Girl on fie-ah.

There are some things on earth that really put the fire in my belly.

Is that the right phrase?

Does it mean it germinates in my guts a great gush of heated, boiling rage? Yes? Then, yes, FIRE IN MY BELLY.

This girl is on fie-ah.

Here are a list of those belly-flaming hates:

– pigeons. ‘natch.

– Ray Lewis

– Tom Brady

– The Flyers

– the Turnpike Commission [punch]

– The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board

Oh, I have waxed PISSED many, many times at the PLCB and its defiant existence in this the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen.

You don’t need me to go on again about why it needs to be privatized, why it needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-tens and then lit on fire, do you?

Good. Because I don’t much feel like breathing fire today.

But take a look at this video from yesterday in which a union agent Wendell Young, representing the state store employees, decided to act like a petulant child, a bully of the worst sort, an ogre. Watch as he shouts down the speaker at this press conference with a smirk smuggier than any smirk ever smugged.

YouTube Preview Image

This is what the Commonwealth is up against in trying to do what almost every other state has done … get out of the liquor business.

Talk about an uphill climb just to reach the top of the mountain to find a volcanic crater belching angry hot lava.

To Mr. Wendell Young I say, you may think you look like this:

batman

But you really look like this:

temper

Grow up.

1. AJB
    March 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I’m guessing, if this was smell-i-vision, there would be a strong odor of vinegar emanating from Mr. Young (aka Massengill)

2. Tiffany
    March 14, 2013 12:38 pm

What an embarrassment this man is.

3. Magus Patris
    March 14, 2013 12:41 pm

I’m sure his children are proud of him. What a great role model! <>

4. Magus Patris
    March 14, 2013 12:42 pm

BTW my last comment; HEAVY SARCASM.

5. Jill M
    March 14, 2013 12:51 pm

What a horse’s arse this man is…

6. LuAnn
    March 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Embarrassment doesn’t begin to describe it…

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 14, 2013 1:46 pm

In my opinion, Wendall Young is a giant ass only inserted in preserving his cushy, high paying position as a lobbyist. Yes, he’s a state store union worker, but my guess is that he hasn’t been a member of the rank and file workers for years. There are two state store unions – one for Philly and one for the rest of the state. I have family members who have worked and do work at the state stores. All of them want a system that allows them the convenience og going to one place to get beer, wine and booze, but that also provides some sort of job protection. I don’t thing the two ideas are mutually exclusive.

• bucdaddy
      March 14, 2013 11:58 pm

I’m guessing that if you knew how much the average union state store employee makes, and what the benefits are, you’d understand perfectly why these folks will scream to keep their jobs, and why the system never changes.

• Paul
        March 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, they probably get paid a living wage. The bastards.

Either way, who wouldn’t want to protect their job?

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
        March 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Oh, I know exactly how much they make, along with their benefits and the history of patronage endemic to these positions in certain parts of the Commonwealth. During the last fifteen years in various positions in the public sector I met with Mr. Young and members of the union’s executive board. Giant bullies if you didn’t agree with them. Ass kissers if you did.

I’ve staffed both sides of this whole liquor privatization issue, depending on whatever party was in the Governor’s office at the time. I’ve read the studies (even written part of the studies), done the research and know the pros and cons that everyone and their uncle brings to the table. I’ve written draft language, introduced language and negotiated language. No matter the issue, self interest is the man driver in any piece of legislation in Harrisburg (or (Washington). That’s why when I had the chance to jump to the private sector, to say I jumped would be an understatement.

8. Steel Magnolia
    March 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Guys like him are what give unions a bad name.

9. Monty
    March 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Maybe he’s still pissed about riding the pine behind Barasso during our first two Stanley Cup runs.

10. Janelle
    March 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I totally get that people would lose jobs, which is never a good thing, but there’s no reason the state still needs to be in the liquor business. We can’t be afraid to move forward–in any business–because of the jobs it’ll kill.

11. Suzie-Q
    March 14, 2013 10:10 pm

I’m in a union, my father was in a union, my grandfather who immigrated here from Italy was in a union. My grandfathers union was formed at a time people’s lives were at risk in the workplace, my father’s union assisted in providing health care benefits and a safe workplace. My union is a debacle that protects the lazy and less than ethical workers who screw up on their jobs and are protected by the union…..when in all actuality they SHOULD be fired.

Have you ever read the adjudication hearings on the Civil Service website….read them and weep or laugh they are RIDICULOUS.

I believe my grandfather would break down and cry if he saw how the union has devolved.
    Sorry….this touched a nerve.

• Emme Kay
      March 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah. There is a time and a place for unions, but they’re a mixed blessing. My father, a machinist, was a negotiator for his union at one point. From this he learned that when the chips are down, the union protects useless senior members who will sit on their asses and do jack while letting go newer people who work their tails off. He never liked that and never forgot it. On the other hand, the union did protect them all from a factory worker who would have worked them into the ground, paid them as nothing, and fired them for new blood as soon as he’d crippled every last one of them if he could have. So there is a reason for unions. Just… meh.

If only Mr. Rogers and Jesus ran unions.

• Erin Vuono
      March 18, 2013 11:24 am

A-freaking-men, Suzie-Q.

12. gunnlino
    March 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Wendell Young is the shining example of the union / political thug ,institutionally and culturally corrupted by power and money . He is a loud mouth cartoon character looking overfed and wearing a size too small collar squeezing his too large neck into his chin .
    His only interest is maintaining his power and income .
    My Father , a life long union member , railed against meatheads like Wendell Young , asking why all the union bosses wore too tight suits , were overweight , sweated a lot and had very shiny shoes, and , he asked why all the working guys shoes were beat up ?
    Never trust a loud mouth with shiny shoes .
    Stepping back from the mic now .

13. Suzie-Q
    March 16, 2013 1:14 pm

In many cases, privatization concerns me as it places profit into the pockets of corporate entities rather than the people of Pennsylvaina. However, when I read of the adolescent behavior that goes on in the places of employment and the time, money and effort spent resolving such behavior….I am disgusted. http://webcontent.scsc.state.pa.us/legal/adjview.aspx

14. MattDC
    March 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Only Pennsylvania would still be debating the pros and cons of privatizing alcohol sales. Who cares? Sorry folks, those of us who have moved to other states have also shifted our focus to legalization of pot (quite successfully, as you know, in two states and soon to be seven more). Cannabis is a safer and healthier alternative to liquor, which I and my fellow Western Pa baby boomers have been forced to consume illegally since the1970s and 80s, while lying about it to our own kids. Legalization will also create a critical revenue stream for the state. I could care less whether it involves union employees. Seriously. It’s time to move on, people.

15. LisaB
    March 17, 2013 12:40 am

Every time I hear Wendell Young pontificating about how all his union folks are going to lose their jobs, I wonder why he thinks they are all so lazy and clueless that they would never be hired by the private enterprise liquor stores that ought to be selling wine and liquor in PA as in 48 other states.

He doesn’t seem to have much confidence in the people he claims to represent.

If I became a liquor store owner once sales are privatized, I’d seek out the best, most knowledgeable and experienced former State Store employees to place in my business. Apparently Wendell believes none of them are capable of handling a private-sector job.

16. jjgolfer
    March 17, 2013 8:49 am

Ex pat pgh gal and LisaB have it right on…..if these workers are so good at what they do (and Im guessing that most, but not all, are) then they should not fear losing their jobs on change of ownership. i have bought and sold hundreds of businesses in my professional career, and the good employees, where there are no redundancies, are always retained.
    Mr. Young just doing his job….not sure how it helps me, which is the biggest rub here….and I’m pretty sure most of us would not do his job this way….what he needs to do is find a way to make his cause more than just about him/his people, but find a way to get customers, vendors, and the state interested in his constituents too…shouting about “profits over people” isnt it…because tomorrow, if I pay $1 (or more ) more for alcohol in this commonwealth, all I envision is that $1 ( or more) going to Mr. Young. Not an appealing choice for me. At that point, I DO prefer profits over that people…..