Have you shared your thoughts on pigeons with her the way you have with us before now?? Because that sounds a lot like my daughters getting a laugh at me when they brought home a book about snakes and how they reproduce.. Just specifically to gross me out. Sounds like a set up to me!! Watch out Ginny.. I have one that just hit puberty./. and yeah.. she has a go at me regularly…just like that.

January 26, 2013 11:45 am

Get her a mourning dove, see if she can tell the difference.

15. PA Girl in VA
    January 26, 2013 11:53 am

I just saw this book yesterday afternoon at B&N and immediately thought you you.

Switch to our mobile site