1. Things look a little different on the blog this morning. First, I’ve taken down the Make Room For Kids thermometer, which was sitting over there so long on account of my laziness, natch. [eats a cookie]
You’ll also notice that the three featured posts are gone from just below the header. That is because apparently the widgets all got in a fight and started disabling each other with vicious bitchslaps.
My blog designer, Jennifer of Inksplash, is due to deliver a baby at … any … moment, and therefore, she won’t be able to tinker with it for a bit of time.
And why don’t I just tinker with it and fix it myself? LOL. You’d be surprised how very very little I know about WordPress and HTML and mothereffing widgets. In fact, when people email me to ask me for help with the techy stuff on their blogs, my response is, “LOL! SOMETHING SOMETHING VEAL!”
All that to say … the blog looks different! It’s not just you!
I’m wordy today.
Wordiness is my co-pilot.
(h/t Randy Baumann)
3. How ’bout ‘dem Pens? I was glad they lost because they can’t never not lose again (triple negative, baby!) and I need them to lose now and not during the playoffs, eh?
Last night my brother-in-law Muchacho, Pens Fan’s husband, sent me a text so angry about Dan Potash, that I still to this moment do not understand what he was saying. He was apparently keyboard smashing on an iPhone, which isn’t an easy thing to do.
You know it’s bad in the Pens locker room when Dan Potash is forced to interview the opposing players.
And you know it’s a bad game when my brother-in-law turns on Dan Potash. That’s like walking up to Jeff Jimerson and being all, “No, I don’t want to run my fingers through your silky smooth hair.”
Also, wordiness! Get a cup of coffee; I’m using all the words today.
Including this one … brobdingagian.
[takes a bow]
4. Oh my God. We’re only on number 4.
You know, if you have to drive a piece of shit car, you might as well drive an AWESOME piece of shit car.
(h/t a bunch of yinz)
7. I recently reconnected to perhaps my favorite local artist Saihou O. Njie, whose paintings just … they’re amazing. I’ve been a fan for a decade now and someday, I will own one. Do you have one you want to sell me?
Anyway, check this out. His latest exhibit “Twinning,” at Manchester Craftsman’s Guild showcases his efforts to match 100 Africans with their African American lookalikes.
I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS.
8. AreThePiratesInFirstPlace.com is exactly what it sounds like.
(via Sarah from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books)
Sean Conboy is not only my editor, he is my spirit animal.
10. Things to read, because I can’t remember if I linked you to them or not on account of my previously discussed laziness [eats another cookie]:
- I’ve been trying to learn all of my grandma’s Syrian recipes. Problem is she died a decade ago and I didn’t bother to sit her down before that. BE YE NOT SO STUPID. Go read. I talk about Ouija Boards. My father just prayed for me.
- Then go read Wayno’s post featuring the early sketches for that column and how he decided on that illustration of me inside a measuring cup. LOVE IT. Although I kind of wish I could see his finished mock-up of The Devil’s Spatula, which is what I have dubbed the baker’s version of the gardener’s black thumb.
- My previous column was about Primanti Bros. going nationwide and how I feel about that and how you feel about that.
- Did you read my post about Target Canada using the Mister Rogers theme song in a commercial? It’s aboot time you did! I MADE A FUNNY.
- Did you read my post that was my farewell to Lukey? The post that a reader read and then said I had drank the Kool-Aid and was now “smitten” with Luke Ravenstahl? SOMETHING SOMETHING VEAL!
11. “Three Things You Didn’t Know About Roberto Clemente.” Unless you are me, and then you knew all of them.
[awkward kung fu moves]
12. Tweets I love from you guys this week:
It’s supposed to snow tonight. I will angrily stand outside and punch the snow as it falls
— Pat Hanavan (@PatHanavan) March 24, 2013
Made a loaf of bread. It’s rubbery like a bouncy ball. Or gum.I’ve essentially made whole wheat gum.
— SupervillainMom (@SupervillainMom) March 22, 2013
Ray Shero could bring the olympics to Pittsburgh. I believe this statement to be 100% true.
— Mikey (@fsmikey) March 28, 2013
In related news:Penguins acquire John Tavares from the Islanders for a signed Sidney Crosby skate.
— Denis Leary (@denisleary) March 28, 2013
Hoping that Starling Marte can play up to the level of how cool he looks and how cool his name is.
— chrisfafalios (@chrisfafalios) April 1, 2013
Snow and windy, now dry and sunny. Pittsburgh weather: if you don’t like it, wait 15 minutes and it’ll change.
— marie popichak (@maripops) April 1, 2013
Really thought 2013 was going to be the year I print something, walk over to the printer, and it’s there.
— Cara Sapida (@WPXICara) April 3, 2013
@janepitt But are the people of Century III Chevrolet, Lebanon Church Road, Pittsburgh safe? As I recall it is minutes from the mall.
— Kim Z Dale (@observacious) April 3, 2013
And now you have that jingle stuck in your head.
[drops mic and walks away]