- March 21, 2013
- filed under Evgeni Malkin, Make Room for Kids, Mayor Ravenstahl, Penguins, Random, Steelers, The Damn Pigeons
1. First, a giant thank you to every single one of you who donated, tweeted, retweeted, Facebooked, or in any way helped with the Make Room for Kids fundraising effort this year.
The Amazon wish list is empty, which helped close the funding gap we were dealing with. The kids at The Children’s Home will get their computers and XBOXes and movies and games and printers and TVs, while the kids in the units we’ve already outfitted at Children’s Hospital will get the extra games they requested as well as the extra XBOX controllers.
Everyone will be happy!
Look for the install day post in late April and you’ll be able to see exactly what your donated dollars were spent on, and you’ll see the smiles they will bring to the sick kids.
2. The next mayor of Pittsburgh is not Bill Peduto or Michael Lamb … It’s Rebecca De Mornay.
Rebecca De Mornay and Nick Westrate have been cast as leads in NBC’s hourlong pilot Hatfields & McCoys, a take on the infamous feud set in present-day Pittsburgh. The startling death of the McCoy patriarch re-ignites the feud between the two legendary families, unleashing decades of resentment. De Mornay will play the central character of Mary Hatfield, the Mayor of Pittsburgh and matriarch of the powerful Hatfields, who basically run the city through their development company and political connections.
I like it.
Also, I’d like to volunteer my services to the writers to help them instill some true Pittsburgh flavor into the dialogue.
Mayor De Mornay: [slams hands on desk] If this gets out, things get ugly. Put a lid on it. I don’t need every yinzer from here to Aliquippa showing up and demanding we [finger quotes] “warsh the corruption out, n’at.”
Email me, yo.
3. Pittsburgh Minecraft map. There should be a Flyers skin for all the creepers.
I know way too much about Minecraft thanks to my kids.
4. This picture. Pittsburgh at dusk. MAN.
From wmellott on Reddit.
5. The Steelers have lost James Harrison, Mike Wallace, Willie Colon, Rashard Mendenhall.
They signed Matt Spaeth and William Gay, both former Steelers.
So basically our new strategy is “out with the old; in with the old.”
6. Pittsburgh’s Miss Smiling Irish Eyes 2013 is deaf.
7. The teenaged founder and CEO of local company Simple Sugars will appear on Shark Tank on March 29. Set your DVRs.
8. The Knitting Lady sent me this pic of Geno holding her sock.
His face confuses me so much. For instance, here he is so attractive. Other times, it’s like WHOA, UGLY STICK!
9. “A very important in-depth analysis of early-90s style, featuring Jaromir Swagr” is the best thing you’ll read today.
I especially appreciate the scientific analysis of the ratio of the torso region to the leg region while he is wearing mom-jeans.
10. Amazing pictures of Pittsburgh’s skyline taken this winter by Matt Robinson.
Couldn’t pick my favorite if there was an angry pigeon to my eyeball.
(h/t my dad)
11. Chatham University is holding a FREE fun-filled family-friendly Spring carnival complete with egg hunts, Easter Bunny photos, raffles, Haitian snacks, and more! And any proceeds or donations made are going to Haitian Families First!
See you there? I’ll be the one with the little girl who is begging the balloon artist to make her a pigeon.
Mommy will POP THE SHIT OUT OF THAT THING.
[awkward kung fu moves]
12. And let’s end this post with some of my favorite tweets from awesome Burghers:
My foreign language study is made up of navigating the accidentally selected Spanish ATM menu.
— Mike Woycheck (@woy) March 13, 2013
For he so loved the world that he once looked up from his phone.
— Anthony Closkey (@anthonycloskey) March 20, 2013
Dear whole internet, don’t tell me my password must be under 10 characters. If I want heynowheyn0wdontdreamitsover as my pw, let me have it.
— Sean Collier (@seancollierpgh) March 19, 2013
William Gay back. Matt Spaeth back. You better be ready, Chidi Iwuoma. You next, homey. #Steelers
— Colin Dunlap (@colin_dunlap) March 18, 2013
I am assuming Ravenstahl is resigning so that he can go back and finish high school.
— Stephen Harkleroad (@americancrank) February 28, 2013
I like my chances in an apocalyptic scenario against people that have to flavor their water in order to drink it.
— Mike Woycheck (@woy) February 25, 2013
Some day I’m going to figure out what wakes me up 12 minutes before my alarm is set to go off and I’m going to set it on fire.
— burghbaby (@burghbaby) February 22, 2013
Commercial for the Thai McBistro. I’ve now determined my new porn name.
— Mr. theMoon (@Sheepthemoon) February 16, 2013
I don’t understand how I am the only person who starred that tweet. COME ON.
Thai McBistro would also be a great rapper name.