(Jim Lokay, formerly of KDKA, singing his heart out. All photos from last year’s event by Jonathan Wander)
I can honestly say that in 2012, the most fun event I attended was the inaugural Haitian Families First Live Rock n’ Roll Karaoke party at Shadow Lounge.
I stayed out until 2:30 a.m. Me. The girl who when she looks at the clock and it reads 1:00 a.m. says, “WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?! DID THE BUS DROP ME OFF IN CRAZYTOWN?! WHERE IS MY BED?!?!”
I can’t sing. You know this about me. But there is something so damn fun about watching people who CAN sing get up on stage with a live band to belt their hearts out.
It was just the best time of music and drinking and conversation and camaraderie and I’m beyond excited for this year’s event which will be bigger and better and at The Rex:
It will feature your host for the evening, the one and only Randy Baumann of the ‘DVE Morning Show, seen here on the right in his appearance on TBS’ “Sullivan and Son”:
(“Oh, no. I promised my kid a car!” Still funny.)
In addition to regular folks getting up there to sing live with the band to a tune from a list of 100 songs, you’ll be voting for one of three celebrity contestants to sing on stage!
They are … last year’s winners/losers Mikey and Big Bob from the Kiss Morning Freakshow:
Her Royal Highness Sally Wiggin of WTAE who I think should sing “Wrecking Ball”:
And future mayor Bill Peduto:
That’s not all!
- Just by attending, you are entered into a giveaway of an epic collection of local restaurant gift cards.
- Raffle tickets will be for sale for a pair of tickets to the November 18 Penguins home game vs. the Anaheim Ducks
- Additionally, you’ll have the chance to purchase Haitian Love Beads and get your picture taken in the HFF photo booth.
- Prize package from our friends at The Scarehouse will be awarded for best costume.
All proceeds benefit Jamie and Ali McMutrie’s Haitian Families First.
To enter to win two free tickets to the event, simply leave a comment before Wednesday, October 16 at 5:00 p.m. at which time Random.org will pick the winner. So you have something to say, tell me one of two things, or be a rebel and tell me BOTH things:
- What should my costume be? Preferably something that requires brunette hair, and that isn’t one of those ridiculous “sexy” outfits like “sexy porcupine.” Last year I went as Slash. Don’t say, “Sexy Slash.”
- What’s the spookiest/unexplained thing that’s ever happened to you? I love reading stories like that because I don’t really have any to tell.
Or just leave a generic comment and you’re entered to win.
If you don’t win or if you plan to go no matter what and want to reserve your spot to sing as it’s first come first served, you can get all the details right here.
See you there!
I WON’T be the sexy enchilada.