Random n’at

1.  It’s cold. I’m cold. I’m ready for spring. And the only thing keeping me warm is the Nick and Jess kiss on New Girl.

HAWT LIKE HELL FIRE!

2. You will never ever ever convince me that the person who invented this knitting craft isn’t sick in the head. SO SICK IN THE HEAD.

(h/t Samantha. Can I call you Sam?)

3. Cat lovers are voting for Lukey, but dog lovers are voting for Peduto.

Go read the 11 other interesting facts about this year’s mayor race and to see the new rapper names I’ve got for Lukey.

Straight G. Lukey Cube is my fave.

4. Remember that screed I wrote called “Fed up” about rude Burghers? Go read the story of how one woman in a car in Homewood restored my faith in the kindess of our people.

A snippet:

I heard a voice call out. “Excuse me, miss!”

I turned toward the road, and there was the young lady. In her car. Leaning out her window. I resisted the urge to hit the pavement in case I was about to experience a drive-by from a woman who yells “Excuse me, miss!” before shooting her victims.

She fired 10 words.

Go read the rest.

5. From the A.V. Club comes the best Mister Rogers post ever. “Is Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood the Greatest TV Show Ever?” is worth a read.

And this video they feature of Mister Rogers remaining unflappable in the face of Joan Rivers’ snark is worth a look.

YouTube Preview Image

He was Jesus.

(h/t Jonathan)

6. Speaking of Mister Rogers, last night while doing the dishes, I had TBS on the kitchen TV when Family Guy came on, a show I’ve never seen (I LOVED IT!). This was the opening scene in which Stewie dreams of destroying The Neighborhood of Make Believe. It’s terrible but I couldn’t help laughing at Lady Elaine’s body thwapping around her carousel and also … “Meow meow skin graft meow meow!”

LOLZ.

Sorry Mister Rogers.

7. Governor Corbett has introduced a plan to privatize the liquor sales in Pennsylvania. His goal is to get the state out of the liquor sales business. And to trust us people to buy our alcohol out from under their Big Brother eye without becoming a commonwealth of alcoholics who only have ambitions as they relate to the procurement of the devil’s juice.  To join the other states in the union who long ago realized what a ridiculous waste of money and manpower it is to remain committed to this outdated bastion of prohibition.

Anyway, if this goes through? This is what I’ll do the first time I see wine at Target …

Testify!

8. If you’re a musician who would like to do a nice thing for a local boy battling cancer, then perhaps you’ll write a song for Aidan too?

Check it out and make this boy’s day.

9. A Youngstown native wrote a piece claiming my “menacingly stabby” article about Pittsburgh’s ownership of the wedding cookie table just isn’t true.

LA-LA-LA-LA-I CAN’T HEAR YOU.

10. In about one week I will be launching the fundraising effort for the next phase of Make Room for Kids on behalf of the Mario Lemieux Foundation. Would you be there for me and the sick kids of Pittsburgh, please?

1. Butcher's Dog
    February 1, 2013 5:15 pm

Well, those of us who live in rural areas aren’t nuts about the privitazation stuff. We’re well served by our Wine and Spirits Shoppe in my small, northern Mercer County town. Where, by the way, a 1.5 liter bottle of Liberty Creek cabernet lists for $7.99. That’s the exact same price we found the same thing at in a huge grocery store in Maine this fall. My local WalMart is a Supercenter, but I’ll be damn willing to bet they won’t carry the selection my state store has. Corbett is looking for huge one-time scores of money with all this privitazation crap. When that runs out (and it will), then the revenue stream will be dry. Best (in my opinion) to leave things as they are.

• Virginia
      February 1, 2013 5:29 pm

I don’t think you need to worry. Head south to Texas or Arkansas with their rural areas and you’ll see that entrepreneurs will certainly pick up where the state-run PLCB leaves off. There’s honestly a reason that every other state isn’t in the liquor business.

• Julia
        February 4, 2013 2:04 pm

I agree. We were in a WV grocery store last year that was pretty well off the beaten path, and they had an entire downstairs area dedicated to wine and liquor. It was huge. They even had an area for tastings! The price was better than PA state stores, the selection was the same if not better, and it was way more convenient to get our wine and liquor at the same time as the food. I’m in anticipation of PA getting out of the alcohol business. I honestly think that people who are bitching about it have not taken the time to understand the issue, and are simply afraid of change.

• bucdaddy
      February 2, 2013 1:52 am

Ever been to West Virginia? My grocery stores have entire wine aisles.

West by-God: 20 years ahead of Pennsylvania and counting.

More or less fiscally solvent too.

Also: Losing in the Big 12 > winning in the Big East.

• Butcher's Dog
        February 3, 2013 4:05 pm

Well, I’ve been through it. Only takes a lifetime or two to get from the northern end out the southern end. We’re half way to Myrtle Beach once we see the sign that says “Virginia Welcomes You”. And it doesn’t mean Our Virginia, either.

Article in the Sharon Herald indicated, contrary to what you seem to be saying, Bucdaddy, that when West-By-God went to this system there were rural counties and areas that basically got shut out. We only have, like, four or five state stores in Mercer County as it is. Can’t see the selection, at the least, being duplicated by WalMart and other big box places. As always, just sayin’.

• bucdaddy
          February 4, 2013 11:46 am

Not sure what rural areas/counties those would be. I can’t recall ever hearing of anyone complaining here that he lives too far from a beer/wine outlet.

One feature of the W.Va. system, BTW, is that the licenses get re-bid every 10 years, so it’s not just a one-time windfall for the state. Also, there are some rules built in to try to help the more mom-and-pop outlets keep their licenses against the Walmarts and the like.

Morgantown has two Giant Eagle and three Kroger stores, and the wine aisles, from what I can see, have a fairly good selection. Nobody is going to have everything, of course. The Giants Eagles have liquor departments too; Kroger does not. However, there are a couple of other non-chain (I don’t think) beer.wine/liquor outlets that aren’t grocery stores, including one near downtown called Ashebrooke Liquor Outlet. My guess is that if you couldn’t find what you wanted, the management would probably try to get it for you, as long as they were licensed to sell it here. (We have a 12.0 ABV limit on beer, for instance, so we’re not gojng to see any of the more exotic Dogfish Heads, even if Dogfish Head were sold here, which t isn’t.)

Aaaaand virtually every convenience store, drug store and gas station has at least a small beer/wine section in the coolers.

I also don’t recall much pissing and moaning from the unions when W.Va. converted its system. Don’t know exactly why that is, they must have been generously bought off or something. This is that thing that annoys me most, perhaps, about the whole state store argument in Pa.: If it’s framed as anything other than union intransigence and politicians’ fear of losing voting support, then consider that framing bullshit. There’s absolutely no other reason for the state to not get out of the liquor business, and people should just be up front about that:

“We don’t want liquor stores privatized because we might lose our good-paying union jobs.”

“I won’t support privatizing liquor stores because I’m afraid of union backlash costing me the next election.”

There. That’s everything that needs to be said about it.

2. Jim
    February 1, 2013 5:31 pm

Mr. Rogers was a class act, and it shows it that video. It also shows why Joan Rivers was and is one of the most unfunny comedians ever to be on TV. It seems like she didn’t want to do that interview and tried everything to mess with him for her own amusement.

Too bad Johnny took that night off. He would have treated Mr. Rogers with a lot of respect.

• MattDC
      February 3, 2013 11:07 pm

I have to disagree. Joan was and is a trailblazing comedienne, and she treated Fred with the respect he deserves. Both of them came off as class acts in this video. Anyone who doesn’t like Fashion Police, just doesn’t like comedy. Or else they are very, very old. And I’m sorry to have to challenge an icon, but most people under 50 don’t think Johnny Carson was all that tremendously funny. The comedians won’t say that, because they owe their careers to him, but really, his expiration date was sometime in the early 70s. After that, we all loved him just because he was Johnny Carson.

3. Chris Travers f/k/a Pa-pop
    February 1, 2013 6:28 pm

I know you can’t hear me with your fingers still buried in your ear canals, but I have just a small point of correction to make. I’m a native of New Castle and not Youngstown, but I nevertheless have risen to defend the city of my residence in The Great Cookie Table Debate. BTW, the Mahoning Valley Historical Society – if they haven’t already – may reach out to you with an invitation to their Cookie Table & Cocktails event in a few weeks (cookies and wine, Ginny, coooooookies and wiiiiiiiiiiiine…). Should you feel the least bit apprehensive of coming to what you may fear as a potentially hostile territory of Cookie Tabledom (especially in light of Jack Warner’s chat with J. Edgar), please let me humbly ASSURE* you that you are most graciously welcome and that I would be pleased to serve as your wingman.

*Mayor Ravenstahl: please note the proper usage of this word.

4. Meghann
    February 1, 2013 6:53 pm

That kiss!!!!

5. facie
    February 1, 2013 7:17 pm

I was glad your column had a happy ending; I was getting a little worried, but I know there are always good Burghers out there.

I also read the previous issue (while at the library), which starred OUR great one, Mario. I got a little teary when I read that when he played in Philly after his last radiation treatment, the crowd there gave him a standing ovation. I will never think of the Flyers crowd in the same way again. Well, at least not until the Pens play there and the crowd starts booing (chanting) Crosby 30 seconds into the game.

Please post the video of your dancing if this liquor privatization ever goes through, m’kay?!

February 2, 2013 1:54 am

Kiss, bah.

Emily is the hot Deschanel. And she’s not even the second-hottest woman on her own show.

7. Janelle
    February 2, 2013 4:02 pm

LOVE that Mr. Rogers video.

As for alcohol, maybe it’s because I’m such a young whipper-snapper, but I had no idea until I read the news article that we’re only one of two states without privatized alcohol. My reaction: WHAT DARK AGE ARE WE LIVING IN!?

• Steve
      February 2, 2013 10:07 pm

Bonus points for naming the other.

• MattDC
      February 5, 2013 4:44 pm

Likewise. I enjoyed the lengthy reader dialogue about the pros and cons of “state stores.” It was like re-living my youth in the 70s, when I last lived in PA. In fact, I still carry around that LCB card just to prove that I once had a tremendous amount of hair.

• Butcher's Dog
        February 5, 2013 9:38 pm

Back in the day, the LCB card was the only legit proof of age. Ahhh…those were the days!

• MattDC
          February 5, 2013 10:57 pm

In this era of photo-documentary ubiquity, that old LCB card — and my draft card — are my only proof that I was once young. They’ll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.