Random n’at.

BHbpTL1CYAA2Jg8

(Chef at Light of Life Rescue Mission holding donated forks)

1. Oh. My. God.

Who would have thought one little Giant Eagle pharmacy rant would result in the madness it did and in the criticism toward me that it did?

You’ve got to go read the comments; you’d think I wrote a post about how we should kill all the puppies.

Oh, and I didn’t even include the part about how that was the second time that day I had tried to pick up that prescription, as they claimed the first time that they didn’t have it and they sent me away.

Anyway, KILL ALL THE PUPPIES. AND THE EAGLES WHILE WE’RE AT IT.

2. Speaking of birds, the Aviary hatched a new owl chick, and when I think baby owls I think this:

staring_baby_owl-600x480

(source)

I was wrong, though, because theirs is a baby EAGLE owl.

eagleowl

I looked into its eyes for ten seconds and I can tell you in no uncertain terms …

… that thing wants to kill me.

Why are birds so evil?

3. The first mayoral TV-spot is out and it is Bill Peduto’s and I kind of love it. Well done.

YouTube Preview Image

4. Speaking of mayoral candidates, Jake Wheatley’s entire campaign site doesn’t have a single picture of him on it. Not even the “About Jake” page.

Srsly.

And AJ Richardson not only has a DUI, a prior arrest, face tattoos, and the penchant for referring to himself in the third person,but his website has autoplay.

ajrichardson

When are these mayoral candidates going to ask my advice about fixing their shit? I mean, what does “skillful in morality” even mean?

Lukey would have been mayor for life if he would have brought me on board years ago to run the Office of Church.

5. Ay caramba, Penn Avenue Fish Company.

(h/t Woozle on Twitter)

6. The PensBlog boys have a gif of Sidney Crosby not blinking for 15 straight seconds during last night’s game.

You know who else does that?

Cyborgs.

7. Hadouken fights are the best Internet thing since the Rickroll, and this one from the Scarehouse made me pee a little it’s so awesome:

388575_10151328425682665_1793054175_n

You gotta see the whole set from the “fight.” So perfect.

I hate that zombie. And that bunny. They look harmless until you’re standing in a scary room in the dark and their noses are three millimeters from your neck, and you hear them inhale. [shudder]

8. Does hadouken really work?

I hope so.

Because I’m going to try it on the pigeons in Market Square.

[awkward kung fu moves] [HADOUKEN!]

9. Jamie and Ali McMutrie have HUGE news in that they won the prestigious Norman Borlaug Humanitarian Award!

They were flown to Las Vegas to accept the award in front of a crowd of 4,000. They’re having a free reception to celebrate on April 18 in East Liberty. They’ll be giving away Pens playoff tickets there too!

Details here.

10. If you’re looking for an easy way to give back to the community, I have it for you. The Light of Life Rescue Mission on the North Side is in need of forks for their meal services to the homeless. That’s it!

Not plasticware, as they like to reuse, but any old, mismatched forks you might have around the house can be dropped off at the mission on the North Side. I did it and it takes five seconds to hand them over at the front desk.

11. Pittsburgh is the new Hollywood, as a new A&E series will be both set here, and filmed here.

12. WUT?

But the device attached to the man’s body wasn’t a bomb at all. He took road flares and taped them to his chest. He then stuck an iPod earbud up his nose and ran the cord down to the flares.

Can you just picture this idiot coming up with this plan? Taping the flares to his chest, looking at himself in the mirror all, “How can I make this look even MORE realistic? iPOD EARBUD UP THE NOSE, GENIUS!”

13. Finally, some awesome Pittsburgh tweets:

Randy wins.

1. Sarah
    April 12, 2013 11:56 am

You liked that Peduto ad? I thought it was dark, somber and whiny. Not exactly the kind of mayor Pittsburgh needs right now.

2. Aimee
    April 12, 2013 11:59 am

Seriously, with Penn Avenue Fish Company… The sexy advertising, and the fact that ALL of the women who work in the store have teeny-tiny waists, huge boobs, TIGHT shirts and SHORT shorts (kudos to these ladies btw, they obviously have way more motivation to go to the gym than I do) makes me a little uncomfortable to go in there….

3. Kilgore
    April 12, 2013 12:24 pm

5. Penn Avenue Fish Company – Great photo for advertising fish tacos! (I guess that’s what you meant by “ay caramba”?)

4. Pa-pop
    April 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Re #5, I guess it reinforces the notion that one of their locations is in the strip district. (There *was* a fish in that photo, right? I don’t remember now…)

• Virginia
      April 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Right you are. I looked on his official pages, and didn’t see any sort of video up. Thanks!

5. Cassie
    April 12, 2013 12:53 pm

You know, there’s a bald eagle family near my house by the Hulton Bridge on the rt 28 cliff and I STILL HAVEN’T SEEN THEM YET.

I’m getting kind of angry and beginning to think I was lied to.

• Virginia
      April 12, 2013 2:43 pm

You are not being lied to. My cousin lives just off the Hulton Bridge and she tells me she not only sees them, see saw one flying alongside her car over the bridge.

• Sooska
      April 12, 2013 4:21 pm

At the beginning of March my husband and I were driving ARB and saw a bald eagle sitting in a tree and I took some photos. May not be your bald eagle, but it was a bald eagle along the Allegheny near Verona.

6. Rich D
    April 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Fish and boobs, together at last! #pennavenuefish

7. Butcher's Dog
    April 12, 2013 2:15 pm

My, but you DID get some response on the pharmacy thing. Seemed like a couple of the responders were getting their meds on the street, though. Just sayin’.

In other news, Letang is back, hopefully to stay. Cue the estrogen cloud.

8. Slumpbuster Douglas J
    April 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I think I realized what is wrong with Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Peduto support from people like the bloggers here puts him square in the center of the status quo. Pittsburgh’s image problem is the Pittsburghers people meet when they visit or”connect” with someone from Pittsburgh. Its Idiots like Virginia and her assorted “we are more pittsburghish than youy, we will define what that means, and we will get in the face of any visitor even though its people like virginia that make the people she wishes to attract or at least be in proximity to, vomit on themselves.

You people are everything wrong with pittsburgh.

• bucdaddy
      April 13, 2013 2:12 am

“youy”?

• MattDC
        April 13, 2013 9:40 am

I think it’s a combination adjectival and adverbial phrase — “more pittsburgh-ish than you-y” — which is actually a pretty pittsburghish thing to make up. Much as he seems to hate Virginia, I see he confers on her the title of “Idiot” with a respectful capital “I”.

• BD
      April 24, 2013 4:28 pm

This person is funny. Well, as in, idiots are funny.

9. red pen mama
    April 12, 2013 4:17 pm

So… Scott R. Priester has a new screen name?

Anyhoo, quit loving Pittsburgh so much, Virginia! And stop talking about your love for it! For goodness sake, you’re everything wrong with Pittsburgh. Somehow! Uh, yeah.

Happy weekend.

• Slumpbuster Douglas J
      April 12, 2013 8:58 pm

You are quite the rejoinderer. I am sure it passes by you that its her extreme middle-brow sensibility and insistence that the world regard her intentional crassness as “cute” and affected charm. Its actually unctious, insipid and doesn’t recommend her adopted home as a place anyone with grown-up taste would enjoy.
      of course she is an extreme bitch on top of all that. she got outed and decided it was ok to out others because of course its not obnoxious and petty when she does it. she is a complete piece of shit any way you divy up her attributes and attitudes.

• Virginia
        April 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I’m sorry. I have to ask this. Who did I out?

And I wasn’t outed. I outed myself.

• MattDC
          April 13, 2013 10:42 am

Ginny — Come on ‘fess up. You turned this guy down for a date in 1996 and he’s still pissed.

Also, if Red Pen Mama is a “rejoinderer”, does that make you a “rejoindererer”?

• Slumpbuster Douglass
            April 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Its not important if we can at least agree that the only candidate Peduto was a better option than was Ravenstahl. With Ravenstahl out, there is no reason to give a shit about Peduto. He is in 5th place in a 4 person race. Agreed?

10. Monty
    April 12, 2013 5:40 pm

If the pharmacist happened to be wearing a Blitzburgh halter top, these comments would implode the world wide web.

11. MattDC
    April 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Much as I hate conceding to age, I guess this will be an “old-guy rant”:

1. All pharmacies suck. Believe me. No further comment necessary.

5. I would love to join in the praise for Penn Avenue Fish. I really would. But she looks too much like my daughter. And her friends. You’ll all understand that some day.

10. Light of Life Rescue Mission should shame all of you oldsters into contributing actual metal forks. You know you’ve all been hoarding them since 1995, in the ridiculous hope that your children would some day move out and establish their own households. Give up, you idiots! It’s not going to happen!

13. RANDY — I can at least brag that I was present in Baltimore at Game 7 in 1979. Now, I’m just waiting to see what the afterlife has in store, ’cause this life ain’t gonna repeat that.

• bucdaddy
      April 13, 2013 2:14 am

I was at Game 4 in ’71. First night game in Series history. EVAR.

Bruce Kison. IIRC Milt May.

• Butcher's Dog
        April 13, 2013 10:56 am

Bruce and Milt indeed, ‘daddy. Good stuff, although I had a grandmother and aunt who were at Game 7 in 1960. I listened to the end on the radio over school intercom as an 8th grader. Only things keeping that from being the peak and “all downhill from there” were two more Series wins, six Super Bowls, three Stanley Cups, one marriage barreling toward 40 years, and a son.

Hope that didn’t scare away too many potential Pittsburgers, Slumpbuster.

• MattDC
          April 13, 2013 11:34 am

But you guys are “unctious” (whatever that means) and “insipid” and have no “grown-up tastes” anyway.

My favorite bit of sports memorabilia is a plaid sports coat that reminds me of the Gunner, and was willed to me by a long-time client who wore it to Game 7 in 1960. The right side pocket is ripped wide open where it caught on the arm rest as he jumped up for Maz’s home run. That will never be verifiable, but it’s a great story, and he knew that no one but me would have any interest in a faded sport coat with a ripped pocket. So I framed it to hang in my office.

• MattDC
        April 13, 2013 11:16 am

I didn’t remember May’s hit, but it’s hard to forget that skinny underhand-whipping Kison raising the Pirates from the dead. It made me forget about my draft lottery number for a night.

12. facie
    April 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Can you pretty please close the comments to that previous post? There are 66, and I think that is a sign. :-)

April 13, 2013 11:35 am

I generally think Twitter is idiotic and don’t follow anyone, because my life is mundane and boring enough as it is, but … some of those are pretty damn funny. Thanks for sharing.

April 13, 2013 11:51 am

And as for Peduto’s ad: Politicians keep trotting their ancestors out there in their ads for themselves, which makes for the warm fuzzies or something for voters, but really: What does anything your grandfather or your father or your mother or your wife or your children ever did have to do with YOUR ability to get things done, to persuade others to see your POV, to compromise, to work together to solve problems … ? I might rather have some nasty bastard in there who knows how to accomplish what needs to be done by whatever means necessary than some nice but ineffective family guy. Sometimes — maybe most times — the guy in charge needs to be a real son of a bitch, and make the tough decisions in a cold and calculating manner. When you need to lay people off, when you need to whack budgets …

I’ve developed a notion just from years of observing that the higher up the political ladder people hope to climb, the more it helps to be a socio- or psychopath. Think of the things you have to be willing to do if you’re president (or want to be), up to and including dropping a nuclear warhead and vaporizing a city of 100,000 human beings. Obama must have thought about it. He’s already dropping extrajudicial Hellfires on suspected terrorists and any stray civilians who happen to get in the way, with impunity and little display of conscience.

I’m not suggesting the mayor of Pittsburgh should ever have to be prepared to rain Hellfire missiles on Harrisburg, as good an idea as that might seem to some of you, but the next step up from mayor might be the state house or governor, and from there to Congress, and next thing you know … It’s a step along the path, is what I’m saying, and at a certain point it’ll help to be stone crazy to get any higher. If he ISN’T at least a little crazy now, he won’t be a very good mayor.