Random n’at

genresrun

1. It’s all fun and games until the tarantula food escapes.

That’s going on my gravestone.

2. So remember that topless protest I wrote about, in which I told you there are perfectly good reasons to keep boobies covered up? Well, the protest took place over the weekend.

Here’s the AP’s take:

Pittsburgh topless rally winds up anything but

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A Pittsburgh rally planned by a group hoping to Celebrate Women’s Equality Day by having women march topless alongside men in bikinis turned out to be anything but.

Fewer than a dozen protesters showed up Sunday, and none of the women bared their tops — though a handful of men did.

So WTAE’s headline?

Topless protestors take over Pittsburgh   Allegheny Co. News   WTAE Home

PUNCH ALL THE MEDIA THINGS.

For future reference, WTAE, when a throng of thousands of angry people overrun downtown like biblical locusts to the point traffic is clogged, businesses are plundered and looted, and chaos runs rampant, that’s when you pull out your “take over Pittsburgh” headline.

Not for eight covered boobies walking slowly to the Point.

Sheesh.

The next time Occupy Pittsburgh does their thing, I fully expect the WTAE headline to read, “Armageddon nigh. World all but over.”

3. An ex-pat Burgher wrote for ChicagoNow.com the six things she misses most about Pittsburgh, then followed it up with “Six real reasons not to move to Pittsburgh” and it was the most goat-getting thing I’ve read about the Burgh in a while. So I wrote about it for my Pittsburgh Magazine blog:

3. Lack of plentiful public transportation has resulted in a culture of drunk driving in Pittsburgh.
Rebuttal: My goat is dead.

Yes, public transportation needs to be fixed. It’s a black eye. But this is a terrible accusation, one that I can refute with facts.

Go read the facts I found, and see all the amazing goat gifs!

4. I also wrote about the crazies at FoxNews who called Mister Rogers “an evil, evil man.”

Snippet:

Kids grow up knowing they’re low on the totem pole. Choices are limited. Freedom to just be is tempered by cultural restraints. They’re placed in boxes: “You are a girl. You will like pink, purple and these three aisles in Target. You will get the ‘girl toy’ at the drive-thru. Get in this box that I have bedazzled for you; it’s filled with Barbie dolls and Hello Kitty press-on nails. And you are a boy. You will like sports, NERF guns and armpit farts. Here is a box of dirt and worms. I buried some Matchbox cars and G.I. Joes in there. Hop in.”

But what about the girl who wants to play with dirt instead of Barbies? Or the boy who wants to play the violin instead of third base? They’re special, too, and that’s what Mister Rogers was telling us as children. He was saying, “Screw the box!” Jump out of its cookie-cutter confines and run free to whatever your heart loves because doing that is what will make you special — embracing and accepting you.

Have a read here.

5. Jamie and Ali McMutrie’s Haitian Families First is at it again with a new year of #46in46 where they try to get 46 of their Haitian kids funded for school this year.

Reminder: In Haiti, kids don’t HAVE to go to school; they GET to go to school. It’s a privilege for those who can afford it and Jamie and Ali are working to make sure their kids can afford it.

Last year I sponsored this angel Ylionise, and it was extra meaningful to me because Jamie and Ali worked so hard to bring her to the US for life-saving heart surgery. Now she’s healthy and back in Haiti getting an education thanks to them.

Ylionise-2

You can read about the campaign and donate here!

Get a group of your friends together and adopt one of their kids’ educations!

6. The staff and residents at Asbury Heights nursing home, who probably have pretty clear memories of Roberto’s career, show their Bucco spirit (click for embiggen):

asburgy

That photo was shared on their Twitter account and I love it.

(h/t @jonathanebel)

7. Genre’s Kids with Cancer run/walk is happening next month, a whole block from my house. I’ll be there … not running. BUT I’LL BE THERE AND THAT’S WHAT COUNTS.

Register here.

8. Also, why not run the Mario Lemieux Foundation 6.6K run/family walk in this its inaugural year. I mean, if you’re a loony who loves to run, why not run for sick kids?

Can you tell I quit that whole running business? Because, you guys, I hate running.

Back to low-carb diet/Jillian Michaels/praying for wasting disease for me.

9. David Conrad. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The S stands for Squeee.

10. Soup to Nutz’s annual tribute cartoon strip for Roberto Clemente’s birthday.

(h/t Bill)

11. Finally, I shared this on Twitter, but it really needs to be seen.

On a scale of 1 to Roid-Raging Mike Tyson, how punchy does this sign make you?

partysign

frustrated

1. Kristin
    August 26, 2013 11:17 am

that sign. it makes me want to cry. And punch myself in the eye.

2. Sue
    August 26, 2013 11:46 am

I have cringed at that sign all. summer. long.

3. jann
    August 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Someone take away their apostrophe permit!!

4. bluzdude
    August 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Apostrophegheddon!

5. PicaU
    August 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Typical WTAE. EVERYTHING is taken to the nth degree. They would have no idea what to do if real news took place.

• bucdaddy
      August 27, 2013 10:44 am

Well, what do you expect when they make every Stillers loss the End of the World and every Stillers win the Greatest Show on Earth? A trait they of course share with KD and PX.

Ridic.

“Back to low-carb diet/Jillian Michaels/praying for wasting disease for me.”

HAH! I pull that line out every once in awhile. IIRC that’s from Dennis Miller, and it went like this:

” ‘Lose weight without diet or exercise!’ Well, that pretty much leaves wasting disease.”

11. How could they get the “summer’s” part right and eff up the rest so badly?

Y’know, instead of bitching about it, there’s nothing wrong there that a good Burgher with a ladder couldn’t fix one night

• Sam's Dog
      August 28, 2013 9:03 am

Agreed. Wendy Bell reported on a fire in Coraopolis that “left three businesses totally unrecognizable.” Ahh, no, they are still quite recognizable, you can still read the signs on the buildings.

6. red pen mama
    August 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Number 11 made my head explode. So thanks for that.

7. Butcher's Dog
    August 27, 2013 6:51 am

The sign is precisely why we’ll always need English teachers. Just sayin’.

8. Kevin Fogarty
    August 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Sad part about the sign is the person who put it up is probably doing that job because they are the best speller they employ”"”"”"”"”"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Suzie-Q
    August 27, 2013 10:28 pm

I think the sign had an apostrophe catastrophe

10. gunnlino
    August 28, 2013 12:50 pm

A Pgh Public School , mouth breathing high school drop out no doubt . I have no idea where this is but I telephoned and spoke to someone about it ( the mouth breather I suspect ) and was told to Eff Off .

• PA Girl in VA
      August 30, 2013 11:38 am

Were you really? Actually, you were probably told to Eff’f Off’f. I’d ask to speak to the manager/owner and explain to them how much negative publicity this sign is causing their business – oftentimes that does the trick.

11. Pingback: No snickering, please | Internet Scofflaw

12. Cathy
    September 1, 2013 3:47 pm

Ginny,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com I’m down about 21# and my mom is down 24#. It is so easy!!!

13. MattDC
    September 1, 2013 7:27 pm

#6 — “. . .who probably have pretty clear momories of Roberto’s career”? I have pretty clear memories of that. Even Bucdaddy probably has pretty clear memories of Frank Thomas’ career. Some of the fine folks at the Asbury Heights home look like they might have clear memories of Paul Waner’s career.

• bucdaddy
      September 3, 2013 12:15 am

Ah yes, Frank Thomas. “The Big Hurt.” GREAT player for the White Sox. Should be in the Hall of …

Oh, wait, you mean that OTHER Frank Thomas. Ehhh … him, I don’t remember so much. My fandom dates only to about 1966.

• MattDC
        September 3, 2013 10:35 am

I stand corrected. I guess I’m older than I think. Well I have to go now, since these nice young men have promised to get me back in time for bingo.

Switch to our mobile site