Closure.

So I had this idea that I could kind of shrink into the shrubbery of the internet in a quiet, very non-dramatic way, and boy, did that not happen.

I’ve been writing about Pittsburgh for 11 years now as PittGirl and I’ve always been very open with you, and I guess my final column at Pittsburgh Magazine (which you should read because it’s my love letter to this city) wasn’t open enough because THE EMAILS. THE TWEETS. THE “WHAT THE ACTUAL FLIPPING MOTHERLOVING HELL?!?”S.

I didn’t give the Post-Gazette a comment because I had planned my July column to be the last I had to say for a while, but with former butler Woy’s encouragement (in the form of a text that read simply “CLOSURE”) I realized I owe you a deeper explanation.

In hindsight, I wish I had responded to the P-G’s request for comment with: “I gotta bounce; the jagoffs are making me stabby,” just to see if I could get the word jagoff into the P-G.

The jagoffs aren’t really making me that stabby. Here’s my real explanation:

I need a break. I need to recharge the creative areas of my brain. I need to not be so INSIDE the internet for a while. I need to step away, particularly from social media. I’m going to live in real life now, and I’m going to write some things I’ve been wanting to write for a very long time.

ThatsChurch.com will soon be redirected to its complete archives (including Burgh Blog archives) at VirginiaMontanez.com. The site will be working correctly in the next few days as background widgetry falls into place. Not really widgetry. I just like that word. There’s not much there now, but if you want to see it, you can use this link.

You’re not going to hear from me for a while, but when I’m ready and when I have something to say, that is where you will find me. I am not turning my back on Pittsburgh. I am not leaving the city (as if!). I am not turning my back on Make Room for Kids (AS. IF.) or any of the nonprofit boards I sit on. I am not sick. There is no trauma or drama happening in my life other than the bird that got in my house the other day and terrorized me for hours (15 seconds).

I made this decision months ago when I gave the magazine my three-months notice. WENDY BELL HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT AND SHE CAN CONTINUE TO KISS MY SWEET SWEET ASS.

And I promise you, PROMISE YOU, the person Pittsburgh Magazine has taking my place is going to make you feel every emotion I’ve ever made you feel. It is who I recommended would be perfect to take over the space. I cannot wait for you to see who it is. You will see how life always comes full circle.

Much love. See you soon. PittGirl out.

no-words-homer-into-brush

1. matt
    June 24, 2016 11:12 am

Couldn’t really express this in 140 characters, but I personally get it.

You’ve gotta do what’s best for you. Period.

If not, you’re of no use to anyone – especially a bunch of literal strangers on the internet. You and your family come first.

And anyone who disagrees with that really doesn’t have your best interests at heart. So you can safely ignore them.

Good luck to you. Sincerely. I’m sure you’ll be back with a vengeance at some point. And if not, that works too.

2. Karen
    June 24, 2016 11:14 am

Best wishes on living your “real” life, Virginia. I will miss you, but am happy to know you’ll still be living and loving in this beautiful city. And who knows, maybe I’ll see you while sipping a margarita and eating my favorite fish tacos!

3. Lisa
    June 24, 2016 11:17 am

Will miss you and your writing, but as another writer (and one who has been slammed on social media), I totally get it.

4. Brenda Graham
    June 24, 2016 11:18 am

yup.

5. Cathy
    June 24, 2016 11:32 am

Virginia – you will be missed – but I totally understand. Step back, breath and have a wonderful life. Oh and thank you.

6. rose
    June 24, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you, and enjoy your break. <3

7. Ben
    June 24, 2016 11:42 am

All the best, Ginny! Thank you for your work.

8. Jenny
    June 24, 2016 11:51 am

As much as this is devastating, I totally get it. I’ve given up social media during Lent the last 2 years. Last year, I eliminated the games (i.e. Candy Crush). This year, I never went back to Twitter or Instagram. In both cases, my life has improved as a result. (I find FB a good platform to keep up with friends & family – although sometimes it makes me ‘stabby’ as well.)

Truly, thank you for all that you’ve given us over the years. I hope you find the peace and creative nourishment you desire.

9. Lauren
    June 24, 2016 11:51 am

I’ve been reading your stuff for over 9 years, and what you put out there was some of the most well-written material I’ve ever read…hence keeping me enthralled for almost a decade, even though I no longer have any ties to Pittsburgh or Western PA (marriage, divorce, the whole bit). Good luck with everything in your future with your work, your family, and all the other non-Internet-y things!

10. Mike
    June 24, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for all the posts/columns/tweets! Enjoy your break.

11. Russ
    June 24, 2016 11:55 am

Thank you for all of it!

12. Amy
    June 24, 2016 12:05 pm

You are awesome. Thank you for everything. That is all.

13. Christa Cardone
    June 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Onward and upward! Can’t wait to see what you do next.

14. judi boley
    June 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for making me cry two days in a row…and the “CLOSURE”.
    As much as I (and thousands of other ‘burghers) will miss your writing, I wish you well in your future endeavors. Love to you & your family. Enjoy your break.

15. bluzdude
    June 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Thank you for the last 11 years of creativity, hilarity, inspiration, outrage, and brilliant writing. We will miss you.

16. Maureen
    June 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Best wishes for your future endeavors – awaiting something brilliant

17. Richie2Shoes
    June 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Thank you for your words. All of them.

18. Chris Travers aka Pa-Pop
    June 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Even though you and I have a difference of opinion on the place of origin of the cookie table (Youngstown dammit!), you are much loved and looked upon as an iconic part of The Burgh’ s landscape. But please don’t disappear like the Civic Arena.

Your minions should regard your absence as a creative sabbatical in the tradition of GB Trudeau and Berkely Breathed, however, if you become a virtual recluse like Bill Watterson, we may be obliged to take certain measures.

Meanwhile, be well, have fun, rechargeth thyself, and know how much we’re all looking forward to the first column by your PM successor Yarone Zober. Your magazine space will be taken over by the Dread Lord, right? Didn’t even know he could write…

19. Jen
    June 24, 2016 3:12 pm

We will miss you. I will miss you. But good for you! Enjoy! Relax! Can’t wait to hear what you have to say next, when you are ready!!!

20. Suzie-Q
    June 24, 2016 4:08 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing …your saucy attitude, your realistic and honest assessment of the truth…simply being “church” and “word”. I will miss your writing and totally understand the need to slowly slink into the shrubs.

21. Tom
    June 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Enjoy your time away. And don’t read this. Nope. Look away! Read nothing that’s neither bound nor foldable.

22. Leenyburgh
    June 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Can’t wait for your next iteration. Enjoy your break!

23. Nancy
    June 24, 2016 7:06 pm

I’m glad you listened to Woy. And I’m glad it’s a “See ya later” and not a “You will never hear from me again.” Enjoy real life. It’s the best place to be. :)

24. Shelley
    June 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for all the humor, the scoops, and reflecting our love of the ‘Burgh! Hope to hear from you so soon!!!

25. Hope
    June 24, 2016 9:01 pm

I wish you the best. You are a treasure and I hope to meet you some day. 😍

26. Magnus Patris
    June 24, 2016 9:12 pm

❤️

27. Betoon
    June 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Step away and don’t let anyone tell you you’re not doing the right thing. It’s all about you this time. You’ve given me many laughs and lots of things to ponder. You rock.

28. Stacey
    June 25, 2016 2:44 am

Have loved this for so many years from the far away land of California. ❤️ All the best to you.

• Sharon
      June 25, 2016 10:16 am

^ Stacey – you’ll always be a yinzer, even if you do live in wine country. I’ll always be one too, amidst the yanks. We are a resilient breed.
      Love, your sis.

29. Biggeorge
    June 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Oooooo ( wolf howling at the moon in loneliness)

I look forward to reading you again…..love good writing and Pittsburgh….and when the two combine even better…..see you on the other side….

30. Me Neither
    June 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Godspeed

31. Dave
    June 27, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for the (wholly unsatisfying ;-) explanation.

Can’t wait to see what Lukey does with the column.
    Does he get to change the title to PittBoy?

32. Scott
    June 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank you for your very entertaining column, and I hope that you enjoy your time “off” and come back refreshed and stronger than ever!

Last, Wendy Bell can also kiss my ass. Jagoff.

33. annietiques
    June 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Ginny, thank you for everything!!! Thank goodness I bookmarked some of my favorite posts, ie anything about David Conrad and self-united husbands!!! (especially “Once a dork, always a dork”, I laugh every time I read it!!) Enjoy your life!!!!!

July 5, 2016 1:56 pm

Love you, Ginny. Always will.

We’ll always have bojack.

35. facie
    July 7, 2016 8:43 pm

I read this while I was in TX. I almost jumped on a plane to come home. But I resisted the urge.

I will miss you. Best of luck. This internet craze will never be the same again. Just crazier.