Wendy Bell is not going to Make It.

I haven’t been this pissed off since Luke Ravenstahl spent a quarter of a million dollars on 250 trash cans with his name on them.

Wendy Bell has started a new Facebook page after her recent firing from WTAE and the subsequent removal of her WTAE-branded Facebook page. Her new Facebook page, in which she lets us know she hasn’t slept for a week because she is some kind of supernatural vampire being who doesn’t need sleep to stay alive, was announced by Ms. Bell herself on Twitter two days ago, but it just started getting shared today:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 2.20.21 PM

Blink.

Blink.

Blinkblink.

Blinkblinkblink.

BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Hashtag Pittsburgh Strong are you kidding me right now Wendy Bell I cant even use punctuation or anything because Im so dumbfounded and stunned and I swear Im going to do it I am going to flip a table so hard.

#bostonstrong … after the Boston Marathon terrorist bombings took lives.

#FRstrong … after the stabbings at Franklin Regional High School.

#PittsburghStrong … after WENDY BELL GETS FIRED FOR WRITING UNDERHANDEDLY RACIST CRAP ON A WTAE-BRANDED FACEBOOK PAGE BUT IT IS OKAY BECAUSE SHE STARTED A NEW ONE?!

No. No. No.

You do not come back from a crushing wave of criticism in which huge swaths of people informed you of how self-centered you sounded, how out-of-touch you seemed, how you managed to make EVERYTHING ALL ABOUT YOU … and usurp THAT hashtag for yourself because you’ve gone and started a new FACEBOOK.

In doing so, you have fulfilled the prophecy. You have now become the thing they accused you of being. You are now the Queen of Self-Centered. You are now the High Priestess of Out of Touch. You are now the DREAD DARTH DOOM OF ALL ABOUT ME.

PittsburghStrong is the three hero cops who were brutally murdered in the line of duty on this day seven years ago.

PittsburghStrong is Pitt’s James Conner throwing out the first pitch in the midst of his cancer battle yesterday.

PittsburghStrong was John Challis.

PittsburghStrong was Adam Frey.

PittsburghStrong is Genre Baker.

PittsburghStrong are Jamie and Ali McMutrie and their DECADE-long devotion to Haitian children.

Google them, Wendy. They are PittsburghStrong.

PittsburghStrong is not you. It is not “I got fired for writing a kinda racist thing, but I started a new Facebook and I’m rising from the ashes of the fire I set to my own career like a fucking majestic Phoenix, so give me a follow, you unthinking puppets. #PittsburghStrong!”

Until you realize why what you wrote was wrong, and until you realize why how you dealt with what you wrote was wrong, and until you realize how you seemingly still do not understand why what you wrote and how you dealt with it was wrong, and until you stop making everything all about you, and until you realize your OWN fault in causing every sleep-depriving “woe is me” thing you’ve tacked to the cross you think you bear … you have no hope of ever being #PittsburghStrong.

PittGirl out.

1. Shona
    April 5, 2016 2:38 am

Very well written….I co-sign completely!

2. Yinzer in Blacksburg
    April 5, 2016 9:11 am

For whom does Wendy Bell toll? She tolls for she.

I couldn’t sleep either Wendy–because I was so pissed off by your post. So many things wrong with it, but perhaps the greatest being how it generated a groundswell of adulation–thereby further polarizing any hope of a Pittsburgh dialogue around race.

• Richard R Aten
      April 6, 2016 9:00 pm

Let me get My Violin out and play a tune for ya ! If it isn’t this its that ,, I’m so sick and tired of hearing about this Race BULLSHIT ,, the poor me syndrome , You work , you earn a living , you go to school , you Serve in the Armed Service , You work for what you want .. Theres NO entltlement in MY WORLD , if I don’t work I don’t eat or pay my bills , Rain Snow Shit or Shine ,, Cancer 3 Times here Radiation for 9 Week then again for 16 Weeks I MISSED NO WORK ! Ya don’t think I wasn’t sick and really tired ,, I’ve been on MY OWN since I was 14 ! Worked with a Paper Route and Washing Dishes and Paid for a ONE ROOM until I was 17 and could join the Service and WORKED for 32 YEARS to get what I have and STILL WORK 6 DAYS A WEEK 12 to 15 HOURS a DAY ! ” Race ” there is NO such thing in my world ,, You want a haircut and got the 10 Bucks you get a haircut , if I know your trying and down on your luck I”LL GIVE ANYONE A CHANCE !! Just don’t tell me how bad you have it because of your RACE ! Come check out my Shop and see how many different Races I have come in here ! Good Day !

3. alyssa
    April 5, 2016 10:15 am

it’s amazing that WTAE actually took swift action and fired Wendy. it’s a good precedent to set and demonstrate that racism will not be tolerated, at least publicly (if you want to remain employed). firing her doesn’t solve everything, but it’s a step in the right direction, especially given her new Facebook page that exemplifies her obliviousness to her own wrongdoing. hopefully WTAE replaces her with someone who truly cares about Pittsburgh and its people, not just the white ones and the ones who are going to “Make it”. PittGirl, you said it best. i completely agree with you.

4. mark howell
    April 5, 2016 10:20 am

disagree everybody needs to drop the race card and quit being so dam sensitive I am behind her all the way!

• Gave Athouse
      April 5, 2016 3:57 pm

What race card you moron?

• Michel Bullard
      April 5, 2016 10:49 pm

Of course you disagree. You weren’t anyone that she offended and you lack the ability to understand how totally ignorant she is. The fact that she made numerous generalizations and incorrect assumptions and then posted on her employers page in violation of their code of ethics and her responsibility as an unbiased reporter. Other than that it was fine. Race card? I hate to tell you race and those who disregard it so blatantly can not be diminish by calling it a card. You’re as small minded as she is, SMH

5. Jenn
    April 5, 2016 11:30 am

Well stated. Thank you!

6. One Tired Burgh Chick
    April 5, 2016 11:56 am

Please, for the love of Christmas, LET THIS DIE.

Need I remind you, too, that what Wendy posted that you are losing your shit about is on her own PERSONAL FB page. Not an employer’s page. So she can post whatever she damn pleases, just like you can post whatever you damn please here.

Didn’t you lose a job over something YOU posted? Granted, your post and Wendy’s may be apples and oranges as far as content, but still… You’ve been there. So you might want to take it easy when you dismount that horse. That first step could be a doozy.

• Niki
      April 5, 2016 5:49 pm

It was actually on her work page. Personal through work page. Despite your belief on whether or not what she said was racist or not, she was fired for breach of contract and posting a personal opinion on her company sponsored page.

• mmp
        April 5, 2016 6:58 pm

Her company sponsored page was ALL personal opinion. It’s what they encourage anchors to do to–connect one on one. She just showed poor judgment in what she shared. I, too, immediately thought of what happened to PittGirl when she was exposed for trash talking the very people who supported her workplace. Different subject matter, similar result.

• One Tired Burgh Chick
        April 6, 2016 9:40 am

No, Niki. The ORIGINAL POST was on Wendy’s work page, yes. That was not what I was referring to. The FB page I am talking about here — the one Ginny has gone all over the edge about — is the page that has the #Pittsburghstrong comment. That is on Wendy’s new, personal FB page. But thank you for playing!

• Katy
          April 6, 2016 4:13 pm

No, you’re actually incorrect. The article refers to the ORIGINAL post on the work page and the new Facebook. Read it again. THANKS FOR PLAYING! Moron.

• One REALLY DAMN TIRED Burgh Chick
            April 7, 2016 10:57 am

Ummm… Are we all reading the same Ginny post? Because the post above is all about Wendy using the #pittsburghstrong hashtag on the post from her new-and-improved Facebook page and how, as a result, Ginny has her gutchies in a serious bunch over the use of said hashtag on the NEW, PERSONAL FB page. Any reference to the ORIGINAL post on the work page is minor and inconsequential. One Tired Burgh Chick had it right. You folks suck at reading comprehension.

7. Barbara
    April 5, 2016 12:32 pm

With all due respect….put #pittsburghstrong in the search bar and watch how many people/groups/companies come up that proudly use the very same hashtag that Wendy Bell is getting bashed for. Pitt cheerleaders, for example, used it….a concert venue used it back in February, etc. I don’t know her but suspect Wendy Bell feels the same way about #pittsburghstrong that many of us do. I LOVE my city and the strength it gives me. No matter what happens to me I will stay here. Just another way to look at it.

8. KathrynK
    April 5, 2016 12:39 pm

I agree “One Tired Burgh Chick”!!! How quickly Pittgirl forgot, huh?? And..does anyone REALLY think Wendy Bell is comparing her situation to fallen heroes (police/fireman or Franklin Regional survivors)…just because she used a certain hashtag???!!! Ease up Pittgirl….Stop already.

9. Jim Mooney
    April 5, 2016 2:01 pm

Wrong Wrong Wrong PITT girl !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because you were offended ….. doesn’t mean you’re right. I’ve read her post several times. I was never offended each time I read it. Gotta be a hater I guess. Or maybe its ……. 15 minutes …… and 1 second. I think it’s both.

10. Jeff
    April 5, 2016 2:08 pm

It would be have been interesting to see the reaction if an African-American reporter had said the same thing. It has happened in the past and no one batted an eye.

11. Jeff
    April 5, 2016 2:09 pm

It would be have been interesting to see the reaction if an African-American reporter had said the same things she did on air. It has happened in the past and no one batted an eye.

12. Tim
    April 5, 2016 3:04 pm

#PittsburghWrong

13. Wormer
    April 5, 2016 3:20 pm

I think Virginia has too much time on her hands as do her trolls who speak up but continue to do nothing to solve the core issues Wendy addressed. Was Wendy wrong? Probably. But you can tweet and post nonsense all day and it fails to address any issues.

14. Emil
    April 5, 2016 3:34 pm

Mrs.Wendy Bell does have to slowww down a bit,don’t make a show of this whole ordeal. Asking for the backing of Pittsburgh just seems a lil beneath someone I thought was more intelligent than that. I am Black and I thought the comments she made were just wrong,inappropriate and ignorant but racist was just not my personal opinion. Mrs.Bell just keeps talking herself into issues…she needs to just read the teleprompter!

15. MTB
    April 5, 2016 3:59 pm

Waiting for you to post about all the #pittsburghstrong selfies and other BS littering the net. Seems like you’re pouncing again for more attention to your blog rather than letting a dead horse stay dead and not be beaten. Google the hashtag before you call out 1 single user of it and see the way it is wantonly through around. Until you call every one of them out you only make yourself look like an attention seeking missile attacking someone already fired for a questionable social media post. My guess is you wont call the others out because it wont generate traffic on your site which what you’re really trying to achieve.

16. MTB
    April 5, 2016 3:59 pm

Waiting for you to post about all the #pittsburghstrong selfies and other BS littering the net. Seems like you’re pouncing again for more attention to your blog rather than letting a dead horse stay dead and not be beaten. Google the hashtag before you call out 1 single user of it and see the way it is wantonly through around. Until you call every one of them out you only make yourself look like an attention seeking missile attacking someone already fired for a questionable social media post. My guess is you wont call the others out because it wont generate traffic on your site which is what you’re really trying to achieve.

17. Ray
    April 5, 2016 5:22 pm

@ Jeff: What African American anchor made derogatory comments in Pittsburgh on a company Facebook page? Funny the people that think “people are too sensitive about race” are usually white. Western Pennsylvania is one of the most racist areas in the country! Don’t believe me read the racially charged cow dung the Post gazette writes.

18. Pingback: A newscaster faces criticism for using #PittsburghStrong after she was fired for her Facebook rant about race

19. John
    April 5, 2016 8:12 pm

I can’t believe she would make such mistakes over and over again and again! She has destroyed herself!

20. B. Readd
    April 5, 2016 9:05 pm

Ok, so let’s see if what I have been told is right. Am I allowed to state my opinion here without getting attacked or not. Although I don’t know Wendy Bell personally, I have watched her since day one. Her #pittsburghstrong is not just her hashtag. It has been a part of Pittsburgh for quite awhile now. She is not using it to disparage anyone or thing. She is using it because she believes in the strong unity of Pittsburgh, period. I am so tired of political correctness being a way of life. Social media has completely taken over lives and ruined many of them. No matter what anyone posts, someone is going to read an underlying message that conforms to what they believe it to mean and not the real meaning. It’s time to let this go and everyone just live their own lives and not so much worrying about others.

21. Mike
    April 5, 2016 11:45 pm

Today I ate some Mineo’s pizza. Burned the roof of my mouth. Doctors said I almost didn’t make it.

#PittsburghStrong

22. SteelCityMagnolia
    April 6, 2016 7:16 am

Usually, Ginny, I am right there with you, but not this time. Have you searched #Pittsburghstrong? You should. It brings up all manner of things NOT related to sick kids or fallen police officers. Try hair salons. Paleo protein bars. Some chick showing her workout pics. A bottle of Clemente Cabernet. Yet you didn’t choose to call any of them to the carpet for sullying the sacred hashtag.

Point is, Ginny, you can’t pick and choose what offends you. If Wendy Bell’s use of the #Pittsburghstrong hashtag offends you, then every single other use that doesn’t relate to a sick child or a tragedy ought to offend you just as much and deserves your equal wrath. But since it doesn’t, I think you’re just using this as an excuse to keep the Hate On Wendy train rolling. And sadly, that is more of a reflection on YOU than it is on Wendy.

Just as she said in her original post, if you can’t say anything nice……

23. STFU
    April 6, 2016 1:15 pm

How grand would it be if we never saw a word typed by Virginia Montanez and/or Wendy Bell again?

24. Lois Cusick
    April 6, 2016 1:33 pm

What really disturbed me here is how everyone else gets to define racism and who Is a racist. In my opinion, people of all races do and say racist things. Our American history shaped our racism to different degrees and I don’t believe there is a person out there who never feels or says something “racist”. Fortunately we are growing in the right direction: some faster than others, maybe because of life experiences. My position with Wendy Bell is: She doesn’t have to pay an unduly harsh punishment because she made a racist statement! I believe her comments came from a place of outrage over the loss of life. (Black lives). If she were such a racist, why would she care enough to be angry at the killers…She obviously cares….Why should Wendy be attacked for making a mistake when there are many more people out there who don’t care enough to speak up. Don’t project all your anger onto Wendy Bell because racism exists. I don’t think she should have been fired.

25. David gibson
    April 6, 2016 9:16 pm

You sure are willing to kick her in the teeth,I will never give a shit about black on black murder,since blacks don’t want our simpathy nor seem too upset about thug life.stew in your own juices buffoons.

26. Jd k
    April 7, 2016 12:01 pm

Talk about having everything wrong. I’m pretty sure she has gotten WAY more support than criticism of her original FB post. Going off on a bender over such a stupid item as a hashtag on another post does way more to denigrate you, Virginia, than Wendy.

27. KH
    April 7, 2016 1:57 pm

Some of you are missing the point when you go off on the hashtag thing. It is not simply about the hashtag #PittsburghStrong, but how it fits in the context of the whole Bell debacle. It is about who used it, when they used it and why. It is the peg upon which the premise is hung; that Wendy Bell is hopelessly removed from the reality that confronts her and, sadly, she persists in providing affirmation of that assertion.

28. LorS
    April 8, 2016 12:57 am

Oh please. Not a thing wrong with it. Pittsburgh is strong no reason to make something out of nothing because now you look like a bully that is picking on her every word. Get a life! I would much rather have Wendy Bell sitting at my dinner table than someone who was going to pick apart my words and try to say they meant something other than their actual definition.

29. LucianF
    April 8, 2016 8:21 am

If by “racist” you mean “totally 100% accurate.” The truth hurts. Perhaps if black people weren’t so totally fucked up, white people wouldn’t be so hurtful when they express truthful observations.

30. Barbara
    April 13, 2016 12:32 am

PITTGIRL,WELL SAID SWEETHEART! and to all thé
    UMBASS people like SELF CENTERED,SELF ABSORBED,
    WEDNY DUMBBELL listen up.Don’t get mad at pittgirl because ur too stupid
    to UNDERSTAND what WB said,that was NOT,I repeat NOT
    WB FIRST WARNING,google her RACIAL REMARK ON AIR REGARDING
    ANDREW STOCKEY IN 2010! THIS BITCH IS À SERIAL RACIST!
    in thé words of DONALD TRUMP,Wendy…..YOUR FIRED!

31. Barbara Tee
    April 13, 2016 1:16 am

LUCIANF,YOUR COMMENT EXPLAINS WHY YOUR MOTHER IS YOUR COUSIN!

32. Barbara Tee
    April 13, 2016 1:19 am

LUCIANF,YOUR COMMENT EXPLAINS WHY YOUR MOTHER IS YOUR COUSIN!
    LUCIAN? WHAT À DUMB NAME,FOR A STUPID IDIOT.

33. BARBARA T