Random n’at

1. Fourth grade math. What a bitch it is.

Thing I said yesterday to my husband: “Can you come help him with his homework? I don’t understand it.” Then I poured some wine.

2. Blood Brother, the documentary about Rocky Braat, the AIP grad and Burgher who moved to India on a whim to care for HIV positive children won the audience choice for best documentary at Sundance. That is a big deal. A very big deal.

3. I’ll be writing more about this soon, but CAKE!

CAKE!

Not errybody likes onions, but ERRYBODY LOVES CAKE!

And I was asked to be a guest judge for CAKEitecture, a contest of the Carnegie Museum of Art for the 20th anniversary of the Heinz Architectural Center. The contest will pair five architecture/design firms with five local bakeries to create amazing cakes.

The event in FREE and I have no idea if I’ll actually get to eat any cake, but if you ask me to take part in an event and you include any of the following words or phrases … cake, cookies, David Conrad, Zima, pigeon torture, Nutella … I will say yes.

4. An honest Pittsburgh winter weather map.

5. A Pittsburgh Steelers LEGO car for charity that will BLOW YOUR MIND.

YouTube Preview Image

6. Lukey sent a letter and forgot to have it proofed.

Click for embiggen. Dear Lukey, embiggen is NOT a word. Don’t even THINK about using it in your next letter all, “I’m thrilled with the embiggening of donations to my campaign…”

(h/t Jason)

7. Quote:

Near the end of the one-hour session, moderator Chris Zurawsky asked the tactical question that has hung over the early stages of this competition — whether it made sense for two candidates to be competing for anti-incumbent votes.

A smiling Mr. Ravenstahl said he’d be happy to defer to his challengers on that one.

He knows. HE KNOWS he wins a split vote.

8. You think you know what Jamie and Ali went through in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, but you have no idea:

I felt like I was gasping for every breath, and Jamie remained incredibly calm, driving through narrow spaces, past people missing limbs, one woman missing her face, but screaming for help. A woman banged on our window asking for help, holding a baby in her other hand that had just been born, still connected by the umbilical cord.

Go read part two of Ali’s earthquake story.

9. Can’t remember if I told you to go read my review of Flashdance. If you saw it, let me know if you agree or disagree with my thoughts.

10. Official Smokin’ Hot Burghers Gina Cerilli and Elena LaQuatra served as MTV Made coaches to help a Point Park tomboy become a pageant queen and it is awesome.

You only have to wait until like a minute in before the word jagoff is uttered and 15 minutes in before you hear a “yinz.” They seriously had their work cut out for them.

Also, “They’re making me wear bras. Which is stupid. Why would you be uncomfortable when you don’t have to be?”

Preach it, sister. [adjusts the piercing underwire of her bra]

1. Dave
    January 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Ensure can mean guarantee. Seems ok to me…

• Virginia
      January 28, 2013 2:21 pm

No. It is not correct. I assure you it isn’t.

• red pen mama
        January 28, 2013 2:34 pm

What if it was proof read? What if Lukey just has an incompetent proofreader on staff? Note to Luke: spell check is not a proofreader.

• Butcher's Dog
          January 29, 2013 9:27 am

Ginny wins; “ensure” isn’t correct in that place. And rpm is correct; spell check is no proofreader. If you’ve correctly spelled the wrong word, it’ll never let you know. It has to pass through a functioning human brain for that. Those are in short supply, hence the endless need for competent English teachers.

• bucdaddy
        January 29, 2013 10:21 am

The AP Stylebook offers these guidelines:

Use ensure to mean guarantee: Steps were taken to ensure accuracy.

Use insure for references to insurance: The policy insures his life.

According to the Chicago Manual of Style, “we ensure events and insure things. But we assure people that their concerns are being addressed.”

2. Ben
    January 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Yep, Luke wins easily with more than one challenger.

3. red pen mama
    January 28, 2013 2:37 pm

*Love* the map.

Dear girl who doesn’t want to wear a bra: You can find comfortable bras. Do a professional fitting. That being said, I’m not in love with wearing a bra, and I am very small-chested. I wear them so I actually have shape. If you are bigger than an A-cup, you need a little something something to hold you up.

Cake sounds good right about now. And a hot cuppa.

4. Jonathan Gaugler
    January 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Jonathan from Carnegie Museum of Art here. Yes, you can eat the cake. And you should!

5. Zach
    January 29, 2013 10:07 am

My inner snark craves another Ravenstahl term… I can ensure you of that. I’ve introduce several people from out of town to a few of his difference measures and they are baffled.

January 29, 2013 10:23 am

They still teach kids math?

Could have fooled me.

7. Pa-pop
    January 29, 2013 10:56 am

Maybe when he wrote it the mayor was slurping his favorite nutritional supplement and lost focus as he savored the rich chocolate flavor of 24 essential vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants.

January 29, 2013 11:09 am

I’d like to say “PPU, represent!” except I know they have a theater department that probably teaches students better than to vastly overact the tomboy bit in playing to the camera.