Tomlin-speak when winning versus Tomlin-speak when losing.

Mike Tomlin said:

“I just told the guys we’re not going to provide lip service; we’re going to practice how we intend to play.”

Me, if we’re winning (all gifs from Reddits Reaction Gifs):

pumped

Losing:

whatever

Mike Tomlin said:

“I feel comfortable with them men we’ll walk into battle with next week.”

Me, if we’re winning:

battle

Losing:

bored1

Mike Tomlin said:

Most importantly is the standard of expectation of what we expect from them in everything that we do.

Me, if we’re winning:

colbertdancing

Losing:

balloons

Mike Tomlin said:

“Tomorrow is a new day. We’ll make the best decisions for us, globally speaking.”

Me, if we’re winning:

winning

Losing:

losing

The end.

1. Paul
    September 17, 2013 10:59 am

They just don’t have the talent this year. They lost too many guys and didn’t make enough of an effort to replace them.

Also, Rothlisberger running for his life the entire game is not a good thing.

• Mike
      September 17, 2013 11:04 am

Paul,

You could at least spell the guys name right. After all, he’s been a Steeler since ’04.

• Paul
        September 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Are you his dad? Jeez.

I guess I should have looked up the correct spelling, but I was being lazy, to be honest. Not as lazy as every body that just calls him “Ben” to avoid spelling/pronouncing it correctly.

I stand by what I say, though. This team doesn’t have the talent, and they need to protect Rothlessburger

2. Jennifer
    September 17, 2013 11:11 am

That last one was by far my favorite!

September 17, 2013 11:42 am

“globally speaking”?

I know pro athletes and coaches generally have a hugely inflated sense of their own value, but … where does THAT come from?

4. Johnk
    September 17, 2013 1:03 pm

As predicted last week…L O S S! Who’s next? Da Bears?

5. steelertom
    September 17, 2013 1:47 pm

week 3 coming up and we’re playin’ for draft picks already??

6. Ginny's Dad
    September 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Talk about an understatement! Sounds more like Ernest Hemingway than an NFL coach.

“We have work to do,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “We aren’t going to hide from that fact. We are going to embrace it and accept it, and understand that there is some misery that comes from the position we are in right now.”

Following are a couple quotes from Vince Lombardi that would have been more appropriate from Tomlin.

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”

“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

• bucdaddy
      September 18, 2013 11:38 am

“we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand”

“Always do your best/try your hardest/give it your all” is one of the biggest lies we tell our children. Far better, I told my daughter once she was old enough to grasp what I was talking about, to learn to prioritize. Example: You major in music, and you have a big recital coming up. You also have a Geology 101 exam in a class that has nothing whatsoever to do with what you plan to do with you life but it’s a required course. Should you do everything you can to do your very very best on the Geology exam, take time away that you could be spending rehearsing and practicing for your recital? Only if you’re an idiot.

This doesn’t really apply to Tomlin, who I like, or the Steelers, who sure seem to suck. It’s just a pet peeve.

*dismounts soap box*

• Joe
      September 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Ginnys Dad.
      All I can say is you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!