Wendy Bell is not going to Make It.

I haven’t been this pissed off since Luke Ravenstahl spent a quarter of a million dollars on 250 trash cans with his name on them.

Wendy Bell has started a new Facebook page after her recent firing from WTAE and the subsequent removal of her WTAE-branded Facebook page. Her new Facebook page, in which she lets us know she hasn’t slept for a week because she is some kind of supernatural vampire being who doesn’t need sleep to stay alive, was announced by Ms. Bell herself on Twitter two days ago, but it just started getting shared today:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 2.20.21 PM

Blink.

Blink.

Blinkblink.

Blinkblinkblink.

BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Hashtag Pittsburgh Strong are you kidding me right now Wendy Bell I cant even use punctuation or anything because Im so dumbfounded and stunned and I swear Im going to do it I am going to flip a table so hard.

#bostonstrong … after the Boston Marathon terrorist bombings took lives.

#FRstrong … after the stabbings at Franklin Regional High School.

#PittsburghStrong … after WENDY BELL GETS FIRED FOR WRITING UNDERHANDEDLY RACIST CRAP ON A WTAE-BRANDED FACEBOOK PAGE BUT IT IS OKAY BECAUSE SHE STARTED A NEW ONE?!

No. No. No.

You do not come back from a crushing wave of criticism in which huge swaths of people informed you of how self-centered you sounded, how out-of-touch you seemed, how you managed to make EVERYTHING ALL ABOUT YOU … and usurp THAT hashtag for yourself because you’ve gone and started a new FACEBOOK.

In doing so, you have fulfilled the prophecy. You have now become the thing they accused you of being. You are now the Queen of Self-Centered. You are now the High Priestess of Out of Touch. You are now the DREAD DARTH DOOM OF ALL ABOUT ME.

PittsburghStrong is the three hero cops who were brutally murdered in the line of duty on this day seven years ago.

PittsburghStrong is Pitt’s James Conner throwing out the first pitch in the midst of his cancer battle yesterday.

PittsburghStrong was John Challis.

PittsburghStrong was Adam Frey.

PittsburghStrong is Genre Baker.

PittsburghStrong are Jamie and Ali McMutrie and their DECADE-long devotion to Haitian children.

Google them, Wendy. They are PittsburghStrong.

PittsburghStrong is not you. It is not “I got fired for writing a kinda racist thing, but I started a new Facebook and I’m rising from the ashes of the fire I set to my own career like a fucking majestic Phoenix, so give me a follow, you unthinking puppets. #PittsburghStrong!”

Until you realize why what you wrote was wrong, and until you realize why how you dealt with what you wrote was wrong, and until you realize how you seemingly still do not understand why what you wrote and how you dealt with it was wrong, and until you stop making everything all about you, and until you realize your OWN fault in causing every sleep-depriving “woe is me” thing you’ve tacked to the cross you think you bear … you have no hope of ever being #PittsburghStrong.

PittGirl out.

1. Marcy
    April 4, 2016 3:25 pm

Ginny, I couldn’t agree with you more. But Wendy has so many minions telling her she’s a truth-telling, first-amendment-winning, mother-of-fiving, person-of-God that she will never, ever reflect on a bit of this.

• Lynn
      April 4, 2016 5:48 pm

You people are all morons the woman spoke the truth I guess none of you know anything about the black communities so go back to your college brainwashing and leave the r
      real issues of the world to those of us who know what is going on in the world

• Bob
        April 4, 2016 6:17 pm

They also teach punctuation in college, Lynn.

• Rob
        April 4, 2016 6:18 pm

Okay..sooooo if all “black communities”are as she and yourself described then..all white communities have incest with each other and they all drink starbucks and cant dance..you sound stupid seriously.

• Guy
          April 5, 2016 1:22 am

The last 2 things are mostly true, so I’m not offended when I read them. What Wendy Bell said about poor black communities is also mostly true, so people should not be offended reading them. I bet if black people stopped killing themselves there would be alot less stereotypes about black people killing themselves

• Scottie
        April 4, 2016 6:36 pm

Uh oh, Scooby! (Lynn rips off her mask and it’s really Donald Trump)

• Becky
        April 4, 2016 11:25 pm

You’re an asshole. Probably a Trump supporter. You write like a five year old. Punctuation is part if the English language. Maybe YOU should attend an English class, you troglodyte.

• Jen
        April 4, 2016 11:50 pm

College brainwashing aka education?

2. David
    April 4, 2016 3:29 pm

Dear PittGirl,

You are killing it. And I hope you don’t let up on Bell. Surely, it’s partly schadenfreude on our part (print and other media) in seeing her apparent fall–yet her fans keep her propped up–but as you point out, she hasn’t learned her lesson

The opportunity for a legitimate dialogue on racism and self-awareness has been lost, but please do your part to keep hammering away at instances of her acute lack of self-awareness.

Cheers,

D

3. Mis
    April 4, 2016 3:30 pm

She is so classy her Christmas card is all of them giving the finger.

4. Christian
    April 4, 2016 3:33 pm

Yes, Ginny!!!

5. Lynn Haraldson
    April 4, 2016 3:36 pm

Yes…yes…and…YES. Sadly, she and her followers will never ever ever get it. They refuse to really stand outside themselves and look, REALLY look, at the other side and how it bangs up against their thought processes and reality. I appreciate this post, though, so very much.

6. Todd Williams
    April 4, 2016 3:43 pm

7. Todd Williams
    April 4, 2016 3:44 pm

Hey, this is like the second blog post of yours that I’ve stumbled across in less than a week. You’re on fire. Good stuff!

8. Betsy Brubaker
    April 4, 2016 3:48 pm

I don’t have much of an opinion about this whole matter. But the page where she posted how she hasn’t slept, etc. is her personal FB page that existed before she was removed from WTAE. She has every right to say what she wants on THAT. Just like WTAE had every right to fire her bc she made comments that didn’t represent WTAE on her FB that was linked to that news station.

9. Suzie-Q
    April 4, 2016 4:07 pm

Thank you Ginny….just thank you……..

10. Momalexander
    April 4, 2016 4:07 pm

If you really want dialogue why don’t you propose it in a productive an meaningful way. Some good can still come from this if everyone will get out of their corners, stop the hating and find some common ground. Wendy loves Pittsburgh as much as any of us and could be very helpful in the journey toward healing – so could you with your platform.

• Alleyne
      April 4, 2016 4:37 pm

Healing? Being an ignorant racist is not, in fact, an illness or an injury. It is an affirmative choice that she (and her many many supporters) has made, and continues to make every day that she decides to play the victim instead of listening, learning, and repenting for the harm she caused. Healing. Please.

• Momalexander
        April 4, 2016 4:48 pm

So I guess redemption isn’t an option and you’ve never been on the wrong side of wisdom. We should all just continue to expect the worst of each other and not hope for it to get better in our city. Awesome.

• Psychanthrope
          April 4, 2016 5:26 pm

It would be great to see some signs that she is getting better and moving away from “the wrong side of wisdom”. Her use of this hashtag, though (which is what the post is about) suggests that she’s continuing the exact same kind of self-aggrandizing melodrama.

• KH
            April 4, 2016 6:50 pm

Self-aggrandizing…what a perfect descriptor. It rolls somewhat clumsily from the tongue, but it is complete…perfect…laser-guided.

• go21bucs
      April 4, 2016 4:45 pm

actually, I feel pretty healed by reading this, ginny…..huzzah!

• Jane
      April 4, 2016 4:53 pm

Wholly agree. No one ever wants to have a dialogue anymore. All we do is yell at each other.

• Marlin
      April 4, 2016 11:25 pm

Considering it’s her blog, she can use any “platform” she wishes.
      Good day.

• Stephanie Connors
      April 4, 2016 11:28 pm

well said Momalexander!

11. rose
    April 4, 2016 4:07 pm

Spot on, Ginny. Thank you!

12. Beth S.
    April 4, 2016 4:09 pm

Brilliant! Best thing written about the whole dang thing. And the only thing written about it that I thought worth re-posting. Cheers.

13. Jackie piccini
    April 4, 2016 4:13 pm

Seriously, thank you! Spot on!

14. Pam C
    April 4, 2016 4:29 pm

Perfectly said. I cannot abide people who do not own their actions.

15. Cathy Coudriet
    April 4, 2016 4:38 pm

So Right – I have no more words.

16. Adriane Harrison
    April 4, 2016 4:47 pm

100% correct Ginny.

17. Rosco
    April 4, 2016 4:53 pm

I love you Pitt Girl!!! You are a devastating war machine!!! Keep Ringing “The Bell”

18. se
    April 4, 2016 4:55 pm

As someone who was within two blocks of the second Boston Marathon bomb and deep love for Pittsburgh, I don’t know how to explain the jarring emotional impact this has for me.

19. Me
    April 4, 2016 4:56 pm

That IS church!

20. Pingback: Here’s The Wendy Bell Post Everyone Asked Me About | Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents

21. Robbyn Snyder
    April 4, 2016 4:58 pm

Preach it, sister!

22. Tracie Magoc
    April 4, 2016 5:06 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for not leaving me out in the “I truly believe that Wendy Bell is a misogynistic racist” land all alone. She really seems to love her own opinion on every subject.

23. Cheyenne Byrd-Thomas
    April 4, 2016 5:14 pm

Brilliantly composed. Transcendent.

24. Peggie Kates
    April 4, 2016 5:19 pm

Oh wow , we could definitely be friends .. Her FB post reiterated just how clueless and self-absorbed she truly is .. Admittedly she was never a favorite of mine but today when I read about ‘Joe’s years’ and how she ‘can’t eat ‘, without an apology in sight … That was inexcusable !! Once again she managed to make it all about her … And when she wrote she felt like she could even ‘fly’ 😂😂 apparently she even takes her NAME too seriously !!! Good-bye and unlike her cult of fans I won’t shed a tear for the rightful dismissal of Ms. Bell .. Today cemented with mewhy you needed to go …

25. Pigeon Lives Matter
    April 4, 2016 5:19 pm

If only we got this fired up about the people who actually did the KILLING instead of being upset that a person who paid for her mistake, and paid for it by losing her job, started a FB page on her own and under the protection of the First Admendment.

• TD
      April 4, 2016 6:32 pm

First amendment is protection against retaliation from the US government for things a US citizen says. It’s nothing to do with what you say on Facebook about what you say about another person or a group of people who is not the government.

• Donna
        April 4, 2016 8:04 pm

The first amendment is freedom of speech. You can say what you want to people on Facebook. As a decent human people should be nice and respectful but you have the right to say what you want.

• KH
          April 4, 2016 8:34 pm

Yes, the Constitution guarantees us the right to be able to say what we want. It does not, however, grant anyone the right to do so on behalf of their employer, on a social media vehicle branded by their employer, or any privately-held or managed means of communication. In fact, it would be well within Virginia’s rights to remove your post entirely, although I do not believe she would do such a thing. Facebook maintains the right to remove any post you make or even to remove your account entirely if what you say is offensive to them or anyone else of consequence. The bottom line… Say whatever you like but don’t expect anyone to provide you the means to do so.

• Pat Jo
          April 4, 2016 9:10 pm

You don’t have first amendment rights on Facebook unless it was the government trying to ban you from that site. Facebook is a company and they can censor you anytime they want. Also first amendment doesn’t absolve you from public criticism, mockery, or loss of employment.

• endeavour morse
      April 4, 2016 10:07 pm

if you were actually a pigeon it would be fairly profound, calling yourself that

but you’re not a pigeon are you so you instead seem virulently racist and saddled with the same utter lack of perspective that cost your spiritual queen her gilded throne

• Dee Clark
      April 7, 2016 8:51 am

Pigeon – I totally agree with you .

26. karen Beck
    April 4, 2016 5:21 pm

I could not have said it better….there is not a single word, comment, written reaction in our girls posting here that I would change or alter. It’s like my reaction and feelings were channeled through you Pitt Girl!!! I think we need (multiple submissions) to send letters to the editor with our ‘Pittsburgh Strong’ remarks about Wendy Ding Dong who does not represent Pittsburghers in any way, shape or form. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

27. Pa-pop
    April 4, 2016 5:44 pm

Jed Bartlet to Wendy Bell: “You’re wrong!! Stand there in your wrongness and be wrong and get used to it!”

• Joseph Mayercheck
      April 4, 2016 6:19 pm

The truth of what Wendy said should be more important rather than how she said it. Name me a case where the community came forward to help police. This silence is what guarantees killings will not stop. Name me a case where the action groups helped police go after the drug dealers instead of complaining. You want these killings to stop, look within. I think Wendy said that. If you can’t stop the nasty rhetoric, at least pray for those that recognize where the problem really is and works to eliminate it.

• rob
        April 4, 2016 7:25 pm

The problem is the entire concept that the Black community is separate from the white community. Years of racial discrimination, segregation and racial stereotypes caused these problems. If white had the same types of oppression forces for generation I don’t think that white would trust the police to provide justice when they themselves have been the cause of injustice.

I know you will not get it. But I hope someone that is ambivalent will see how stupid and shallow your thought process is and actually learn from your mistakes.

28. Anthony DiTullio
    April 4, 2016 6:11 pm

WAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!

You’re who I wish I am when I rant!

Well said!

29. Joseph Mayercheck
    April 4, 2016 6:16 pm

The truth of what Wendy said should be more important of how she said it. Name me a case where the community came forward to help police. This silence is what guarantees killings will not stop. Name me a case where the action groups helped police go after the drug dealers instead of complaining. You want these killings to stop, look within. I think Wendy said that though. If you can’t stop the nasty rhetoric, at least pray for those that recognize where the problem really is and works to eliminate it.

• Burgster
      April 4, 2016 7:29 pm

Wendy’s wrongness” is how blind she is to normal society. C’mon a black busboy was never told he was special and she judged that guy solely on his blackness and his job? (Meanwhile, he was raised by a single FATHER who told him he could do anything with his life.)
      The compliment was nice until she soaked brought up his race in her typical narcissistic, self righteous post. Wendy the hero is now Wendy the Zero. With a bunch of lemmings giving her ‘likes’.
      That. Is. Not. anything. Strong. She also doesn’t get it which means this new FB page will just be more self congratulatory dramatic drivel. Her perspective and audience won’t be bringing any real issues to the forefront because she can’t get the hell out of her own way.

• Jojo
      April 5, 2016 12:18 am

What she said was racist and insensitive!!!!
      Shs puts all black people in a box together. AND in a ngative light!!!!
      This wasn’t about drug dealers,it was about retaliation and anger!!!!

30. Joseph Mayercheck
    April 4, 2016 6:18 pm

The truth of what Wendy said should be more important of how she said it. Name me a case where the community came forward to help police. This silence is what guarantees killings will not stop. Name me a case where the action groups helped police go after the drug dealers instead of complaining. You want these killings to stop, look within. I think Wendy said that. If you can’t stop the nasty rhetoric, at least pray for those that recognize where the problem really is and works to eliminate it.

31. Joseph Mayercheck
    April 4, 2016 6:19 pm

32. Janelle
    April 4, 2016 6:20 pm

Ya know, it would be one thing if she seemed like she understood the problem and felt bad about it. But here we are, and nope.

33. Joe
    April 4, 2016 6:24 pm

Everyone is quick to defend the 1st amendment until it’s not what they want to hear.

• mark
      April 4, 2016 7:20 pm

the right to free speech =/= the right to keep your job regardless of the things you say

• LK
        April 4, 2016 7:29 pm

PA is an “at will” employment state, NOT a “right to work” state. Google it.

• Mac
          April 4, 2016 9:09 pm

That makes no sense. “Right to Work for Less” refers to legality of enforceable union security clauses in the collective bargaining agreements (CBA) negotiated between an employers and a unions. (You’re correct, union security clauses are enforceable in PA.)

“At will” employment applies to the majority of folks in PA; management and non-represented (read no union representation) employees.

However, I am fairly sure WTAE on-air personalities are represented by AFTRA and also likely have personal services contracts with the station. The applicable “work rules’; wages, hours and conditions of employment would, no doubt, be defined by the two contracts)

34. KH
    April 4, 2016 6:30 pm

The quality of one’s character is often less about what they did to land them in hot water, and more about what they choose to do as they try to emerge from the situation.

Do they reflect and use the situation as an opportunity to stimulate dialogue? Do they admit their shortcomings and do everything in their power to endear themselves to the people that, right or wrong, have felt slighted by their remarks? Do they own their mistake and try to learn from it?

Or…do they make it all about them, the injustices and consequences that they, themselves have suffered and offer platitudes to the faithful who would most certainly take the bridge were it not for their words of enlightenment and comfort?

Curtain number 2, Monty.

I don’t mean to pile on. It wasn’t but a day or so ago that I felt kinda bad about the whole affair. I have been in the shoes of one who was hustled out the door for no plausible reason and I felt for her.

That is, until I saw the new Facebook page.

The shameless co-opting of a hashtag that is better suited as a rallying cry for a *real* tragedy and the maudlin and self-serving words that read, not surprisingly, like a human interest feature that is designed, with all of the right pauses and turns of both tragedy and salvation, to make us pause…think…and wipe a tear from our eye.

It is the reporter’s craft and the formula is well worn.

There also an objectivity that goes along with the job, or at least it is supposed to…an objectivity that might make it difficult to connect the dots when you, yourself, are the story.

Living with a highly ranked physician probably doesn’t help, either, and it might actually explain a lot.

There is an attitude that often goes along with saving lives and it can result in both a self-ascribed omniscience and an overestimation of their place in the universe in relation to The Almighty. I can imagine how that proximity might cause one to translate news reporting into a mission from God.

35. rob
    April 4, 2016 6:44 pm

Forget Wendy and move on. Let WTAE know that Wendy’s replacement can and should be a person of color that knows the difference between racial stereotypes and the truth.

• Ali
      April 4, 2016 9:12 pm

Seems to be a bit of a double standard in your comment. You are saying that Wendy is a racist for what she said. Now, you are implying that only a “person of color that knows the difference between racial stereotypes and the truth” could report the news. Seems that you are a hypocrite. Being a person “of color”, I take offense to your opinion. Any person that can read a teleprompter can report the news. Maybe it’s the news that they are forced to report every day that is the real issue here. Maybe, we should practice what We preach. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. We fight for eqality, but you’re taking steps backwards, not forward. Equality means equal. All of the time! Not just when you stand upon your soapbox!

36. Burgster
    April 4, 2016 6:45 pm

#pittsburghwrong

37. Hutch
    April 4, 2016 6:52 pm

Although I agree with your assessment of the hashtag, it is sad that until the blatant political correctness that permeates this string is killed off we will never get close to civility. The savage brutality that has been forced onto first the black community, but increasingly the entire community concerning single parent families will continue. A root cause analysis of the majority of violent crime and poverty in our country can be traced to lack of able and on hand fathers. If you cry out racism when someone identifies this it will only get worse.

38. Bill P
    April 4, 2016 6:59 pm

What if you and your minions used half of this energy to address the issues of black poverty and black crime in Pittsburgh? We all agree she should have been fired, however stat after stat says Pittsburgh is not the utopia you write about, especially in the black community.

We all agree Wendy Bell should have been fired, but if we keep ignoring the stats on poverty, homicide, etc and the disparity, we are all just as bad as she is. Maybe we are worse for saying nothing. Your post solves nothing.

• Rose
      April 4, 2016 7:17 pm

I kind of agree. I think she wrote this for clicks. What has she done for the community?

• Virginia
        April 4, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi, Rose.

I worked as the communications director for the Minority Enterprise Corporation nonprofit for six years helping minorities start businesses in Pittsburgh. I then spent six years as the communications director for the Negro Educational Emergency Drive, helping bridge the huge gap in post-secondary education for Pittsburgh’s black children.

I founded Make Room for Kids at the Mario Lemieux Foundation.

I serve on the board of directors of Haitian Families First and Genre’s Kids With Cancer Fund.

• Frank
          April 4, 2016 7:58 pm

The huge gap caused by single parent households the media ignores i.e. The root of problem? Pat yourself on the back much?

• Tricia
            April 4, 2016 8:57 pm

Maybe instead of asking what Virginia has done for the community, we should all ask that question of ourselves? Also, there are many ways to tackle the issue of black poverty and part of it is speaking out against the institutional and structural issues that keeps people in the place they are at. It’s more complicated than just the single-parent issue. For one, giving people the ability to own a home brings more stability to a neighborhood in comparison to the slum lord situation many people find themselves in. Open Hand ministries is one organization I support to help curb this problem.

Also, we could apply this logic to Wendy…what has she really done for the black communities in Pittsburgh? What is her real “skin in the game?” Has she lived with and known these black neighbors of hers…entered their world in an honest attempt to learn instead of “fix”? But let’s just focus on what she said: It might have been more believable as a cry of frustration over the “code of silence” some black communities face if she had phrased it better and had not randomly brought in that story of the bus boy. Especially when the identities of the suspects were not yet proven and it’s not like she’s going to do a better job of finding them than the authorities who are trained to deal do this. Worse, she ended up editing the original (and still didn’t come across well in the second iteration either, IMO) without any explanation. Worst of all, especially in light of her announcement of this Facebook page, she has not learned anything in this experience and playing the victim card (yeah the one that racists claim black people pull, somehow, Wendy is ok).

39. Rudybega
    April 4, 2016 7:11 pm

^^Yeah start solving shit Ginny!

40. LK
    April 4, 2016 7:12 pm

Thank you, PittGirl!!!! I stand with you. I’m not one of Bell’s minions. As TD posted here, the 1st amendment protects USA citizens from unwarranted prosecutor/punishment by the US Govt. That being said, her permanently typed words regarding “black family life”…many baby daddies, etc., showcases her prejudice, her ignorance, her egomaniacal tendencies.. She was stupid enough to post it on her employer’s site for all to see. Who isn’t aware of the repercussions? PA being an at will employee state, not a right to work one, she was rightfully fired. Many, many professions are held to a higher standard in their employ. I am one of them. ALL of us, should be held to the same accountability, when it comes to all of the protected groups….meaning no discrimination against anyone.
    I agree wholeheartedly that the slain police officers murdered on that call….deserve the #Pittsburgh Strong. Anyone else curious regarding Bell’s profiling education and experience???
    In closing, I am a white female single parent that is well educated. #StopRingingtheBell

41. Sarah
    April 4, 2016 8:04 pm

Whether you agree or disagree with her postings makes no difference to me. Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and generally people who participate in social media never keep them to themselves. What shocks me is that she’s been a public figure for so long she should know better than to share ANY personal thoughts and beliefs on social media. There is not a job in the world that you can participate in social media in connection with you workplace and coworkers that the end result is good. I have always refused Facebook requests/ect from coworkers and/or supervisors. It NEVER ends well. I’m sure many public figures have opinions that we don’t agree with or condone but the difference is they are smart enough to keep it to themselves.

42. Mary Nycum
    April 4, 2016 8:07 pm

Thank you for eloquently saying what needed to be said. People may love Wendy, people may admire Wendy, but no one can defend her racism or the fact that she is so isolated from reality. I grew up with a bigotted and racist uncle who I loved–but loving him did not make me not hate and be ashamed and embarrassed by his words and beliefs.

43. Henry
    April 4, 2016 9:51 pm

PittGirl go fly a kite. I support Wendy! #pittsburghstrong!

44. Lori P
    April 4, 2016 9:57 pm

….and just like that! You nailed it!

45. Pa-pop
    April 4, 2016 9:57 pm

BTW, just to be sure, we are NOT talking about Wendy Bell the Scottish Olympic curler, right? She’s got a FB page, too, ya know. #KiltsOnIce

46. Madonnna
    April 4, 2016 10:34 pm

If Wendy Bell is racist then, now I’m just guessing, all the black folks who are marching for peace in the streets in Wilkensburg, Homestead, Homewood, the Hill District…. now they’re all racist too right? OR is it only the white folks are racists? The rules change constantly. Wake up Pittsburgh!! I don’t know Wendy Bell, but she nailed it.

47. Kim H
    April 4, 2016 11:05 pm

Let’s move on PLEASE!!!! I know there are more important stuff in this city then a news anchor, she didn’t die, she didn’t save a life…. She expressed her opinions where she shouldn’t have.
    Again, let it go and let’s move on. And NO, #Pghstrong shouldn’t be involved here .

48. Rick
    April 5, 2016 1:00 am

Oh my god who cares shut up

49. john